Your test ride require you to "Follow the dealer?" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2009, 7:04 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Your test ride require you to "Follow the dealer?"

Been out this week negotiating the deals on the S1000R from sundry northern California dealers. I really hate that game, but as one dealer said "Everything's negotiable" which was interesting.

Some dealers said they will require you to follow them on a test ride. Never experienced this before and wondering if anyone has? Others have some set route they want you to follow. Some require pre-approval from management too.

Prices do seem to run $800 from high to low quotes so far with much hovering around some "Dealer prep fee" which some don't do. Seems to be the larger dealers that apply this one.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2009, 10:39 pm
Rookie

the dealer in Barrington Illinois will not even let you take a test ride on a used bike no way no how not even with cash in hand.At least you get a test ride

Dave

86 k75c 150,000 + miles & sill strong
02 k1200rs 53,000 miles & fast
97 f650st 22,000 miles & thumpin
So many roads so little time
I need a vacation day !!!
( Week or a Month )
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 2009, 8:40 am
Addict-oholic

Both my dealers BMW Manhattan and Cliffs in Danbury Ct, not only permit trest rides, but encourage you to do so and even arrange if you want it for a weekend test > itook my current ride 1300GT for 3 hours. My previous 06 GT was a mere 2 hours. I would never buy a bike without a test ride, similar to testing out autos....

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 2009, 9:16 am
Veteran

Here in Southern California, BMW dealers are the only ones who consistently have allowed and encouraged test rides. BMW dealers have been most flexible, even to the point of setting up weekend test rides for some riders.

The local Triumph/Ducati/Victory dealer has a long history of supporting test rides. Since sales slowed in the last year, Harley dealers have joined the test ride bandwagon.

Motorcycle dealers who sell Japanese motorcycles have never allowed test rides, even on used bikes, even with long time customers (e.g., more than 20 years). They cite liability and insurance when asked.

Some of the dealers ask you to ride a prescribed route. The reason is so that they know where to start looking for you if you do not return in a timely manner.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 2009, 10:15 am

Test ride

Our Milwaukee BMW dealer encourages test rides. First time customers are grilled before the ride. Known customers get tossed the keys - amd are told to have fun. On limited production bikes - HP2 - etc. they are more persnickety.

K1300GT
R1200GSA
R90S
R80 G/S PD
R75/5
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2009, 11:09 am

The dealer here in Fort Worth required me to have motorcycle insurance. I don't have a bike now and my agent thought I was crazy asking for temporary insurance. He wanted VIN number and all that so no test ride.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2009, 9:42 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Some dealers said they will require you to follow them on a test ride. Never experienced this before and wondering if anyone has? Others have some set route they want you to follow. Some require pre-approval from management too.
That was my experience with my local BMW dealer (maybe I'm not a good enough customer - eg don't buy enough bikes). Couple of years ago did a test ride on a R1200GS - had to follow the sales rep, short ride, set route, never above 45 - total BS.

On the other hand, local Ducati dealer, and the local Victory dealer say, 'show me your insurance and license, and if you you want an interesting ride go here. Just try to be back in an hour'.

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2009, 5:34 pm
Looking for better limits...

Cal-Moto in Mountain View (Calif.) lets you go on your own for demo rides. But, I understand if you are test-riding the S1000RR, you get a tag-along with that model. Not that they have anything the sales person could ride that can keep up ...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2009, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
...............Some of the dealers ask you to ride a prescribed route. The reason is so that they know where to start looking for you if you do not return in a timely manner.
This makes sense. Back in the early '90s a customer at the Springs' only downtown MC dealer did a test ride and was killed about five blocks from their shop. Some yahoo ran a stop sign and nailed him. The dealer was a multi brand shop who has long since tightened up their test ride requirements.

Before the local HD conglomerate bought out the BMW-Duc dealer we could come in and take out just about any bike. I have no idea how the cruisers-R-us shop now.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2009, 8:10 am
2 heads are better than 1

It's an understandable practice that non-BMW dealers do when they offer a demo. They don't want every squid with the ink still wet on their MC endoresment taking it out for a ride and wadding the bike up in the process. My dealer is still figuring out how he's going to handle the test ride situation, although he said I can take it out anytime I want.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode