A bad riding season so far, but I'm hoping for a better finish. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:00 pm Thread Starter
Will ride for picts

A bad riding season so far, but I'm hoping for a better finish.

Question:
What happens when an alternator goes bad?

Answer:

Question:
What's it take to get to the alternator?

Answer:
A lot of work:

It just hasn't been my year. Sometimes I wonder if I should just start doing something else, like flying.

March:
A friend was hit by a left turner and seriously injured early this year. He probably won't ride again.

April:
Another good friend was rear ended on her motorcycle by a drunk driver and killed. RIP Liz , I miss your smile.

June:
I hit a rock, blew out a tire, and bent a rim on the way home from the Chief Joseph Rally.

July 26th:
The alternator goes out and I'm stranded on "The Loneliest Road in America."

August:
The entire month goes buy as I tear into the bike and wait for parts. My real work intervenes and I need to work extra hours.

I just finished putting it back together yesterday, August 24th.

Sometimes I think its time to quit. Then I start to feel the pull of the road. Four days after reassembling this collection of metal, rubber and plastic, I'm riding to Colorado, and then on to Rapid City, SD. Am I too dense to know when to quit? Am I addicted?

Yes, and yes. I can't wait to get going. Friday morning, I'll once again be running down the road, in search of another adventure. It doesn't hurt that my honey will be waiting for me at the end of a long ride.

It's moments like these that keep me going. I guess I'll keep riding.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:28 pm
Addict

A fine tale Rich of sadness and frustration... yet hope, blessings, and beauty. Your pictures captured it well.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:40 pm
JCW
contributor

Keep on going!

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2009, 2:33 am

That's a tough story, especially losing your friend, I feel for you and her family.

It's great though that the great biking spirit lives on and you can't wait to get back out there after all your bad experiences, because we all know there's lots of good ones waiting for us!

LOVED the sun behind the clouds shot, very prophetic, behind every cloud there is a silver lining waiting to come out and be discovered. Enjoy the rest of the year!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2009, 9:21 am
Enthusiast

RH Hall
Sometimes you just need to call it a day. I was headed south of the 405 in Huntington Beach and an accident happened on the north bound side with debris flying everywhere. Then on Ortega Hwy. 30 minutes later an accident happened right in front of me across the street. Then on I-15 south another accident happened about 50 yards in front of me with a blown tire heading towards Temecula. After 3 accidents in less than 2 hours when we stopped in Temecula I decided to call it a day. The karma was just too bad.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2009, 12:40 pm
2 heads are better than 1

Sorry for all your trials and tribulations; I know it's been a rough year for you and some of our other friends. Sometimes the universe does that to us, maybe to help us appreciate the good things in life, maybe to remind is that our time here is precious. Whatever the reason, we're still here, and we get to ride, ride ride like the wind for the next couple of weeks! Rob, Bob and I are meeting up with Deb and Dean in Dubois, WY Saturday evening to ride on to CCR together. Stop by for a beer or to tag along if you want. I think you ride quick enough for our little crew.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2009, 5:33 pm
Veteran

Ride well. Ride safe.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2009, 6:23 pm
Looking for better limits...

LIfe seems to have it's interesting interruptions. Except for Liz ... sorry to hear of her passing.

I came across one of these on Mosquito Road between Placerville and Swansboro:

Didn't do well with it either:

That was Aug. 9th. On the 19th, they stuck a needle in my arm, and I noticed a chill creeping up my left arm ... followed by something totally different on my left leg and a different lady asking "From 1 to 10, how much does it hurt?" Didn't realize that by telling her "2" when she asked the third time that she was going to stop putting stuff in that tube. I blame the anesthesia wearing off clouding my judgement.

Ended up with a bimalleolar fracture, which means each knob on my ankle was fractured or broken. It's in a splint now, hopefully, I'll get a weight-bearing cast on the 3rd of Sept. with hopes of getting up to Ft. Bragg in October, but will have to see how it goes. 8 weeks is a long time to go without riding ...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 5:39 pm Thread Starter
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel

Ended up with a bimalleolar fracture, which means each knob on my ankle was fractured or broken. It's in a splint now, hopefully, I'll get a weight-bearing cast on the 3rd of Sept. with hopes of getting up to Ft. Bragg in October, but will have to see how it goes. 8 weeks is a long time to go without riding ...
Jeez Ray!

Man, this is a bad year. That's two friends hurt. And no trip to Snowshoes Brewing Company. Sheesh.

Dave Taylor: Wish I could join you, but Maria has the kids so we can't head to CCR until Tuesday. I'm tempted to ride with you guys on Saturdy and Sunday, then go get her on Monday.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 6:40 pm
2 heads are better than 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhall
Jeez Ray!

Man, this is a bad year. That's two friends hurt. And no trip to Snowshoes Brewing Company. Sheesh.

Dave Taylor: Wish I could join you, but Maria has the kids so we can't head to CCR until Tuesday. I'm tempted to ride with you guys on Saturdy and Sunday, then go get her on Monday.
That's a damned fine option If you do that we're at the Chinook Winds Mountain Lodge, in case you need to book a room.

http://www.chinookwindsmountainlodge.com/

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode