K1300S vs. K1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2009, 3:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1300S vs. K1300GT

I've been away for a while - It's been about 3 years since I sold my '03 KRS and moved to a 12GS. But I've gotten the itch to get another K bike, and I've been struggling to decide between a GT or an S. The GT is an obvious choice if I decide to keep the GS as my daily commuter. But if I decide to get rid of the GS, then I'm not so sure.

Here are the factors that I have been weighing.

90% of my riding is commuting into and out of Chicago (50 miles each way) via the expressway. 1/2 the time I'm stuck in stop-n-go traffic, and the other 1/2 I'm pushing the GS as fast as I reasonably can (probably faster than I should). The other 10% is two-up toruring. I ride year round as long as the roads are not iced up. My riding style can probably be called "aggressive/defensive" if that makes sense.

I loved (and miss) the Hp and high speed performance of the KRS, but find the ergonomics and slow speed handling of the GS to be much more user friendly in heavy traffic and within the city. I'm 5"-9" and about 210#.

No doubt that either of the K1300's will give me all the performance I am looking for. And the GT will be the better choice for two-up touring and will have mre comfortable ergonomics. But will the S be a better choice when it comes heavy traffic and city driving? Unfortunately, I have not yet even had a chance to sit on either bike, so I can't get a sense of how the ergonomics of the new K bikes compare to either by GS or my '03 KRS.

I would love to hear from anyone that can comment on the above and share soem insights. Thanks.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2009, 7:51 pm
Addict

Neither of these bikes strike me as particularly great as heavy traffic-city bikes. For traffic the GT's side cases stick out and will have to come off. If I had to pick one I'd get the S and keep the GS for the rest of your riding.

I'm sure you'll get as many opinions as there are people that respond.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 6:23 am

My dealer had a ride day last weekend so I took out an S for a ride. Found it to be an awesome piece of machinery, even found the indicator switch no problem!!!! The only issue was with the ergonomics of the bike. I found the riding position far to cramped and put to much pressure on my forearms to be comfortable. This however is me with a dodgy knee and crook back rather than the bike. Oh to be twenty years younger, I'd get one in a flash.

Don't know about the GT as they didn't have one available but I suspect it would be similar to my 1200GT which suits me fine.

For traffic get one of those over powered scooters. Bloke I know has a 650 scooter and in traffic I wouldn't want to race him(LOL). lhendrick is quite, right these high performance bikes aren't designed for heavy traffic, bur then again what is. I kinow I'm not.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 6:54 am
DrD

I live about 25 miles west of DC. I used to regularly commute in on the bike (thankfully a change in assignments has me working close to home most of the time). My KGT works fine in heavy traffic, either moving or stop/go. The seating position is comfortable for the crawling times and the motor keeps up with any faster sections. The right side does start to get hot in hot weather, but that is true for any large displacement bike in stop/go traffic.

I don't understand why Ihendrick thinks the bags are an issue. Either on the freeway, or on the city streets, I haven't had a problem with them. I don't lanesplit; they might be a problem then.

When parking, so moving the bike at 1 mph, I can feel the weight. However, I have not had an incidents, or even near misses, and I sometimes have to park on ramps. Sometimes you have to be creative:

When in doubt, apply more throttle.
2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite, "#4, the Dancing Hippo"
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 7:11 am
Addict

You might have overlooked a very capable alternative. Take a look at the RT might be just what your looking for.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 7:31 am
Veteran

I commute daily with a K1200GT. It isn't an ideal bike for a daily commute, but it isn't bad either. I leave the side cases at home and attach the 49 liter top case. When I get to work, I take out my laptop and lock my helmet and jacket inside the top case. In the office, I take off the outer riding pants and trade my boots for regular shoes.

Here in California, you can split lanes in heavy traffic. The side cases are easily scratched, and removing them gets rid of any worries of an accidental touch. The KGT's high mirrors allow an easy heads-up/eyes-forward view of traffic while judging the relative position of the bike in lanes.

The K1200GT (K1200S) isn't as easy to ride in heavy stop-and-go traffic as it should be, because of well known fueling problems - the motor hesitates and bucks at low RPMs. I bought a PowerFRK to fix this issue, but haven't had time to install it yet (soon!). BMW solved this issue on the K1300GT (K1300S).

I prefer the GT over the S because of its many extra features and versatility, The riding position (with adjustable handlebars!) suits me well. I especially like the cases and how easy they are to attach and remove.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
You might have overlooked a very capable alternative. Take a look at the RT might be just what your looking for.
Or not. The RT engine can get really hot when stopped in traffic for long periods of time. On the other hand, with Chicago's road conditions, a GS might be a far better option. Perhaps a good compromise might be an F800GS. Quick enough, able to handle those dreadful potholes and liquid cooled.

I don't think my K12GT's shocks would last on those roads.

Last edited by MG37221; Aug 29th, 2009 at 12:39 pm. Reason: Confused posts.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 9:45 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMilz2
1/2 the time I'm stuck in stop-n-go traffic, and the other 1/2 I'm pushing the GS as fast as I reasonably can (probably faster than I should).
Haven't ridden the k1300s but would assume it would similar to my K1200r in stop and go traffic. If so, it won't be a lot of fun to ride in that paricular situation. Bike requires a lot of attention below 20 mph. Can't comment on the GT, but assume it would be better.

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:32 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG37221
Or not. The RT engine can get really hot when stopped in traffic for long periods of time. On the other hand, with Chicago's road conditions, a GS might be a far better option. Perhaps a good compromise might be an F800GS. Quick enough, able to handle those dreadful potholes and liquid cooled.

I don't think my K12GT's shocks would last on those roads.
I'm not interested in an RT as a replacement for my current R12GS. I love the GS for heavy traffic, but once the road opens up I miss my old K12RS. I find myself regularly pushing the upper end of the GS. If I decide to move away from the GS, I will definitely move to one of the K1300 bikes.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:50 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by westridge
My dealer had a ride day last weekend so I took out an S for a ride. Found it to be an awesome piece of machinery, even found the indicator switch no problem!!!! The only issue was with the ergonomics of the bike. I found the riding position far to cramped and put to much pressure on my forearms to be comfortable. This however is me with a dodgy knee and crook back rather than the bike. Oh to be twenty years younger, I'd get one in a flash.

Don't know about the GT as they didn't have one available but I suspect it would be similar to my 1200GT which suits me fine.

For traffic get one of those over powered scooters. Bloke I know has a 650 scooter and in traffic I wouldn't want to race him(LOL). lhendrick is quite, right these high performance bikes aren't designed for heavy traffic, bur then again what is. I kinow I'm not.

Cheers
When traffic gets crazy, my commute can take me 2+ hours one way. On days like that, my old K12RS would leave me a bit fatiqued and stiff. My dealer has sold the last 09 K13S they had, so I can even sit on one to see if the riding position is similar, better or worse than my old RS.

I wouldn't even consider anything smaller than my R12GS for commuting. The pace and intensity of traffic can change in a heartbeat. I might have a 5 mile stretch of stop-n-go traffic that creeps along at 5-10 mph, then it will relax and I can work through traffic doing 50 mph, and then it will open up and I'll be doing 80-doing 100+ mph.

Moreover, the reality is that many Chicago drivers would not "respect" a scooter or small bike. I'm constantly "defending" my lane. As much as I hate to admit it, my best defense has been to ride somewhat aggressively and with a hint of intimitation (but without being a jerk).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode