To B or not to B, that is the question! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2009, 3:40 pm Thread Starter
Addict

To B or not to B, that is the question!

Can't find a Pilot Road 2 B tire anywhere, was told they are out of stock until September... hmmm, when riding season is pretty much over! So, what's your experience riding with a standard PR2 instead of the B rated? I ride an 04 GT, one up, but will have plenty of gear on board. Thanks!

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

The cure for boredom is riding motorcycles, and there is no cure for riding motorcycles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Addict

2004 K1200RS I ride it like I stole it.
Tire are like womem.

I just had my first set of PRII on "no B" and I thought they where very good. Felt just like Mich Pilot Powers.
I only got 4,000 miles when a big nail took out the rear, I installed MichPP rear, tire shop didn't have a PRII in stock.
I don't think the PRII would have given me but 2000 more miles. and it was started to slide some times, it never rains here and the streets get very slick. We got 1.5" this year.

When the Mich PRII tire went flat I was at 60MPH the bike was not as stable as when I lost a Metz M3 rear at the same speed about 8 months ago. But you may not care to ride a flat tire anywhy.

The front PRII is still going at 5,000 miles and is still looking and doing good.

The Avon ST45 and ST46 have been the best mileage at 7,300 and very good handling tire, except for the very low speed woble that I have heard they fix. I may give them a try next.

The Mich PRII rear does not do what I want.
But tires fit the indivdual as much as the bike and where you ride. So what does not work for some may be best for some others.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2009, 5:49 pm Thread Starter
Addict

i never had good luck with the Storms, only about 3800 miles and very cuppy. I don't like Z6s because I don't think a tire should sneak up on you, wear wise. I HATED the Conti's, they were bad in rain and just plain scary on tar snakes. So, since there are no PR2s, I just ordered the PRs, since i've never tried them before. I'll report back! I appreciate your help!

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

The cure for boredom is riding motorcycles, and there is no cure for riding motorcycles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2009, 5:54 pm
Addict

Oh no. They suck.

if you like to ride hard and who does not, get the Pilot Powers. and have FUN.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2009, 6:33 pm
2 heads are better than 1

I've heard the Conti Road Attacks are good and handle very well. A buddy of mine runs them on his GS and rips canyons to shreds on them. Not sure about mileage life, though.

You know my thoughts on the b rating, but my guess is you would be fine with a non-B PR2 rear. Just make Dean carry all of your gear.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2009, 11:08 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I've heard the Conti Road Attacks are good and handle very well. A buddy of mine runs them on his GS and rips canyons to shreds on them. Not sure about mileage life, though.

You know my thoughts on the b rating, but my guess is you would be fine with a non-B PR2 rear. Just make Dean carry all of your gear.
LOL! Did you ever try the Pilot Roads? I ordered a set of those with the B rated rear. I'm sure they'll be fine. I had a set of the Conti's and hated them. Dean thought it was just me so he put them on his bike, he took them off after one ride. They were horrible, esp on tar snakes, of which we have plenty. It's impossible to ride around all of them and still keep up with Jimbo!

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2009, 1:16 am
2 heads are better than 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebS
LOL! Did you ever try the Pilot Roads? I ordered a set of those with the B rated rear. I'm sure they'll be fine. I had a set of the Conti's and hated them. Dean thought it was just me so he put them on his bike, he took them off after one ride. They were horrible, esp on tar snakes, of which we have plenty. It's impossible to ride around all of them and still keep up with Jimbo!
Never tried the Pilot Roads; first chance to buy tires on the 12GT the PRss were out so I went with them. After 4500 miles of Bridgestones I would have taken just about anything this side of whitewalls. And yes, I completely get the keeping up with Jimbo thing, got to have the beer on ice by 5:30!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2009, 9:36 am
Veteran

Big differences between the Pilot Road and the PR 2..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 12:20 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
Big differences between the Pilot Road and the PR 2..
That's funny, because side by side rides on each, I can't really feel the difference. Maybe it will show up in overall mileage. I like the PRs pretty well, they were great on corners, tar snakes and in the rain, as were the PR2s.

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2009, 1:57 pm
Rookie

Not running a GT, but a K12S, I our conditions over here in the UK are probably a bit different to yours, but I have just replaced my rear Pilot Road 2 at 8000 miles, only got 4000 miles out of the Pilot Aport that was originally on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode