Motorcycle Air Conditioner and Heater? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 9:03 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Motorcycle Air Conditioner and Heater?

Just spotted this.

No price shown yet other than a 20% discount on the first 500 presales (which makes me suspicious).

It seems it's based on those thermoelectric coolers as used in the portable car refrigerator 6-pack units. They can suck quite a bit of amps though and I don't know how effective they would be at losing all the cool air through a hose and into a vest? Venting a hose through one of those car cooler ones doesn't seem like it would last that long (like leaving the lid open on it). Might work better at heating though (reverse polarity and those thermocoolers switch cold and hot sides so the beer cooler now becomes a warming oven).

I know there is the lower-tech HogCooler which is basically an ice bath and water, pump, and hoses into their vest. Their videos on Youtube are...um...interesting.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2010, 9:58 am

Geezers might remember an AGV helmet from maybe 25 years ago that was supposed to cool and heat. I had one and it really didn't work worth a damn, plus it was heavy, they wanted you to store it in the refrigerator for cooling, etc. Maybe the technology has advanced in the intervening years. I'd have to know the amp draw and the temp drop over ambient to see if it is worthwhile.

Frank

'17 R1200RS, 2 yrs. 27,000 mi.
'16 R1200RS, 18 mo. 28,000 mi. (gone)
'03 R1100S Boxer Cup Replika 6/200
'85 K100/1100RS, 34 yrs. 326,000 mi.
'05 R1200ST, 8 yrs. 57,400 mi.-3rd deer killed it.
'11 R1200RT, 2 yrs. 30,000 mi. (gone)
'99 R1100S, 2 yrs. 15,000 mi. (gone)
'96 Ducati 900SS/SP, 12 yrs. (gone)
500,000+ BMW miles
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2010, 2:58 pm
Veteran

Aw....some! She has ridden....!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUZtMk3sGwA

But this....looks like the rider is plugged into some kind of weird medical apparatus....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUZtMk3sGwA

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2010, 3:57 pm
Addict

I think you are starting at the wrong end with this gadget. The motorcycle jacket first needs to be designed with the insulation they put in shuttle suits so you get no solar gain. Most jackets are designed to breath and being black, aren't the best color unless there's something like a reflective film under the first layer.

Once you can get the jacket solar gain down and the insulation improved you can start looking at cooling because then you are only cooling the body, not the Sun!

These units will probably use Peltier modules. Pretty nifty, but do need some amps and a good airflow to take the heat away. To get an idea if they are any good you need to take a spot air temperature for hot Summer and get them to tell you what temperature drop they expect to get at what current. As well as designing a jacket to insulate, you would have to find a way of circulating the chilled air evenly inside it. I can't see that happening with standard rider jacket and pipe stuffed into it.

This products reminds me of a spin dryer sold years ago with an innovative 1 Kw heater in the lid. I was sceptical so tested one by comparing clothes with heater connected and without. Results were the same because any heat in the air just vortexed down the center.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode