I'm suspicious of all these crashes on Mulholland - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2010, 11:37 am Thread Starter
Veteran

I'm suspicious of all these crashes on Mulholland

Videos of a lot of crashes in the same area on Mulholland Drive.

Watching all the videos on this site, I have to wonder if someone is sabotaging the turns in the area. Some of those rear-end washouts and low sides - a lot of them - aren't going all that fast.

For the videographer to sit in the same place and get that much crash videos of slide-outs makes me wonder what is on the surface of that road on that one curve?

I know Cal-Trans puts some fine ball-bearing like sand on the roadway on Hwy. 155 west of Alta Sierra summit in the Sequoia Forest area for snow, but you can see that. Along with the "Loose Gravel" warning signs, cyclists and the locals know to avoid it as you can spin a car out on it, or even slip on it wearing your boots .

Dunno, but I'd like to see what is on that surface of the roadway there.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2010, 12:00 pm

yeah, I am suspicious too. Too many of them don't seem to be going that fast when they go down but it can't be planned, too much expensive tupperware being destroyed for the bikers to be doing it on purpose. I could see the video guy doing it though.

Great road and most bikers do ride too hard/fast on that road maybe the video guy is trying to slow them down, would be a novel way to slow down traffic. After seeing some vids over the weekend I told my wife to remind me next time we are on that road to go super slow, something is wrong there.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2010, 7:18 pm

There are also a lot of crashes in front of a videographer on the Dragon in N. Carolina/Tennessee. I think a lot of that is the distraction of seeing someone on the side of the road "filming" you.

Frank

'17 R1200RS, 2 yrs. 27,000 mi.
'16 R1200RS, 18 mo. 28,000 mi. (gone)
'03 R1100S Boxer Cup Replika 6/200
'85 K100/1100RS, 34 yrs. 326,000 mi.
'05 R1200ST, 8 yrs. 57,400 mi.-3rd deer killed it.
'11 R1200RT, 2 yrs. 30,000 mi. (gone)
'99 R1100S, 2 yrs. 15,000 mi. (gone)
'96 Ducati 900SS/SP, 12 yrs. (gone)
500,000+ BMW miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2010, 9:35 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbubbles
There are also a lot of crashes in front of a videographer on the Dragon in N. Carolina/Tennessee. I think a lot of that is the distraction of seeing someone on the side of the road "filming" you.

Frank
Interesting.

I recall one of the local newspaper photographers was standing in the island of a roadway and got cited (?) for "Obstructing the flow of traffic" or something like that. Seems people were slowing and looking at whatever he was doing or shooting at and the police got into the matter and ran him off.

While out today carving around on some mountain roads, I was wondering what I would do if I rounded a corner and saw a CHP car sitting there. It probably would startle me not suspecting of seeing one there even if I were under the limit. I don't know if I would freeze up and crash though - - and I hope never to find out. A stopped car in the middle of the road on exiting a turn is bad enough (I've weaved around those), but a cop sitting there head-on is another matter.

From all of of that guy's videos of crashes on that one turn on Mulholland Drive, some were not aware of him videotaping them when they slid out. Still, I wonder why and what is on that roadway to cause all those accidents in front of his camera.

I need to go into Google Earth and see where that turn is.

Mack
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2010, 4:06 am
Addict

Ive watched a handful of these and most are just bad riding.

In the slow motion runs the guy on the green bike grabs a handful of brake mid corner when he sees the LEO.

The guy labelled as "shifting error" simply gets target fixation and so does the guy who goes over the rail. Neither of these guys were ever taking the corner once they had decided what they were going to hit and used the brake instead of leaning on the handlebar.

The poor guy on the R1 unfortunately looks like he hits some gravel left by someone pulling out of the side of the road.

The last half a dozon or so at the bottom of that web page do look sus. The dirt and gravel on the side of the road looks like its been diturbed recently with a lot of small rocks and shit.

Those guys with the video would be my suspects.

Frightening!

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Last edited by Dadicool59; Apr 18th, 2010 at 3:52 pm.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2010, 5:15 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
The poor guy on the R1 unfortunately looks like he hits some gravel left by someone pulling out of the side of the road.

The last half a dozon or so at the bottom of that web page do look sus. The dirt and gravel on the side of the road looks like its been disturbed recently with a lot of small rocks and shit.

Those guys with the video would be my suspects.

Frightening!
I'm suspicious of them too, hence the post.

Seems like there are a lot of the "assistants" or "watchers" sitting on that hill with the video person observing the action. Seriously, who would sit there all day waiting for a motorcycle to ride through? Are they that bored, or are they up to something?

Seems there are a lot of them running down the hill on a crash and some yell out "Are you alright?" Almost like they had some idea as a funny joke to distribute something on the roadway and sit back and watch. There's some really nasty small glass beads at most home art stores that come in colors as well and are cheap. Asphalt is a pretty slip-proof surface unless it has been affected with something.

Looking at the area, there are intersecting streets from neighborhoods that dump onto that section of Mulholland Drive known as "The Snake" and one being Reseda Blvd. My sister lived in that area years ago and the kids there do "Get bored."

I don't think even the hardest of Dunlops would break loose at some of those slide-out speeds.

If I were a cop I'd be paying the videographer a visit. Any turn of accidents downward after my 'discussion' with him might confirm my suspicions. Seeing two camera shots (i.e. one off the hill and another rearward off the guardrail area) in the same area makes me even more suspicious.

Maybe the videographer needs a camera on him, and maybe some time before he and his buddies set up in their perch and yell "Action!"

Mack
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2010, 11:02 am
Rookie

Strange thing to watch, there is an awful lot of loose stuff along the roadside, but most of them dont seem to be going all that fast. They have to be hitting something though. Perhaps crap from re entering from the shoulder, where sightseers or picture takers may have stopped. Never having been out there I couldn't say for sure.

Bob
04 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode