Trivia question: Smallest BMW dealer in U.S.? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2010, 7:39 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Question Trivia question: Smallest BMW dealer in U.S.?

Someone told me there was a small dealer operating out of a barn in the South, or was it Alaska?

I think West Valley Cycles in Winnetka, California (LA suburb) may be the smallest out West with maybe 5-6 bikes in the showroom. Free food every time I've been there. Seems everyone who works there is in the same family. Laurie (aka Mom) sends me parts with the comment, "Send me a check when you get them."

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2010, 10:49 am
Veteran

I'm pretty sure that would be the one in Anchorage Alaska, a couple sheds on a back road and bikes covered with tarps outside The showroom/parts dept. looked like the guy's kitchen/living room. It has been many years since I was there, but I just read something on ADVRider on that,and it doesn't look like it has changed much.

Apparently he knows his stuff pretty good and I have nothing against someone working out of a shed/barn, they tend to be much more resourceful than the big shops.....!

That pic you posted looks very modern compared to what I remember from Alaska.....Jeez, I might have to go back up there this summer to check it out, unless I go to Newfoundland & Labrador......!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Rookie

Vermont?

There's a not too big dealer in Essex VT. I've bought gear there but never a bike. They are nice people. A long time family outfit.

2009 K13S
2000 YZF R1 track bike

Life is all about attitude!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2010, 3:32 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by h96669
I'm pretty sure that would be the one in Anchorage Alaska, a couple sheds on a back road and bikes covered with tarps outside The showroom/parts dept. looked like the guy's kitchen/living room. It has been many years since I was there, but I just read something on ADVRider on that,and it doesn't look like it has changed much.

Apparently he knows his stuff pretty good and I have nothing against someone working out of a shed/barn, they tend to be much more resourceful than the big shops.....!

That pic you posted looks very modern compared to what I remember from Alaska.....Jeez, I might have to go back up there this summer to check it out, unless I go to Newfoundland & Labrador......!
Just looked on the ADV site and it appears that Trail's End sold out or moved and is now part of a Harley dealership in Fairbanks. Looks like the name is (link) Harley-Davidson Farthest North Outpost. I see on the BMW Dealership's webpage it shows as Trails' End still, but the address and phone number is now for the Harley dealership (now: 1450 Karen Way, Fairbanks, AK 99709. Phone: 907-456-3265). Nothing on their webpage about BMW yet.

I also did some Google Earth thing and if you look at the intersection of Airport and Karen or whatever, if you go to the Streetview of their sign on Airport (viewing from the sunny direction, not the rainy direction), it appears to have a BMW canvas banner at the bottom of their sign like it is a new BMW dealership. It looks pretty big now and it may also have been a Polaris and/or a Honda dealership in the past. Personally, I don't know of many Harley owners that would subject their Harley to that weather nor road condition riding up there.

Here's Trail's End as it appeared formerly:

...and George, the owner and wrench then, maybe 1-2 years ago?

Mack
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2010, 9:28 pm
Veteran

That's the place....Fairbanks not Anchorage,getting old but that was back in 91. Time to go back....!

Fairbanks has the most northerly Biker's bar in North America, I was in there and looking at the pics on the wall, quite a few Harleys make their way up there and certainly need a place to buy parts and T-Shirts.....! Plus all the roughnecks out of Prudoe Bay, they probably like to blow their money on Harley stuff, maybe BMW too.

But the biker's bar was quite interesting....I won't get into the details here.....!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode