Bombardier Can Am Spyder (3 wheeler) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2010, 4:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Bombardier Can Am Spyder (3 wheeler)

I'm curious to know what other motorcyclists think of these 3 wheel vehicles?
It seems to me that they are inching precariously close to being like a convertable automobile. Has anyone on IBMW ridden one?
Without having ridden one I know that I would miss leaning over and transitioning curves immensely.
Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2010, 5:34 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I really like the looks of them... Not sure I would ever be interested in buying one. It would be fun to take a demo ride.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2010, 5:57 pm
Veteran

They look cool so I followed one last summer to get a closer look at the handling......but she was all over the road and we were not even going fast....so much so that I lost patience and passed her and hubby on the Goldwing in front....!

If you like leaning, you might want one of those instead.
:http://www.3wheelers.com/carver.html

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2010, 9:02 pm
Rookie

Thumbs up

More plastic than a LT or GT, but stable, well built, Canadian,
ass backwards trike. New for this year RT is quite the looker for 2 up,
and huge trailer, ready made and matched, but $5,000.00.
Followed a RS last year, owner was really having to work it in the corners
but seemed to zip along and had a big grin
Check out hannigans website from Kentucky, they do trikes and
BMW sidecars etc, they have a four wheel bike(Gold Wing)
looks like a cross between a quad and a bike...weird

08K1200GT Adventurin Silver, Full Load
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2010, 7:17 am
Addict

I test rode the new RT back in Nov. Totally different riding experience. No hand brake for the front - all 3 wheels are ABS/linked to the brake pedal under your right foot. Handling is weird. If you have a death grip on the bars it will wander, but relax your grip and it's fine. It does take more effort, a lot more effort, ride aggressively. I personally think it would make a great 2 up ride. My girlfriend really like it. It was easy for her to get on and off, the seat was comfortable, the floorboards are adjustable for her, and she can get on and off without me having to hold the bike. For me, no matter how much she wiggled around back there, I never felt it. Slow speed and stops were easy. Didn't have to worry about dropping it.

A friend of mine who went from an R1 to a 1098 to a B-King, traded the B-King off to get the RS. He really loves it and is really starting to ride aggressively with it. This guy is one of those track day guys and used to pull wheelies on the freeway in Dallas. And along with his Spyder he has a 250 Suzuki Motard. He knows how to ride, and ride hard. If he loves it, it must be fun.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2010, 8:21 pm
Rookie

CanAm Spyder test ride

My test ride left me with a huge smile on my face. However, I wouldn't purchase one for the following reasons.
Needs a larger motor & 6 forward gears.
Too buzzy. Hands were numb after a few minutes of riding.
Lack of cruise control, heated grips & seat. Yes, I'm spoiled by my BMW.
It took a lot of strength to muscle it around & generally control it. Your really have to pay attention to stay on top of things, even more so than a regular 2-wheeled MC.
Really poor gas mileage: 20-25 mpg reported by some owners.
Minor issues such as mirrors too small to be useful which made for unsafe ride; windshield too small to consider touring.

On the plus side:
Fun factor.
Seat was more comfortable than any BMW, Corbin or Bill Mayer seat I've owned.
Has a reverse gear, which is needed because you couldn't push this bike on your own.
Parking brake.
Not having to put your feet down to keep the bike up at a stop. Don't know what this means for having to put your feet down at stop signs to avoid getting a ticket.
Has some nice built-in storage.
Nice colors, more than most BMW's.

I thought about getting one for the wife because I hoped it would be easy for her to ride & control, but after riding it, decided that wasn't the case.

Tom
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2010, 9:41 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvida
My test ride left me with a huge smile on my face. However, I wouldn't purchase one for the following reasons.
Needs a larger motor & 6 forward gears.
Too buzzy. Hands were numb after a few minutes of riding.
Lack of cruise control, heated grips & seat. Yes, I'm spoiled by my BMW.
It took a lot of strength to muscle it around & generally control it. Your really have to pay attention to stay on top of things, even more so than a regular 2-wheeled MC.
Really poor gas mileage: 20-25 mpg reported by some owners.
Minor issues such as mirrors too small to be useful which made for unsafe ride; windshield too small to consider touring.

On the plus side:
Fun factor.
Seat was more comfortable than any BMW, Corbin or Bill Mayer seat I've owned.
Has a reverse gear, which is needed because you couldn't push this bike on your own.
Parking brake.
Not having to put your feet down to keep the bike up at a stop. Don't know what this means for having to put your feet down at stop signs to avoid getting a ticket.
Has some nice built-in storage.
Nice colors, more than most BMW's.

I thought about getting one for the wife because I hoped it would be easy for her to ride & control, but after riding it, decided that wasn't the case.

Tom
You would be correct on the RS not having a cruise, but the RT has cruise, electric windshield, heated grips, as well as reverse and iPod interface. Reports I see are saying the RT is getting anywhere from 25 - 30 mpg.

I agree with needing a 6th gear, but from what I read, the 6th gear was used for the reverse. Yes, this is a true reverse - you can burn rubber backing up!

And I agree with the buzz. It definitely does buzz.

In 5th at 70mph, there is absolutely no punch. A lot worse than the LT. On a 2 lane road you'd have to downshift in order to pass safely.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2010, 12:18 pm
Noob

I was about 4 yrs old when I learned how to ride a bike, and haven't been on a tricycle since, and don't plan on getting back on one, until the aging process forces me to, but I doubt if it will be a backwards tricycle, but possibly a side car?
I've heard that they are fun, but require work. I saw a bunch of them at a dealer yesterday, and they seem pretty low, and would probably have a hard time seeing over the roof of a car?

78 Kaw Z1R 1000, 84 Yam 650 Turbo, 01 Suz GSXR 1000, 03GSXR 1000, 04 Yam R 1
Now Riding: 2009 K1300S Gray
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2010, 2:28 pm
Veteran

[QUOTE=mccmann, and would probably have a hard time seeing over the roof of a car?[/QUOTE]

Huh, when I'm not on the bike I drive a Mazda Miata. You're only 1/2 way up a semi's tire in one of those and driving it is fine.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 5:08 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Huh, when I'm not on the bike I drive a Mazda Miata. You're only 1/2 way up a semi's tire in one of those and driving it is fine.
So your point is? Is it that you can see under it? I don't know of any regular car or truck that can see over a semi, so I guess you could see under a semi with a can am.
My point is that when on my motorcycle, I can see over most cars.

78 Kaw Z1R 1000, 84 Yam 650 Turbo, 01 Suz GSXR 1000, 03GSXR 1000, 04 Yam R 1
Now Riding: 2009 K1300S Gray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode