Gerbing's heated insoles. Anyone got 'em? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2010, 10:38 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Question Gerbing's heated insoles. Anyone got 'em?

Got back from a ride in the Sierra's and my damn feet are still "stinging" from the cold. It wasn't that cold (upper 40's) and I did see some snow, but it was the damp cloudy cold which I think transferred through the BMW boots which had Gore-Tex in them (per their label). I thought they may have some insulation but I guessed wrong.

I had some heated socks but the wires always seemed to bunch up in the wrong area so I didn't take them, but I had and needed their heated jacket under the BMW ComfortShell jacket.

Anyone try their new, or someone else's, heated insoles? I noticed the Gerbing's has a odd bump in the middle of them and if that would be bothersome.

Tia.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2010, 11:17 pm

There is a guy on the MTF that likes them, but I also saw one guy selling his as they did not work they way he wanted on a sport touring bike because the top of the feet are in the wind stream.

Steve
DFW
'07' GT Blue
'12' R1200GS Blue
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 5:14 am
Veteran

I don't have the insoles, but I do have Gerbing heated socks. My socks have the wires all around including the soles although you can get them without wires on the soles. My big feet freeze out there without heated socks. The socks work great. The wires are a bit annoying when walking, but cold feet are bad all the time.
I just ordered a new pair of heated socks from Warm n Safe. These wires are supposed to be thinner and much less noticeable. They are on back order so I should get them in about a week.
I've never had luck with extra insoles of any time. They tend to bunch up when putting on the boots or walking.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 8:55 am
Veteran

GMack
For a quick fix that I have used for a couple of years. Pick up some "Foot Warm Up" air-activated chemical foot warmers at Walmart or a sporting goods store. They are about a buck a pair and last about 6 hours. Just drop one packet in the bottom of each shoe before your ride. They don't do too much for the toes, but anything is better than nothing.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 8:07 pm

You sure there is not a better way? If I am setting in a hunting stand my feet can get cold but if I'm riding other stuff gets cold long before my feet. The heated grips and seat must be really good.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 4:14 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Got 'em and tried them out on a 100 miler this AM with their dual-adjustable controller.

They do get HOT! Weird part is the hot sensation is very similar to the stinging cold sensation. Seems to be a fine line on the controller setting where you hit too cold vs. too hot. Body can trick you.

The hump in the middle (where the cable goes into) isn't as noticeable after a while. Maybe just to assure that it presses into the bottom of the foot for heat? They routed the cable in a nice location towards the inside of the boot where the zipper's at on the BMW boots. Others I saw exit the back and may be felt at the heel. Dunno.

It is easier than putting on their socks though. Heated gear takes me a lot of time to climb into and hook up. There's some cushioning too. The boot is a bit more snug as well. Overall, I think the socks are warmer overall due lack of heat on the top of the foot with the insole, and that part is pressed tighter against the top of the cold damp boot. I've used some thinner socks inside of the heated socks as the wires bugged me. Supposedly, some thinner wire socks are available someplace but I'm wondering if they are too fragile to wash?

It did get confusing using them: "Are my feet too hot or too cold?" I eventually found a null spot about 1/8 way up on the controller at which point I forgot about them being there or my feets temp. condition.

Beats nothing I guess. The convenience is they are already in the boot and not something I need to put on. I did see those chemical heat packs now for boots (much larger in size) too. Maybe get some for emergencies, but my hand ones always expire before I use them.

Oh, used the second part of the controller on a Safe-n-Warm jacket. Reminded me of using heated clothing in the Can-Bus where it turned on and off and never got hot like the old direct wired RT socket. That jacket seemed lukewarm to me over the Gerbing's I have. I realized later it was their lower wattage (60 watt) model I had on. I had it cranked full-up and it felt just warm, but not hot. My Gerbing jacket is HOT! I forget the Warm-n-Safe liners (60 watter vs. their 90 watter model) were purchased for riding two-up and not to tax a rental bike's alternator like two 90 watt liners would.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode