Battery Warranty Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 8:03 am Thread Starter

Battery Warranty Question

Is Battery covereed under Motorcycle warranty (3yr/ 36000miles)?

Is it on pro-rated basis or 100%?

My motorcycle battery is not holding charge.

Guls
2007 K1200R Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 8:24 am
Veteran

I have read on these forums that the battery is covered for two years, but don't have any facts to back it up.

I recently replaced the battery on my 2007 K1200GT with an Odyssey PC680MJ and never looked back. The old battery was working fine, but there had been one or two times when it gave one slow crank before starting. An Odyssey battery should last many years longer than the BMW factory battery.

A few years ago, I vowed to replace batteries preemptively - it just isn't worth the hassle to get stranded somewhere due to a bad battery.

I assume that the same Odyssey battery will fit in your K1200R, but you should verify it first. If the battery clamp is the same as my KGT, then you will need to make a small shim to hold the battery in place. I made mine by cutting two small strips of wood paneling that was handy.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 10:39 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I recently replaced the battery on my 2007 K1200GT with an Odyssey PC680MJ and never looked back.
David,

Did you buy your Odyssey online and if so, may I ask at what price? With the likelihood of travel coming up in the next few months I'd like to be proactive and replace the crappy OEM battery on my 2008 GT. Only place I've looked thus far is The Beemer Shop who wants $128 plus shipping for the plain PC680.

Appreciate any help you or others can provide.

Regards,

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 11:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
David,

Did you buy your Odyssey online and if so, may I ask at what price? With the likelihood of travel coming up in the next few months I'd like to be proactive and replace the crappy OEM battery on my 2008 GT. Only place I've looked thus far is The Beemer Shop who wants $128 plus shipping for the plain PC680.

Appreciate any help you or others can provide.

Regards,

David
I have been looking around as well. I found http://www.batteryprice.com/bmwmotorcyclebatteries.aspx and if you use discount code ABS15 you get a 15% discount. Makes it just under $115. They do not carry the MJ version, but there as been discussion on several forums about the necessity of the metal jacket or not. I am not sure I see the need (and thought I read the MJ would not fit, clearly based on the comment from the OP, that was wrong).

Hope that helps.

- CRASH -
IBA# 21680
"Motorcycles and beer, that is how I know there is a God and that he loves us."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 11:13 am
Veteran

Dont think you can beat this price http://www.batterystuff.com/batteryS...007&m=1#result
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 11:41 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
Pretty good price at Battery Stuff for sure including shipping. Thanks very much for the link.

As I've been researching this since I posted my reply above, I see that most of the batteries shown do not come with terminals attached. See the pic I've included.

Do I need to also order the terminals or posts?

Thanks,

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC680MJ.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	11651  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Confirmed with the dealer, warranty is 2yrs, complete battery coverage. Taking it in this Saturday.

Guls
2007 K1200R Sport
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 11:05 pm
Veteran

Quote:
I bought the Odyssey PC680MJ last June at PowerStride in Ventura. I paid $110 plus CA sales tax. I called first to verify it was in stock and they would sell it to me at that price. I paid with a credit card over the phone. I rode there on my way home from a visit to Bill Mayer Saddles in Ojai. I put the battery in my top case. When I got home, I put it on the shelf. They claim a long shelf life. I installed it last September. Installation was trivial and there were no issues or problems. I do not know whether they are still selling them at the same price. (Thanks to Ken Meese who shared the info after buying one a few days before me.)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 11:14 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Pretty good price at Battery Stuff for sure including shipping. Thanks very much for the link.

As I've been researching this since I posted my reply above, I see that most of the batteries shown do not come with terminals attached. See the pic I've included.

Do I need to also order the terminals or posts?...
No. You can leave the BMW terminals on the BMW battery and connect your wires directly to the battery using the BMW screws or the supplied Odyssey screws. That's what I did, but the combination of the motorcycle primary wires and farkle wires is messy.

Some people have small terminal brackets, so they can separate their must-connect-to-battery farkles from the primary connection for the motorcycle. Sounds like a good idea to me. Anyone have suggestions on the best terminals to separate the primary wires from accessories that must have a direct battery attachment?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2010, 9:09 am
Addict-oholic

I use a Centech and that has freed up room at the battery terminals. Plus, each farkle has a dedicated fuse rather than the mess of farkle wires with their inline fuses. It is all in one place and under the seat for easy accesibility.
Farkles:
extra accessory outlet for heated clothing
motolights
Stebel Horn
BMW patrol llight ( flashing led brake lights)
GPS

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode