Karma sure can get weird sometimes.. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2010, 9:53 am Thread Starter
Addict

Karma sure can get weird sometimes..

Coming back to socal from phoenix late monday night, down rt 60 (thru wickenburg), I'm in the jeep (still can't ride the bike yet from injuries) with the wife and I get pulled over!

I saw the LEO sitting on the other side of the road but didn't think much of it doing 71 in a 65.

A young guy, he was honest, first thing he said is "I pulled you over for two reasons, one is you are the only one out here (no traffic in the dark on rt 60 that night) and you were doing 71 in a 65.

So I got a written warning for 6 over!!!

Thats a first in my life. No whining, I've been let go for speed that would land me in jail before...I'll take this Karma anytime!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2010, 1:03 pm
Veteran

You got off lucky considering you are in the big speed-camera state. I don't know why Danica Patrick still lives in AZ with her Racing License and made news with her 10-15 MPH over ticket incidents.

Now in Chico, CA 3 MPH over the PSL of 65 mph on Hwy. 99 is $300. Rolling-stop ($370 posted on their stop signs) is $900 if you fight it in court. I need to find that mandatory "Put your foot down" law in CA some cops spew for a complete stop on a motorcycle. The city moto-cops in Northridge and Pasadena, CA were going nuts with radar for people over the 25 MPH in neighborhoods last weekend. State needs money badly and I guess this keeps the court system running.

Oh, now in Tracy, CA call 911 for an emergency and you get a bill for $300 too. City council passed it and it hit TV today. You can buy a 911 "Call Subscription" for $500 and it drops the 911 call to $48 from $300.

Amazing. ('nuff soapboxing this a.m.).

Mack
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2010, 1:43 pm
Rookie

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack

Now in Chico, CA 3 MPH over the PSL of 65 mph on Hwy. 99 is $300. The city moto-cops in Northridge and Pasadena, CA were going nuts with radar for people over the 25 MPH in neighborhoods last weekend. State needs money badly and I guess this keeps the court system running.

Oh, now in Tracy, CA call 911 for an emergency and you get a bill for $300 too. City council passed it and it hit TV today. You can buy a 911 "Call Subscription" for $500 and it drops the 911 call to $48 from $300.
3 mph over on a highway is a ridiculous ticket....quota? tax grab? communism?
Now speeding in residential neighborhoods...that is where enforcement should happen,
lots of unforseen situations in residential, but 3 over on a highway

$300.00 for a 911 call? WTF....must be alot of bogus calls to warrant that.

08K1200GT Adventurin Silver, Full Load

Last edited by Razel; Feb 18th, 2010 at 1:46 pm. Reason: Fixed tags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2010, 2:55 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster
3 mph over on a highway is a ridiculous ticket....quota? tax grab? communism?
Now speeding in residential neighborhoods...that is where enforcement should happen,
lots of unforseen situations in residential, but 3 over on a highway

$300.00 for a 911 call? WTF....must be alot of bogus calls to warrant that.
Link to Tracy's new 911 call fees: CBS News on Emergency 911 fees We were wondering "If we see an accident, should we call?" I suspect a lot of people won't now for fear of getting a bill. City councilman says they are $5 million in the hole and need the money. Just swell.

Oh, gal I know who works in a business along Hwy. 99 had a cop come in and she asked him about all the pulling-over activity out front. He told her, "You go over 1 MPH and you broke the law. Don't like it? Don't speed." We now have some unmarked CHP in Tahoes and Suburbans patrolling too. You don't recognize them at all as the lights are hidden by dark tinted windows when you come up on them from behind one on a stop. Pretty remarkable.

At least the governor was being honest about him wanting speed cams along I-5 by saying "They were for revenue" last month ( here ). He should have stayed with the safety thing as I believe that idea got struck down in the legislature.

Heh, but there's a bright side. Get a ticket? Just change your ID like in this photo in downtown LA or Santa Monica. Only $4.25 and ready in 15 minutes and you are a new man - or woman!

Mack
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2010, 3:35 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Like I told the LEO, I have no real idea if the speedo is correct (jeep with wrangler tires). Hell, I can hardly drive a cage anymore, first one I've owned in 4 years.

Most speedo's are not that accurate? I mean, start splittin hairs like that and we need to start demanding laws that require 100% accurate speedo's. That is exactly what I would take to court. They are essentially reducing the speed limit if you can't go the speed limit with confidence in your speedo.

What I think should happen is one day each week, everyone should drive everywhere, freeway, et el, at a set speed limit, say, 40 MPH.

I wanted to get folks to do this on the AZ beltways when they installed the cams. this year, the cams might go away. most people don't pay the tickets and this social backlash has tied up the courts big time.

why doesn't the state just quit spending money they don't friggin have?

I've never seen shit like this until I moved from MI out here, and here I believed I was moving to the wild west...rrriiiggghhhttt...almost worse than the east coast, sometimes it appears to be a police state.

I don't disagree with the residential area speeding issues, especially here in CA, never seen anything like it, some folks are nutz.

Oh by the way, I have that 911 call right here in my holster, I ain't callin' anybody.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2010, 10:35 am
Addict

How do you know for sure you were that much over on the limit by a few mph?

GPS is pretty accurate and if that's what you used then that's just an unlucky pull over.

Most speedos can be 10% out and are usually optimistic. When I'm driving the freeway I find most drivers are using their speedos and can be 5mph low compared to GPS. If I put my foot down and use GPS for the limit, then I feel I'm speeding (when I'm not).

So I think often the officers are sitting there watching the speeds at say 5mph regularly below limit, then along comes somebody whose 2 or 3 mph over in real terms and they stop them.

Over here, a difference of 3 mph would be questionable. Their kit isn't foolproof and has to be regularly calibrated. If a speed is challenged they have to produce a copy of the calibration on request. Radar is notorious for errors caused by reflections. These are good reasons for challenging a ticket but perhaps you have different rules.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode