Long Term Storage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 5:18 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Long Term Storage

I come from an area that I do not winterize my bikes. I am lucky enough to ride them. I have two of my own and my son has one. An 03 1200XLC Harley. My situation is this. He just graduated from Cal Maritime Academy and is leaving for the east coast on Saturday April 3. His bike will be stored for about 9 months before he will make it home. I have read about disconnecting the battery or leaving it on a good float charger. I have read about removing all the fuel and running the float bowl dry. What about Fogging? I have read some but never did it. Any help on long term storage would be appreciated.

McWideglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2010, 8:06 am

Since Harley stopped using cast iron cylinders a long time ago, fogging oil isn't necessary.

Change the oil and filter, then ride it a dozen miles or so to get the fresh oil well circulated everywhere. Take some Stabil with you and fill the gas tank on the way back from the ride, adding the Stabil to it. Park the bike until it cools, then put in new spark plugs, drain the carb bowl and plastic bag the tailpipes and air cleaner to keep moisture out of the open cylinder. Put the frame on blocks to take all the weight off the tires.

All my Harleys needed a new battery every year, so unless they've changed drastically since the 80's, plan on installing a new battery when it's time to get it out of storage.

Store it inside and throw a bedsheet over it to keep the dust off, without trapping moisture.

regards,
Joe
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2010, 3:23 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, the fogging issue is not solved. Our option was to sell . I like storage.

McWideglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 1:12 pm

newbie here, first post so my post might not mean much.

I don't think 9 months is long enough to be worried about fogging if it will be stored in a garage where you don't need to normally winterize, that implies a moderate climate.

I have fogged boat motors when I knew they would sit at the harbor for a year unused and I have friends who fog their motors on the East Coast where it gets cold, wet, miserable for all but 3 months of the year. But normally in S. Calif. where I am, its quite normal for a motor to sit that long without needed special prep like fogging.

Just fill the tank full to avoid moisture problems, put some stabil in the gas, change the oil and run the bike for a few minutes to distribute the oil and gas. Draining the float bowls if its not fuel injected "may" help but you still have gas that will dry up in the jets, etc. which is where most problems come from. If you are really worried, pull the plugs and pour a small amount of light weight oil down the cylinders, that will help the rings from rusting against the cylinder on the cylinders where the valves stayed open but I would not for a short time like 9 months.

I just this past weekend helped revive a car that had sat unstarted for 40-45 years, some oil was poured down the cylinders the day before and when it came time we cleaned the carbs and started the car with only a few ignition problems (points needed cleaning up), that car had not been winterized when put away. I have also had a motor freeze up when it sat for only 6 years, but 9 months is nothing, especially in a garage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode