Advantages of club membership MOA vs RA - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 6:03 pm Thread Starter

Advantages of club membership MOA vs RA

I am member of my local BMW local club, but never looked into MOA or RA till now. Would like some opinions on which one is better, what they offer, some advantages and disadvantages and should I join both to try out.
Thanks for help.
Guls

Guls
2007 K1200R Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 9:12 am
Addict

I belong to both. MOA prides itself on it's monthly magazine, BMW ON, its website, BMW MOA, and its "International" rally. RA is a smaller organization with a smaller magazine, smaller website, BMW RA, and a smaller rally.

The BMW MOA International rally isn't international. It is held in the US every year. Once it was in Canada and the vendors had to go through customs which was more of a hassle. Since then there have been no MOA rallies outside the US. So much for International. Also, MOA tends to hold the rallies in the very northern states, usually within 350 miles of the Canadian border. Rarely does is it held in the South.

My opinion is that the MOA is driven by egos, which can be very counter productive. MOA seems to forget that it needs members more than members need it.

I recommend you join both. Remember all that gliders is not gold. A fancy magazine and fancy website are window dressing. Most people are satisfied with that. I live in the deep south and I want more representation from the MOA but it seems to cater more to its northern members.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, I also was surprised to see this years rally in Johnson city, TN.

Guls
2007 K1200R Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2009, 12:03 am
Will ride for picts

I belong to the MOA, haven't looked at the RA too much. The main benefit of MOA for me has been the Anonymous Book and the Roadside Assistance. I've used it twice this year, unfortunately. In the first instance, my bike was towed 92 miles on a flat-bed at no cost to me. There is some comfort knowing if you break down, you have a number to call.

Second instance was this weekend, returning from Paonia, CO. I broke down halfway between Delta, UT and Ely, NV. I now know why Highway 50 is called the "Loneliest Highway in America." There's nothing more lonely than feeling your bike lose power in the middle of nowhere:

View Larger Map

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2009, 6:56 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug
I belong to both. MOA prides itself on it's monthly magazine, BMW ON, its website, BMW MOA, and its "International" rally. RA is a smaller organization with a smaller magazine, smaller website, BMW RA, and a smaller rally.

The BMW MOA International rally isn't international. It is held in the US every year. Once it was in Canada and the vendors had to go through customs which was more of a hassle. Since then there have been no MOA rallies outside the US. So much for International. Also, MOA tends to hold the rallies in the very northern states, usually within 350 miles of the Canadian border. Rarely does is it held in the South.

My opinion is that the MOA is driven by egos, which can be very counter productive. MOA seems to forget that it needs members more than members need it.

I recommend you join both. Remember all that gliders is not gold. A fancy magazine and fancy website are window dressing. Most people are satisfied with that. I live in the deep south and I want more representation from the MOA but it seems to cater more to its northern members.
BMW MOA or BMW Motorcycle Owners of America does not go international, but I think they use the word international since members from around the world regularly show up each year at the Rally. There are some other pluses to the MOA, and you mention the Website, and Magazine. I have used both the website, and Magazine to sell stuff on the bulletin boards, quickly I might add. I'm curious why you think Northern States somehow get better treatment. I never noticed anything like that, unless you just mean the Rally locations. Remember the Rally is in July, and Texas is likely over 100 degrees in July, not ideal for a Rally. For a non profit volunteer organization I think they do a pretty good job.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2009, 4:39 pm

guls,, Both are great organizations, and have different offerings....

The MOA is by far larger and has a way bigger magazine,,, the RA has a smaller magazine but has much more gravitas in the mag.... MOA is way more concerned with being PC than the RA.... The only real sad thing is that BMW NA or AG could care less about these two fine outfits.....

Just my opinion...............Pete
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Rookie

MOA vs RA

Hi,
Iím a new member of both organizations. I attended both rallies, the MOA was in Johnson City, TN and the RA rally, Cannon Valley, WV. The MOA rally had 9,000 attend and the RA rally 1,500. I enjoyed both, the rally organization and vendor participation was better at MOA rally and the seminars were better at the RA rally. The Vice President (Pieter de Waal ) of BMW Motorrad spoke and answered questions at the RA rally.
The RA forum is hardly used, and there members like things the way they are. The MOA is more questioning of it self and strives to become bigger and better. To me this is the biggest difference between the two.
Hal
PS I drive a 06 K1200GT and get a lot more information about how to improve my bike on this forum than either the RA or MOA forums.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode