'Long Way Round' K bikes versus R bikes - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 12:48 pm Thread Starter
Addict

'Long Way Round' K bikes versus R bikes

Hi all, I played all the dvd episodes from 'Long Way Round' which I got as a Christmas gift. When I saw the GS's piling through floods up to their headlights, I wondered if they were very different from our K bikes. My electrics and possibly the ECU would have flooded at that height of water. They seemed to be in water up to the instrument housing

I also noticed they welded up the rear frame on one bike and the ABS packed up afterwards, the sort of thing that could happen with welding if you don't isolate the electrics first. There were some scenes where the bikes were in mud over their para levers so that surprised me that the ABS would still carry on working. Are these GS Adventure bikes totally different animals to ours - like a 4X4 vesion of a cage?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 1:43 pm

The GS's are like a Hummer, esp the new upcomming R1200GS ADV.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 8:57 am

Also, the ABS can be turned off in these situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 9:16 am Thread Starter
Addict

They had 1 bike, the cameramans, that had the frame welded then afterwards, because the ABS wouldn't work, the brakes didn't and they had to abandon the bike! It was Khazakstan/Mongolia or somewhere very remote. I guess 'turning off ' ABS only works when you haven't arced a welder into the ABS chip!

I just couldn't believe the rivers and stuff they pushed/drove their bikes through and they still ran. They did have a support crew and some training from BMW techs though before they started. I still wonder if a lighter non electronic even 2 stroke bike would have managed the route. From the film, the local bike they bought to replace their broken non ABS working BMW, looked like a Czech bike I rode 30 years ago. It wasn't monoshock, looked simple and was probably more suited to their rear end high payload.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Jan 11th, 2006 at 9:18 am. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode