How come BMW escapes the stalling recall issue? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2009, 8:03 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Question How come BMW escapes the stalling recall issue?

From the Ducati forum I saw this:

Ducati, Buell, Honda, and Yamaha recalled. The stalling seems to be more of a concern on a Ducati Streetfighter and the Yamaha FJR1300. BMW slips by again.

When I saw that article on the BMW bikes catching on fire and nothing being done by the government, I thought "Someone is bring paid off." That's been listed here before and on the government's incidents and findings reports. All they get is a "foaming brake fluid" recall which I guess is less than a fire or stalling?

Then I get a recall for a "floor mat removal" in my Toyota as "It may cause the gas pedal to stick or wad up on the accelerator pedal." Seriously, If I cannot turn off the key, shift into neutral, or step on the brake (either) to slow down a runaway car maybe I shouldn't have a license. Next will be the "Hood blows open at highway speeds so "We recommend all car owners to remove their hoods."

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2009, 10:22 am

Why issue a recall if the issue hasn't been resolved yet?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2009, 11:34 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
From the Ducati forum I saw this:

Ducati, Buell, Honda, and Yamaha recalled. The stalling seems to be more of a concern on a Ducati Streetfighter and the Yamaha FJR1300. BMW slips by again.

When I saw that article on the BMW bikes catching on fire and nothing being done by the government, I thought "Someone is bring paid off." That's been listed here before and on the government's incidents and findings reports. All they get is a "foaming brake fluid" recall which I guess is less than a fire or stalling?

Then I get a recall for a "floor mat removal" in my Toyota as "It may cause the gas pedal to stick or wad up on the accelerator pedal." Seriously, If I cannot turn off the key, shift into neutral, or step on the brake (either) to slow down a runaway car maybe I shouldn't have a license. Next will be the "Hood blows open at highway speeds so "We recommend all car owners to remove their hoods."

Mack
Part of the reason may be that these issues cause the bikes to become inoperable whereas the stalling problem the K1300s are experiencing at least allows for a restart.

Of course, I can't understand how they've skated so long on the FD failures. That has potential catastrophe written all over it.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2009, 2:32 am
Addict

I remember a lot of publicity some years back, after a leo was killed on a bike whose RD seized at speed. ABS won't help you and for most it will be a spill off.

I take a lot of care with any work I do on my RD and at the slightest suspicion of an oil leak or wheel play I'll fix it. I would rather be pro active doing my own regular RD checks than wait for a recall notice to arrive. Same goes for fitting metal QD's. That's what sharing on K-bikes is all about.

I can't ever see the RD issue being fixed without a larger redesigned housing and wheel bearing to take more side thrust.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Oct 8th, 2009 at 2:38 am.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Just got back from testing a k1300 at the dealership. The salesman had an article about the stalling issue. It is apparently happening in the USA since we put ethanol in our gasoline. Some states put more ethanol than others.

The suggested fix is to out a fuel injection cleaner mixed with you gasoline.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode