Test riding the S1000RR and punking the dealer. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2010, 9:32 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Talking Test riding the S1000RR and punking the dealer.

Went to the dealer (Ozzie's BMW in Chico, CA) to test ride the new BMW S1000RR which is about 400 miles from my home. Owner and his wife were in San Fransisco and were to drive back to Chico with their demo bike's keys. They had to attend the dealer's sales meeting in Florida to get the keys to their demo.

Turns out that Saturday was also "Payday so they better get here!" according to their parts, sales, secretary Lily. She said to come back around 3 PM. So I got lost for about 5 hours in Chico at other dealerships and Harbor Freight.

I also had in my gearbag some of those Aerostitch phony traffic tickets. While waiting, I got all the vehicle code violations for speeding, racing contests, etc. off the CA DMV website and made a really nasty 170+ MPH Radar ticket up to punk the dealer with after my demo ride. Idle hands and Devil's workshop sort of stuff.

Back to Ozzie's at 3 PM. Bike was getting prepped, gas, oil, battery. I would be the first demo pilot. Cool.

Lily had me suit up: gloves, pants, jacket, etc. Shot copy of driver's license. New twist, their lead mechanic would follow me on a CHP patrol bike up Cohasset Road north out of Chico (Nice test road, btw). Interesting.

Ran it up to about 60 MPH going up into the twisties with the CHP patrol bike in tow. Phenomenal brakes. Very little engine vibration through seat or metal pegs (no rubber as on the GT). Actually, there seems to be less vibration than the GT with the exception of maybe some through the handlebars.

This is the cool part. The tranny has a Quick-Shifter. No clutch action needed other than stopping. It just nicks into gear without the typical BMW Ka-Klunk noise of all their other bikes. You don't even notice it has changed gears! Same on going downward through the gears. Pretty amazing for BMW.

I didn't detect any fuel mapping issues either. No surging or flat spots that I found. BMW finally got that right for once.

I couldn't see directly behind me in the mirrors. The CHP bike was there someplace. Mike, their mechanic was riding it, said I would hear the siren before I'd see their lights. Pretty cool idea of the dealer to have a CHP patrol bike following since people probably thought I was going to be toast doing xxxx MPH in a 55 MPH zone.

The S1000RR suspension is tight on the bumpy parts of Chohasset Road near the top. The road narrows down as it approaches the general store in Cohasset where we turn aorund and head back. People at the store probably thought the CHP had chased me all the way up there as it seemed to cause a commotion by people getting gas there. It's about 12 miles from dealership to the store one-way. Anyway, there is a bunch of adjustments on the upper and lower forks that need to be played with for street-verses-track.

Mike told me to "Bust it open near the airport" and I did. It just walked away from the patrol bike. He said "There is no way the patrol bike could catch the S1000RR as it just disappeared."

So BMW finally gets it right on a new introduction. Maybe them racing it for a year got them to address so many initial new-bike problems helped.

Oh, the phony ticket...

Decided to punk Ozzie's salesgirl,secretary, service writer, parts person, etc. Lily since I couldn't do it with the mechanic as he was following. I asked her, "Did you hear what happened on the demo run?"

She replied, "No, what?"

I told her "I had lost Mike and somehow found a real cop and he gave me this." I pulled out the phony 170+ MPH ticket ticket and handed it over it to her.

Her and a customer read it over and over. After a few minutes, she said, "Uh, oh! We're going to be in BIG TROUBLE with BMW for allowing 170 MPH demo rides." She ran off to make a copy and I laughed and told the customer it was a phony while she was showing it to the owner's wife too. She got a bit red since she fell for it. Punked the dealer!

Oh, I did buy an Acid Green one too. Damn test rides! Probably get it in May for my annual vacation playtime in Northern CA. Should be fun.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2010, 10:03 am
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Oh, I did buy an Acid Green one too. Damn test rides! Probably get it in May for my annual vacation playtime in Northern CA. Should be fun.

Mack

Good thing you did, punking the owners wife. So how much WAS that dealer's prep fee???

But, seriously, CONGRATULATIONS on the new ride!!!

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2010, 10:59 am
Addict

Didn't use clutch on down shifting either?? Quick Shift is for up shifting-does it also have a slipper clutch for down shifting?????? Cool!

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2010, 2:15 pm
Looking for better limits...

Which CVC did you go for, 22348(b) or 22349?
22348(b) would have allowed you to embellish how you convinced the officer not to impound the bike ...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2010, 10:46 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Which CVC did you go for, 22348(b) or 22349?
22348(b) would have allowed you to embellish how you convinced the officer not to impound the bike ...
Good to know. I used the second 22349 one (exceeding the Posted Speed Limit of 55 MPH?).

I tried to find the "Exhibition of Speed" one without much luck, so I just settled on 23109a too. May as well throw the book at myself.

Generally, the public doesn't know the exact numbers unless they've been tagged lately. Sure got the sales girl hook, line, and sinker. (Sorry Lily! ).

Sort of fun writing your own ticket. Wrote my older brother up for doing 115 MPH in his Kia. His kids and grand kids think Grandpa and Grandma are crazy old nuts now!

Here's the link to buy your own ticket book: Aerostitch phony ticket book. Trust me, buy two or three as everyone will want one to embellish their weekend's fish story.

Mack
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2010, 12:10 pm
Addict

Nice story ... congrats on the new bike.

James

06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

02 WR250F Stock

99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2010, 6:54 pm
Looking for better limits...

All of the California DMV codes are listed at:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

It's pretty much in sections, so Rules of the Road would be the place to start. Speeding violations are at:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd11c7a1.htm

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2010, 8:59 pm

Congrats for your new ride.. Hope you enjoy it a lot!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode