pain between shoulder blades - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2009, 7:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

pain between shoulder blades

New street bike rider. I have a 03 k-1200rs. Went on 400 mile ride. I had lots of pain between my shoulder blades. Some back pain near end of ride. Is there any fix? Thanks Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2009, 8:38 pm
Veteran

Lots of stuff missing in the question.

Age?
Physical shape?
New rider tenseness?
Bad posture?

If it's age, everything hurts after anything. Trust me. Better to focus on what doesn't hurt. Takes less time to count what doesn't hurt too, imho.

Then there are meds too....at the end of the ride, or maybe an Advil or something beforehand if it's really bothering you. I've had (anti-motorcycle) docs tell me 25 years ago that I needed to stop riding motorcycles for my own health and safety. Hasn't done much good - or so it seems.

Fwiw, sometimes I get a really bad right neck and shoulder cramp if I don't get off the thing and do a Walk-About to relax and stretch the sore muscles out a bit. Might be helmet buffeting or the sheer weight of it. Dunno why, but riding more than an hour without doing some sort of stretching or something always leads to a cramp someplace.

The car is good for maybe 400 miles before it needs to stop for a break (gas). I'm not.

Mack
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2009, 9:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

pain

Thinks Mack, I will be 62 this month. I have raced dirt bikes for almost 40 years. I still do. I am in pretty good shape. I am 5' 10" ( use to be 5' 11") you sink over the years, 160 pounds. Could fighting the wind cause the pain? Would taller windshield help? Bar backs? Thinks again. Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2009, 10:31 pm
Veteran

Your riding position on the RS is probably much more forward and aggressive then anything you're used to and you're using a completely new set of muscles. Ride some more and maybe you'll break yourself in, maybe not. Maybe a set of bar backs? Or maybe a GT.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 6:40 pm
Addict

Talking

Could be the bike is too smooth for you, you need to be in a paint shaker off road.

It could be the wind over the windscreen, it does have a lot of turbulance. I am about the same age and height but have 30 lbs more and have never had any pain as you in over 7 years on this model.

You may need bar backs.

One other think, I had noticed when getting on a new ride, you may just be tense from the excitement and that will cause your muscles to tighten up.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 6:54 pm

May be you are locking your elbows, that will keep your back in one position...causing pain. I've noticed that when I ride, at times I'll lock my elbows or back when riding the hwy.

Guls
2007 K1200R Sport
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 8:08 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazra
...One other thing, I had noticed when getting on a new ride, you may just be tense from the excitement and that will cause your muscles to tighten up.
+! on that.

When I test ride anything, I get tense. The Ducati Streetfighter I rode was much the same even though it was easily more flickable and half the weight of the GT. You just naturally tighten-up on an unknown.

When I bought the GT, I took it for an immediate 1000 mile trip before the first scheduled service (Yeah. 600 miles and then some.) a week later before heading home. I was tight the whole trip learning the thing and did a few dumb moves in the interim too which didn't help.

Somewhere I once heard that one is to "Never take a pillion on the bike until you've got 1000 miles on it so you can learn and meld with it." May explain your tightness still.

You may loosen up in time. Good luck and enjoy the beast.

Mack
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Fwiw, sometimes I get a really bad right neck and shoulder cramp if I don't get off the thing and do a Walk-About to relax and stretch the sore muscles out a bit. Might be helmet buffeting or the sheer weight of it. Dunno why, but riding more than an hour without doing some sort of stretching or something always leads to a cramp someplace.
Mack
Hmmmppphh, me, too on the K1200GT. Right shoulder, way up high where it meets my neck. Makes it hard to take the helmet off after awhile. Sometimes, I've got tears streaming down my face (I'm a girl, I can do that ;-p) as the muscles burn while removing my helmet.

On my RT, not so much. I can ride twice the distance before I feel the ache. Thought it was just me.

The GT is a much more aggressive forward lean angle, whereas the RT is laidback cruiser style. Now that I think about it, using the mouse at my workstation causes the same ache. Maybe, I should have my chair and desk traded in for an RT cockpit. Just a thought.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2009, 9:17 pm
Enthusiast

Try to be aware of your posture the whole trip, this will really contribute to the fatigue. Until it become second nature you will fall back on your old habbits (bad posture). I had a lot better time when I consciously relax. Also when I got some techspec tank grip side pads that I could support myself with my knees and legs this really helped my distance riding.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2009, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawprint2104
Thought it was just me.
Nope nope ... you are in good company. Was not nearly so bad until the 5 day stint I just did, it has never gone away. Need to sort it out because the bike stays ... so the shoulder better shape up or it goes bye bye.

- CRASH -
IBA# 21680
"Motorcycles and beer, that is how I know there is a God and that he loves us."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode