Almost a New Guy - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 5:08 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Almost a New Guy

Picking up an 07' K1200GT on Wednesday. I hope I can make the 650 mile trip home without any tickets.

RichM752
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 9:58 pm
Addict

Mt Shasta huh-nice area. Welcome. Please no threads about oil -ya hadda to be there. Pass by u twice a year-well 4x's going up to Vancouver BC twice every year. Next ride is 3rd week on October. I'll honk when i ride thru.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 7:17 am

Hey Rich,

Welcome to the madhouse and to the forums here.

Just remember, buying a GT is only the beginning of a long journey where you need to have deep pockets and a understanding SO.

Plenty of knowledge here, Meese will jump in shortly...He's an expert in GT matters

Cheers,

Bloke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 4:17 pm
Noob

Don't be shy to use the cruise control, it has saved my bacon on many a trip .Enjoy your ride home and it might take a few days to wipe the smile from your dial.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 7:59 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM752
Picking up an 07' K1200GT on Wednesday. I hope I can make the 650 mile trip home without any tickets.
Just have to go faster...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks guys.
Train to SF, fly to LA, taxi to bike.
I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motor sickle.

RichM752
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2009, 1:49 am Thread Starter
Noob

OK I'm home, with a little over 1k miles on the bike. Now I'm a new guy.

I picked up the bike in Orange CA, getting on the road at 1530 there was plenty of traffic to deal with. Split lanes north bound on I-5 for 1.5 hrs with only one minor mishap. Damn that big ole lane bogarting Ford pickup with the wide mirrors ( just a slight little scratch on my left mirror). Once I got to Gorman the wind was a bit of a challenge with all that sail area. Nothing more throttle didn't cure. Cruised at 85-90 up to Kettleman City, the sun was starting to set and I always try to be in a chair sipping a cold one for sunsets, so.......I Best Westerned it for the night.
On the road at 0630, stopped at Anderson's for pea soup and eggs for breakfast. Rolled into Williams and ate lunch at Granzellas. Stopped in Redding, visited a friends motorcycle shop. Then raced up the canyon the last 50 miles.

Rode a few hundred miles up here in the north state the last couple of days on my favorite roads.

The seat on this K1200 GT is something to be desired. 1st order of business was to call Rick Mayer to rectofy that problem, riding in on the 18th for a new seat.
Handlebar risers on order also, that forward leaning feels a bit odd for me, too many miles on an RT I guess.
Monday I call Valentine to order another hardwire kit, no doubt I'm going to need all the help I can get in the 'I fought the law and the law won' department.

I'm a little confused as to why BMW put only one power socket on the left side. The RT has two(as in rider and passenger heated vests). Once fall comes it gets brisk up here. My wifes butt will be warm with the spiffy heated seat, but no plug for her vest is going to be a problem.

This bike is smooth, and has plenty of power, even the torque at freeway speeds is impressive. I'm happy I live where the roads are open and in good condition. The bike will enjoy life up here.

RichM752
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2009, 3:07 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM752
OK I'm home, with a little over 1k miles on the bike. Now I'm a new guy.

I'm a little confused as to why BMW put only one power socket on the left side. The RT has two(as in rider and passenger heated vests). Once fall comes it gets brisk up here. My wifes butt will be warm with the spiffy heated seat, but no plug for her vest is going to be a problem.

Install a second fused socket wired to the battery for your electric heated clothing. The original (Canbus) socket cannot handle more than a heated vest. It has a limitation of 5 amps

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode