Why you should be at least 30 to own a bike. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:26 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Why you should be at least 30 to own a bike.

AKA...But for the grace of God. OR Alcohol and bikes...DON'T do it!

Most of the time when I read an article like this I just sort of shrug it off and think "the stupid idiot had it coming". However, I knew this guy pretty well. He worked on a project at our ranch for several months a couple of years back. Leaves behind a girlfriend and 13 month old baby.

Ours it quite a small community and my wife knows the crew that showed up to clean up. There wasn't much left but pieces, of him and the bike. They estimate he was going 150+ at the time. Gets into a fight with the girlfriend and zooms off on the bike at 3am drunk.

Stupid idiot? Yeah, at the time but he was a good guy. Would being over 30 have prevented it? Maybe. Just seems like the more time to mature the better. So any of you out there knowing a kid that wants to drop a few grand on the next RR ZX K 1300 0-60 in 2 seconds flat what ever....at least drop a bug in their ear about it. Too many kids going this route and it's a shame. These kids can walk into a dealer at 18 and get 20% interest loans on machines that they just shouldn't be riding until they get LOTS more experience under their belts. And it's a crying shame.

"By The Western News
A man died early Sunday morning in a motorcycle accident on Highway 2, south of Libby, the day before his 26th birthday.
Joshua Reid lost control of his motorcycle as he was traveling westbound at the end of the four lanes sometime between 3:45 and 4 a.m., according to Bryce Ford of the Montana Highway Patrol.

Reid was believed to have been speeding when he ran off the road and hit a patch of rocks, Ford said. Reid and his bike flipped over and rolled several times.

Speed and alcohol were factors in the accident, according to Ford. Though Reid was wearing a helmet, it fell off during the crash.

The accident wasnít discovered until after 6:30 a.m. Reid was pronounced dead at the scene. "

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:46 am

Any death on a bike or car is sad. My first bike was a 250cc Suzuki. I think a law similar to England where you can't ride a bike above a certain cc, I think 150, until you graduate to the next level, Also, a tougher test might be in order. I never thought making a 5 mph figure 8 proved much. Drinking precludes any sense of tragedy for me, but it's still sad. It might just as well have happened in a car or truck with speed and alcohol involved. Sad indeed.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:58 am
Rookie

Sad to hear. I teach at a career center for high school. Some of my students go out and buy sport bikes and have never riden before. I have a returning student (17) who's mom bought him a HD, first bike. I grew up in ILL and it was 150 until 18. Here in Missouri it' s "I have to have the fastest". Again sorry for the news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:03 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W

. So any of you out there knowing a kid that wants to drop a few grand on the next RR ZX K 1300 0-60 in 2 seconds flat what ever....at least drop a bug in their ear about it. Too many kids going this route and it's a shame. "[/I]
Right.

The only problem with that approach is the ones who need to hear
that advice just will not listen to us old goats giving it.

God His Ownself knows I've tried. Their eyes glaze over.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:49 am
Addict

Just gotta remember what it's like to be a kid/young person (mmm..I don't have much trouble with that according to the wife/friends )

My daughter, on the back of an R1 a few years back, neither is wearing gear. I had a talk with that girl but..

what sealed the deal for both of them (I knew they were in the house), I was looking at nasty, bright colored in your face road rash pic's/sad stories (remember the girl who flew off the sport bike and ground her best frontal parts off on the pavement?)..

all i heard was a 'eeewwwww' behind me and "WHAT are you looking at?"

oh nothing, just some folks who didn't have gear on when they hit the ground..by the way, remember, skin is an organ, you lose too much, you lose period.

it worked...believe it or not.

And I have to say, all those years of yakking about driving drunk to the kids, it worked. I started on them soon as they could comprehend what I was telling them. You just can't go back so don't go there in the first place.

it is a shame. could have been me several times, minus the alchohol. no matter, speed + impact kills, independent of how you get there. I strive to stick to the speed part only
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2009, 1:44 pm
Addict

while many young people make bad decisions there's no guarantee those same people will make better decisions at any age. there's a lot of stupid people who are a lot older than 30 that shouldn't be riding a bike or driving a car. i don't want the government setting any arbitrary age limit for purchasing a bike or car. this same person could have easily killed himself in a car had he been driving drunk at a 150 mph. bikes are like guns in that people get all spun up when something bad happens with them. a SUV being driven on the wrong side of the road kills 8 people and its just a tragic accident but a lone rider kills himself driving drunk and people start talking about being 30 before you can own a bike. no flame intended
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
while many young people make bad decisions there's no guarantee those same people will make better decisions at any age.
Yep. A couple of years ago in Austin there was a retired police sargent that been drinking in a bar all afternoon. He and his wife got on the Harley and didn't make the first big turn in the road. Killed em both. Cost the bar owner his liquor license.

As Ron White says, 'You cain't fix stupid'.

I too am not big on 'government help', but I don't see anything wrong with some restrictions on first time riders (regardless of age) for the first year they ride.

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2009, 2:15 pm
Enthusiast

Some are more mature than others. It isn't the governments job to be the maturity police, but it is the rider's friends, family, and neighbors job to show them the ropes
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2009, 1:54 am
Veteran

i must say that i wasn't as educated about riding when i was young. at a younger age, i was much more careful that i have been in my latter years. at times, as my confidence grew i push myself a bit more. i guess it all depends on the individual. I know that most sport riders will not drink anything and ride. I know that almost all my harley buddies do drink and ride, it seems to be a way of life for them. barhopping.

also, if you have checked the latest stats, it is the 40+ rider on a 1200+ cc cruiser type motor cycle that has the highest death rate now. not the 18 year old squid sport bike rider.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2009, 4:05 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckheinch
i must say that i wasn't as educated about riding when i was young. at a younger age, i was much more careful that i have been in my latter years. at times, as my confidence grew i push myself a bit more. i guess it all depends on the individual. I know that most sport riders will not drink anything and ride. I know that almost all my harley buddies do drink and ride, it seems to be a way of life for them. barhopping.

also, if you have checked the latest stats, it is the 40+ rider on a 1200+ cc cruiser type motor cycle that has the highest death rate now. not the 18 year old squid sport bike rider.
There is stupid and there is normal young male behavior.
There is a mountain of information on the problems of youth today, (I already sound like my dad).
Young men are hard wired to take risks. It is in our genes and has been there for thousands of years.
Young men used to have to fight wild animals to eat and fight enemies to survive.
The fighting enemies bit has been with us for most males up until the last century when we slowed that down a whole lot.
Young men are naturally full of testosterone and are risk takers, admittedly some more than others.
As im sure most of us can attest to from formative years, just add alcohol and the braver you get. Some of the best fights I ever lost were down to a bar that sold fighting beer.
I digress, I know that not many people like over regulation but if we accept that our young men are naturally prone to needing to prove themselves to peers, taking risks and lacking wisdom, maybe a HP ratio to experience factor for inexperienced or younger riders would help.
One of my first bikes was a Honda 750/4. At that time it was one of the fastest bikes around and it had about 60 HP. A new Hayabusa has about 180! 3 times as much.
I totally agree that you cant regulate for stupid but you can regulate to give as many of these young guys as we can a chance to get old.
In this case it may not have made any difference but Im sure that in the big picture it would.
My condolences to this young mans family.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode