Battery Tender for a Car Battery - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2005, 10:11 am Thread Starter

Battery Tender for a Car Battery

OK, this is only vaguely related to bikes. Will a Battery Tender charge a car battery?

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2005, 10:20 am

battery Tender

It will charge a car battery - if you have a lot of time. It will maintain it just fine.
H
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2005, 10:30 am
Throttle Jockey

No problem. Figure 24 hours or more to achieve full charge. Works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2005, 11:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencorsun
OK, this is only vaguely related to bikes. Will a Battery Tender charge a car battery?

Ken
Although it probably does as others have stated, it may also be relative to the continual draw that the car may have. I have used a tender on my Corvette and it won't keep it charged. I guess with the drain from the clock, etc there was more consumption than the charger could replace. Honestly, haven't tried it on anything else, though.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2005, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I left the door open on my car last night and the small door lights discharged the battery. I could call AAA, but I don't need the car today so I thought I'd try the Battery tender. I'll leave it on until tomorrow morning. I hope by then the battery is charged enough to start it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2005, 5:53 am
Addict

1/2 amp max from tender, some drain in car e.g clock. After 24 hours that's 12 amp hours into a totally flat battery at best, Starter cranking at 300 amps would run for 2.5 seconds!

Get the car battery indoors and warm. You'll probably get more from the retained battery charge when warm than the tender puts in.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2005, 8:38 am
Veteran

I didn't think a Battery Tender could charge a totally flat battery,motorcycle type or other type. I believe a battery had to have 8 volts residual power in it to be charged by a tender.
Bruce C
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2005, 9:51 am Thread Starter

Update

The battery was dead; it would not even light the dash lights nor turn over the engine (of the Toyota Camry). I left the Battery Tender on for about 22 hours. The car was in an unheated garage with the temperature about 40 degrees. The red light on the charger was still on in the morning as was the flashing green light indicating 80% charge. The car started immediately.

Bottom line: under the given circumstances a Battery Tender will charge a car battery sufficiently to start.

Ken
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2005, 12:43 pm

Ken,
I have 5 Battery Tenders. One keeps the dual Optima batteries topped off in my Dodge Diesel pickup truck. One for my Vette, One for my R100RS One for my R1100RT and one for my K1100LT.
They work great on all of them. Keeping all the batteries fully charged extends the life of the batteries tremendously.

Mick
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2005, 4:24 pm
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmick
Keeping all the batteries fully charged extends the life of the batteries tremendously.
I have the original battery in my Ducati, 7 1/2 years and still cranking. Keep it on a Battery Tender whenever it is parked. Don't forget to check the fluid level and keep it topped up, if you have a lead-acid battery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode