Waiting for Battery to Charge - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 6:30 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Waiting for Battery to Charge

Well was going to go out to Neaha Bay, WA this morning from Auburn, but went to start motorcycle and battery barely cranked. Just wanted to post a heads up and maybe most of you guys already know this. I did not connect my battery tender this past 9 days. I do have a radar detector and ipod charger on the bike that were connected to both via the battery direct.. I think that even with the ignition off that a small amount of power draw is present. Similar to a home wall adapter in a socket even if it is not plugged into an appliance. Hope a couple of hours on the charger will do the trick so I can head out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 7:16 am
Noob

I know my R1200GS wouldn't go more than a week not connected to the charger as I had my autocom and Zumo wired directly to the battery. I have not connected my K1300 yet but so far I have not fitted the GPS or Autocom and so far it has been OK. I would think your bike should be OK with a charge up and a good run

Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 8:23 am
Addict-oholic

My 06 Gt and now my 1300GT have had no battery rundowns. I have my accesories including GPS, all hooked direct to the battery through a Centech fuse panel switched by the headlights. Not a problem. the bike was on the charger once or twice and only if I was not riding for a month.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 11:23 am
Enthusiast

I've had that problem with my '06 KR a couple of times after it had been sitting for 2 weeks (know I need a new battery). Not enough juice to turn the bike over. First time I push started the bike and was off. Second time I jump started it. In both cases 20 min of riding and battery was sufficiently charged to start the bike.

I don't have a battery tender as I usually ride at least once a week which is usually enough to keep the battery in 'starting condition' (still need to replace the battery)

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 11:52 am
Addict

If your battery is more than two years old or does not crank the engine fast enough you should use a battery tester to determine if the battery is in good condition.

These bikes, with their on board electronics, do draw some electricity when parked. I have not taken an amp reading to find out how much, but it is very little. All automotive batteries will discharge by themselves even when disconnected it is part of their chemical reaction.

A battery that is in good condition will hold a charge for much longer than two weeks on these bikes with the key in the OFF position and accessories off. (But the battery will not be fully charged)
I have a radar detector and a GPS connected directly to the battery, and shut them off when I park the bike.

A battery can go bad at anytime in its life. Keeping a battery on a trickle charger and fully charged will extent the life of a battery and other electrical equipment on the vehicle.

When a battery is not fully charged and used to start the engine it will cause the starter to draw more AMPS and heat the starter and connections more than normal. When the engine starts the alternator must now produce more AMPS to charge the low battery causing the Alternator to heat more and wear out sooner.

Happy Motoring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode