BMW Motorrad on rider's age demographics. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:34 am Thread Starter
Veteran

BMW Motorrad on rider's age demographics.

Before my “Eatry run” into the Sierra Mountain’s yesterday, the arriving mailman on my driveway handed me my newest BMW ON magazine which I took with me.

While there awaiting my steak samich, I read the “Understanding the S1000RR” article and the BMW demographics. I found this statement by BMW V.P. Pieter de Waal interesting (pg. 47):

“We wanted to bring young people into the BMW Motorrad brand. The current age profile of our customer is worldwide 47, and in America about 50. Our customers age at approximately .7 years per year. That implies that our existing customers keep buying our motorcycles as they get older, but we do not bring many young people into the brand. It’s a major long-term concern.”

Guess those of us in America either cannot grow up, age younger that other countries (I vote that!), or are too old when we get back into the grove (Maybe that too?).

Then saunters in Mr. Pottbellies in his fashionable Daniese red-and-silver leather racing suit (with pucks!), not looking a day under 60 yrs old. Matched his red and silver Ducati in the parking lot too.

Mack (an old fart by BMW demographics looking to get a S1000RR too! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 6:08 pm

Heck, I was 20 when I got my first K. And I've had nothing but BMWs since. (36 now).

You old farts need to get your sons on BMWs!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 9:55 pm
Addict

Face the truth, BMW had never pushed the performance bike as others and they have had the K1200RS since what 1998 or 97.
When I got my 2002 K1200RS it was the fasted sport/touring bike in America. And not many knew it.
So BMW has only it’s self to blame. They did not want to market to the younger riders. Now they have different management and a new direction.

Look at Hardly Davidson; they had done a great marketing, job selling a dinosaur. When they went after the younger aged market with the Buell they did not do well because they wanted to use the 1950 HD motor. So now Buell is gone and HD has gone back to its old roots. I give HD five years and they will be history if they don’t build a 2010 style bike.

The only thing constant is change. Peterbilt has stop building the 379 model and now builds aero design trucks. Autocar, Diamond Reo, and Brockway are out of business. Mack truck is now Volvo. General Motors will be history in five years.
Change for the better or be gone.

BMW has changed to a new better bike and they will remain.

The Evil of Good is Better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2010, 5:03 pm
Riding in company

I like that thing about aging 0.7 years/year.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2010, 8:03 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I am sorry that I help push that age number up.
Really I am only 22!, its just that its the third time (aka 66).

The S1000RR got veto'd, something about all the bikes except for the Triumph are newer than her car.

So we bought her a new car.

I suppose I will still have to wait a bit before a S1000RR comes home, at least one excuse is gone

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Rookie

Economics

I am thinking the reason the age is higher in BMW demographics is cost.
Overall, until recently, the BMW brand was costlier to own than the popular
Japanese brands. Thus those of us geezers now had more readily available
disposable income for such toys.

It is now apparent with the introduction recently of the F800 series, and the very
competitively priced RR, that BMW realized the economics of todays world
had to be addressed.

I wonder if BMW will build a factory "trike" for us old farts to keep on riding, like
Harley Davidson has done for their loyal customers.

P.S. I have looked at hannigans.

08K1200GT Adventurin Silver, Full Load
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Is there anyone younger than me on the forum??? I'm 26 ( till the 31st )..... really its true.....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromy
Is there anyone younger than me on the forum??? I'm 26 ( till the 31st )..... really its true.....
Not in the forum, maybe, but I know I've sold a 07 K1200S to a 19yo. His dad test rode and bought it for him.

"Today's cars are the most complex, sophisticated machines ever to be places in the hands of inexpert operators.", Richard Parry-Jones on what's really holding back the automobile
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2010, 3:11 pm
Rookie

Well I guess I fit the demographic profile. I'm 46 and aging faster than the .7 per year so in a couple of years I will be the demographic. Seriously though. I think that BMW is moving in the right direction with the 1000RR and that Harley's decision to drop the Buell line and selling their foothold in Europe shows a lack of commitment on their part to attract a younger rider other than the V-rod which seems to get shunned by traditional Harley riders. Only time will tell. Sit back and watch the movie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode