Top Boxes for a Laptop - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Top Boxes for a Laptop

My 2008 GT came with the 29L BMW top box when I bought it. It's pretty handy, but I'm looking for a top box with a large enough interior space to fit my MacBook Pro in the Tom Bihn sleeve I use. It needs to have interior dimensions greater than 15"x12" and be generally weatherproof.

The BMW large top box is insanely expensive and, unless I find one used and cheap, isn't in the running.

Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 7:24 pm

300 bones for a 'netbook' that fits the small box. 'I' phones are almost free and they fit in a pocket!

just a suggestion cause I went through the same thing....

Good Luck!

kbikeinbc
07 crystal grey met
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 7:31 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcrook
My 2008 GT came with the 29L BMW top box when I bought it. It's pretty handy, but I'm looking for a top box with a large enough interior space to fit my MacBook Pro in the Tom Bihn sleeve I use. It needs to have interior dimensions greater than 15"x12" and be generally weatherproof.

The BMW large top box is insanely expensive and, unless I find one used and cheap, isn't in the running.

Thanks for your time.
I'm not sure if this is in the running, but maybe...

http://pirateslair.net/Kriega.htm

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

I use a netbook on short trips where I'm not doing hardcore work, and it fits just about anywhere. But if I'm gone for a week or more, I have to keep working and the netbook doesn't cut it for software development work. The backpack is an option for short commutes, but I need on-bike storage for long days and I'm already wearing a Camelback.

I'm in a weird position where I can be or go anywhere as long as I have my Mac and a net connection. I'd like to take advantage of it.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 9:17 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
How about something like these. Ebay is your friend for several alternatives that meet your size requirements. Several are quick detach

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-G...item19baf81820

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...t=10063&bkBtn=

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

I'll check that out. I looked at the Givi website but they didn't list any bits for the 2008 GT. How do I know what will fit?

Tomorrow I'm going to put in a call to SJ BMW. They're pretty handy for stuff like this and they're right around the corner.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 3:46 pm
2 heads are better than 1

I've used Givi 46 and 53L top boxes and they will fit most laptops.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:47 pm
Addict

Just think carefully if it's an expensive laptop 'cos the G forces on the tail are huge. If I was doing a regular commute I'd look at a top case where I could add in some bungy supports so the laptop is held suspended on rubber.

The reason I know it's huge is I carried a small tin of paint once with a press on lid which popped (ugh messy) and -:

I carried some PC mobo's in my Givi case once. They were working when I put them in but sprang up with faults after a 50 mile ride in the top box.

When I had to take my laptop to work on the bike I used a laptop carry case that could either be configured like a rucksack with two shoulder straps, or one strap slung over the shoulder. Carried on the body there are less vibs and G forces to worry about. I'd do the same if I had to carry one of those expensive Canon dslrs.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 9:23 pm
Veteran

FWIW I too carried around both a 15 and a 17" laptop for many many miles in my 49 liter top case. Both are still running fine. However since I bought a Droid I have pretty much eliminated the need to have one. There are still things I need the laptop for, but not too many that I can't go with out for several days or couple of weeks. You use may vary though. And even though the laptop no longer goes with me I still seem to find ways to fill up all that 49 liters with some thing!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 1:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I've got a Droid as well and while it's a great supplement to a laptop, I can't write code on it.

I'm guessing it was the vibration that caused problems with the motherboards. The laptop sleeve I have handles most of those problems. I wouldn't put a bare lappy in the top box though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode