Selling a vehicle to someone in Canada - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 4:53 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Selling a vehicle to someone in Canada

What are any "special issues" or requirements for doing business with a Canadian customer? This would be a private party to private party transaction. My 07 K1200GT needs to move and by the way it's on Ebay now loaded with tons of stuff including Zumo 550. Its been a dismal year in terms of riding for me, having hand/wrist trouble and so part timing at best on my air head RS looks like all the kicks I'm going to get out motorcycling for a while maybe forever. Thanks for the consideration, b4udoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Usually nothing...just make sure either they give you cash OR cashiers check/ MO has to be payable at US bank. Just give them the title and your job is done.

Guls
2007 K1200R Sport
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2009, 10:45 am
Enthusiast

Canadian buyer

b4udoo
I believe the Canadian buyer has to produce documentation (letter) that the bike has no recalls outstanding and that is road worthy. You could help the buyer by taking it to a local BMW dealer and have this done which in turn expedites the sale for you. I heard either the Canadian government or Canadian BMW dealers were charging $500 for this documentation. I don't know if this is still going on or not. This was an attempt to keep Canadians from buying in the U.S. where the resale price for a used BMW was far below Canadian used bike prices. Good luck with your sale.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2009, 5:09 pm
Enthusiast

Yes, the Canadian buyer needs a Recall Clearance letter from BMW which states there are no outstanding recalls on the bike. One use to be able to call BMW NA (USA) and they would fax it to you immediately but not any longer. There is an agreement between BMW NA and BMW Canada not to do so. The Canadian buyer must take the bike to a Canadian BMW dealer for a $500 inspection and will then receive the clearance letter and a statement that the bike complies with Canadian standards. This is totally a money grab. All that is required from BMW is the clearance letter of which is definitely documented within BMW NA 's database. The inspection is not required for the clearance letter nor is an inspection for Canadian compliance by BMW required. An inspection is required by a certified inspection place and the cost is included in the Registry of Imported Vehicles (RIV) fee. BMW Canada dealers are not certified RIV inspection places and if they were, cannot charge the customer for it. So you pay $500 to BMW Canada for a computer printout from BMW NA. Can you tell I'm still miffed about that one??

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2009, 5:17 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Canadian BS

Thanks for the info on importation to Canada, this confirms what I thought was going on, it appears to have screwed up a deal for at this time
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 12:01 pm
Noob

Canadian buyer

I am Canadian and bought two bmw bikes from American dealers, one two months ago. The Canadian buyer requires a copy of ownership to fax to american customs as there is a 72 hour period after customs receives said ownership before the bike can be allowed across border.( title search for liens etc.) As an American seller accept only cash, bank draft, or certified check . DO NOT release the bike until your bank clears the draft or check. (5 to 7 days) You may obtain a recall document from your area dealer which will make your bike more attractive to a Canadian buyer. In most cases if you are dealing with an interested Canadian your bike is sold and money quickly follows. Hope this helps take some of the fear of cross border deals.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2010, 7:10 am
Rookie

There is a lengthy and usefule discussion about importation of vehicle to Canada in this forum URL below:

Importing a Motor Vehicle to Canada (the be all to end all)

Cheers.

- Robert
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2010, 10:27 am
Veteran

And here too, funny as to Canadian Tire being the designated inspection facility.....for motorcyles.....!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272413

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode