rode a Wing today - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 7:47 pm Thread Starter
Addict

rode a Wing today

A work buddy offered up a ride on his '08 Wing this afternoon. The weather was perfect, so I figured why not.

I was concerned about being cramped because just sitting on it, I felt cramped. Not the case at all. I'm 6'3" and weigh in around the 250 mark and I fit fine. It rode really well - plenty of power, especially torque. Smooth ride. Shifted well, although I did have to look down at first to find the shifter. The pegs are a tad forward compared to the GT, but nothing cruiser-like. Brakes seem good, maybe not as good as the GT or LT, but then this is one heavy beast. Handling was good, but no way it's gonna keep up with a GT; you'd be grinding pegs and body parts even trying.

The good points:
- good handling
- smooth as silk motor
- smooth shifting
- good power
- good brakes

The nits:
- where'd my electric windshield go?
- where's the gear indicator? Damn, gotta count and remember gears again.
- I felt like I was sitting IN the bike as opposed to sitting ON the bike. Make sense?

I gotta tell ya, if I was in the market for a 2 up touring, it would be a very close race between the Wing and the LT. As much as I loved my LT, that Wing is really sweet.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 8:00 pm

I swapped bikes with a buddy recently to try his Goldwing . I really liked it. A lot better than the LT for me. But, when I got back on my GT I just couldn't stop grinnin. Maybe someday...

"08 K1200GT
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 7:40 am
Veteran

I sat on my brothers wing and then got off...nope..this isn't it...WHOLE different mind set...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 5:07 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
I sat on my brothers wing and then got off...nope..this isn't it...WHOLE different mind set...
+1

Ride quite often with a buddy who has a wing, the range is not as good as the GTs either.
We always have to stop to get fuel for him first, especially if I lead.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 11:48 pm
Noob

A friend and I used to swap bikes. He had a Wing. Like straddling a Buick compared to my R65. Very comfy though. Kinda sluggish on the tight curvy 2 lane blacktops. Scraped the sides more than once.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2009, 7:54 pm
Veteran

Traded my 08 Wing for an 09 K1300GT. I liked the Wing. It wasn't nearly as heavy handling as it looked. However, I was killing time down near Baltimore and decided to stop in to Bob's BMW (I hadn't been in there in over a decade). I took one look at the K1300GT and decided I had to have it.

For me, the Wing was extremely reliable, but I hated all those buttons that I didn't need, want or use. The lack of an electronic windshield was an annoyance. I liked the key fob lock/unlock for the bags.

The K1300GT is a whole lot more fun to ride. However, I am disappointed by the switch issue (that left me stranded 100 miles from home) and the stalling (which almost got me run over by a large truck).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 7:02 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFoster
The K1300GT is a whole lot more fun to ride. However, I am disappointed by the switch issue (that left me stranded 100 miles from home) and the stalling (which almost got me run over by a large truck).
BMW is replacing bad switches with switches from the same lot. my left switch was bad right out of the box and was replaced before i took delivery of the bike. the replacement switch lasted about 6000 miles before it went bad and needed to be replaced. my right side switch failed with less than 2000 miles on the clock but i was lucky because i was home in my drive way in it went. there's no warning when the right side fails, one minute your bike starts fine and the next minute nothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode