Deer scarer - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2009, 8:35 am Thread Starter
Noob

Deer scarer

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge aboout Deer Scaring devices that could be fitted to a bike?
Lets just say "I don't want that happening again.!!"

The bike used to be an RS

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08102009(001).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	11259  

Don't Panic.
THINK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2009, 10:42 am
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_monk
I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge aboout Deer Scaring devices that could be fitted to a bike?
Lets just say "I don't want that happening again.!!"

The bike used to be an RS

thanks
My opinion: it's snake oil marketing to take advantage of your fear. Even if they did work, they eventually would plug with bug guts, and I doubt you'd know.

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/deerw.html

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2009, 11:33 am Thread Starter
Noob

thanks

rhhall

Thanks for that link, it is the sort of definitive information I was looking for..

Case closed in my mind.

Don't Panic.
THINK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2009, 1:23 pm
Veteran

..Well...I haven't ever heard any interview from a deer that it stopped him or her from cossing the road......Think its just a fear based gizmo...think of it this way..If your riding buy a deer on the side of the road and hes got his head down munching on some acorns..Do you really want to disturb him?...I think its more apt to cause a sudden bolt across the road than stopping them...If any thing is going to stop a deer standing on the side of the road it would be your head lights
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2009, 9:03 am
Enthusiast

Well I don't know if my deer whistles scared deer or not (they never told me ) but I know they scared the hell out of many cows.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2009, 10:37 am
Veteran

Out here I live amongst the deers, I can see up to 200 in a 100 miles drive in the evening,a few years back I hit one with my full size Chevy van, many thousands $$$$ damage, hair all the way up to the tip of the antenna, it jumped out of the ditch, flew across my windshield, but luckily hit on the right side......otherwise I probably would not be here.After that I bought Deer Whistles.....waste of money unless you like to see them shake their ears as you pass by. Most of the deer here are Mule Deers, they have pretty big ears.......!
After that I bought an electronic Deer Scarer, similar to that one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DYV3N/...SIN=B0000DYV3N

It was advertised as effective against just about any animal in the world, Deer,Possums,Kangaroos, Cats, Dogs.......enough to fill Noah's Ark......! I Bench tested it first, waited for the deer to come for my compost and turned it on.......well,they did lift their heads and shook their ears, but quickly went back to eating my fruit peels.....!The thing also emitted a constant high pitched sound , and I did not want that coming out of my vehicle, so I returned it.
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=597368
Whatever you choose to do, do not honk at them , that will confuse them and they may turn around and hit you, it happened to me twice and I had the dents to prove it.....!
You can always spend your money on this:http://www.buckpeterson.com/original.html
My brother in law, who spends a lot of money every year deer hunting and never bags a deer found a doe with a broken leg in the ditch right by his place, got his gun, gave her the "Coup de Grace" and ate her.....best deer he ever had he said. Now for that Mexican guy in Baja California who slammed the brakes in front of me and sent his kid running back to a" Road Killed" Armadillo....but that is another story, and I can only presume the ending....!

Interesting one about scaring the cows however, there is open ranges out here and in the fall the cattle comes down the mountains and hangs out on the road......but like the deer, they easily get confused and unpredictable.On my last ride of the year the curves were full of shit, had to slow down a lot.In Thailand while riding an XL250 we were chased by a cow for quite a ways, I had to shout at my riding partner because he had not seen it and that thing was really coming for us..... I spent a lot of time in my youth on dairy farms and had never ever seen or heard of an agressive cow.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2009, 9:13 pm
Will ride for picts

ya gotta watch them cows, Boer goats and other critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by h96669

Interesting one about scaring the cows however, there is open ranges out here and in the fall the cattle comes down the mountains and hangs out on the road......but like the deer, they easily get confused and unpredictable.On my last ride of the year the curves were full of shit, had to slow down a lot.In Thailand while riding an XL250 we were chased by a cow for quite a ways, I had to shout at my riding partner because he had not seen it and that thing was really coming for us..... I spent a lot of time in my youth on dairy farms and had never ever seen or heard of an agressive cow.
Texas 2005:

Nevada 2007:

Utah 2008:

Nevada 2009

Utah 2008:

Wyoming 2009:

Colorado 2009:

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com

Last edited by rhhall; Nov 7th, 2009 at 9:18 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode