Europe purchase, Wilbers shock or Helmet - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2010, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

Europe purchase, Wilbers shock or Helmet

Hi guys, looks like I am probably going to Germany and/or France soon for a trip. Has anyone bought any bike products over there and can provide some insight?
I'd like a Wilbers shock for my K12 but the $1200+ price here is a bit too much to stomach. The German website lists them for roughly $500-750. I'm thinking of ordering one and bringing it back. Has anyone done this? I don't need a shock yet but the price makes it very appealing.
I do need a new lid though for the new season. My full face HJC is history. I'd like to pick up a Schuberth or Roof Boxer. I don't care about the lack of DOT. In 30 years of riding no cop as ever looked at my lid for compliance.
Any ideas or comments welcome. Are there other items I should consider?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 8:39 am
Addict

Are you sure that isn't the cost in Euros? I'll bet it is.

Check out Kyle Racing, they might give you a discount or have a better price, but I doubt you'll find Ohlins (pair) for less than about 13-1500 bucks, when set up for your wt, etc, if that is important to you.

Also, you might get nailed at customs also, they never seem to miss much when I'm coming back from GE, mostly on the US side.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 8:45 am
JCW
contributor

I think duties are only about 2% though if you have it shipped home.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:09 am
Enthusiast

Buy both,although i have to say having recently fitted a Wilbers on my K1200r Sport,in the basic spec that they come in(combined compression and rebound) not as good as Ohlins i have on other bikes,but they do come sprung and setup to your individual spec.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 2:49 pm
Veteran

I think if I were going to buy the shocks in Europe.. I'd order in advance so they'd have them ready for pick-up when you get there. Remember.. they don't just pull them off the shelf.. They should be assembled specifically for your weight (solo or two up) and your riding style. That can take a few days.

Lastly.. you commented.. "I don't need a shock yet..".. My advice.. buy shocks ONLY in pairs unless you've simply got a busted one and need to replace quickly..

BTW.. I won't get into a debate over which is better.. Ohlins or Wibers.. I don't think 99% of the population could tell the difference in a blind taste test. I can say that the Wilbers offers more adjustments, not that most would ever use them... My 2 doubloons.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 5:20 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
I think if I were going to buy the shocks in Europe.. I'd order in advance so they'd have them ready for pick-up when you get there. Remember.. they don't just pull them off the shelf.. They should be assembled specifically for your weight (solo or two up) and your riding style. That can take a few days.

Lastly.. you commented.. "I don't need a shock yet..".. My advice.. buy shocks ONLY in pairs unless you've simply got a busted one and need to replace quickly..

BTW.. I won't get into a debate over which is better.. Ohlins or Wibers.. I don't think 99% of the population could tell the difference in a blind taste test. I can say that the Wilbers offers more adjustments, not that most would ever use them... My 2 doubloons.
Well yea i'd agree with you that your average biker doesn't know a shock spring from a bed spring,but i'm more than happy to argue the difference between Wilbers and Ohlins,Ohlins come stock separate compression and rebound and reservoir,the Wilbers do not it's an extra, and to compound that you have to have another remote and find somewhere to mount it,of recent i've done a few mile on my K with Wilbers on,the compression is fine the rebound isn't, but their combined so i'm stuffed,unless i want to pay extra to have another remote fitted.

Ohlins come fully ajustable and in a top spec,Wilbers only come that way if you ask and specify,which means were back to bed spring and shock spring with most!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 6:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the good info guys.
I was thinking of just getting the rear for now to see what it really makes a difference. Then get the front if I think it's worth it. The German website lists various shocks for the K12 ranging at 339, 549 and 758 in Euro. The middle quality shock would be about $750 US.
I'll give it some thought. I'll probably end up buying a new lid since that's what I really need. The Schuberth full face and Roof Boxer are my leading candidates.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 8:21 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugWest
Thanks for the good info guys.
I was thinking of just getting the rear for now to see what it really makes a difference. Then get the front if I think it's worth it. The German website lists various shocks for the K12 ranging at 339, 549 and 758 in Euro. The middle quality shock would be about $750 US.
I'll give it some thought. I'll probably end up buying a new lid since that's what I really need. The Schuberth full face and Roof Boxer are my leading candidates.
I have purchasaed several BMW items ( a system 4 helmet and more) in France and have had nary a problem getting it home. In order to get replacement shileds, I have to make more trips to Paris. Bummer !!!!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

Larry, I might be going to Paris. Can you recommend a dealer(s) that stocks lids? I'd like to try on the Schuberth and Roof before plunking down the bucks.
Thanks, Markus
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2010, 1:20 am
Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugWest
........ I don't care about the lack of DOT. In 30 years of riding no cop as ever looked at my lid for compliance.
Thanks
Interesting, but in this state (NC) troopers/local gendarmes frequently set up traps for motorcyclists: first, to check you have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license, and second, that your helmet is DOT-approved. Some troopers who pull you for possible ticketing will make you show them your helmet meets DOT.

Since I live in area that is popular weekend vacation destination (the shore, historic Beaufort, & sundry outdoor entertainment), they'll pull over every single biker coming down road as they near the city limits.

Enjoy your freedom while available, until "big brother" intrudes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode