buying out of state - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2010, 11:29 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

buying out of state

Hi all,

I have recently moved to the US, so I am slowly getting to learn how things work over here by trial and error(which is OK doing the groceries, etc), but not good when purchasing a bike. So I am looking for help on how it works.

I would like to know the following:
1) when I purchase a bike cash in another State - how do I pay the sales tax, or do I have to?? and do people get dummy invoices from the seller for a lower amount??
2) where do I get the tags from??
3) can I ride the bike from out of state legally (with Insurance of course)???

Plus any other pointers on what to lookfor and do???

regards, Simon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2010, 2:30 am
Veteran

The rules vary, depending on the state where you live. Check with your state's Department of Motor Vehicles.

Here is a link for California, where I live:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

Some vehicles (mostly cars) come in versions with special smog controls for California, vs. the other 49 states. There are restrictions about importing a 49-state vehicle if you live in California. I don't know if any current model BMW motorcycles fall into this category. My 1986 Honda Magna had special California air pollution controls on it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2010, 3:59 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonUK
Hi all,

I have recently moved to the US, so I am slowly getting to learn how things work over here by trial and error(which is OK doing the groceries, etc), but not good when purchasing a bike. So I am looking for help on how it works.

I would like to know the following:
1) when I purchase a bike cash in another State - how do I pay the sales tax, or do I have to?? and do people get dummy invoices from the seller for a lower amount??
2) where do I get the tags from??
3) can I ride the bike from out of state legally (with Insurance of course)???

Plus any other pointers on what to lookfor and do???

regards, Simon.
Usually in most states( I am in New York) The sales tax is usually paid to the State where yoiu reside and pay it in order to get the licensae plates.Sometimes, the dealer at the selling place(out of state) will issue you a temporary license plate in order to get home. If not, you first must register it in your home state and pay the sales tax from the selling invoice. It is usually required to have insurance in order to register the bike.
Hope this helps, but you must check with the dealer..

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2010, 4:43 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks for the help, what about buying from a private person???? what happens to the tag form a private sale, can this be used to get the bike to where I live???
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2010, 7:06 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
thanks for the help, what about buying from a private person???? what happens to the tag form a private sale, can this be used to get the bike to where I live???
Tags don't normally follow a vehicle.( At least in Ohio, I can't speak to other states )

For instance, if I were to sell my bike to someone from out of state I would keep
my tag and transfer it to my next bike.

Besides which, there's no way in hell I'd allow a tag with MY name on it to
disappear on down the road with a total stranger.

You really ought to contact your state Dept. of Motor Vehicles with these kind of
questions, you can conceivably get fifty different answers to these questions by
asking it out here.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2010, 8:03 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Why don't you start by telling us which state you are in? It could help refine the answers by a factor of 50.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Call your insurance company and your State's Motor Vehicle Dept. and ask them these questions. Actually your insurance company call them first, they will know pretty much all the answers. And then follow the rules of the RMV. Basically you need to 1. buy the bike 2. insure the bike 3. bring all the requested paperwork to the RMV. (registry of motoer vehicles, we call it in MA). DON'T ride the bike home w/out a proper plate and insurance. Another option that could save you some headaches: have the current owner ride the bike to your home, and drive him home. As for the "dummy" sales receipt, this is often done, but remember your insurance company will look at that number in the event you ever make a claim. And if the sales receipt value is considered artificially low by the State, they will charge you what they deem to be fair market value for any sales tax calculation.
Yeah, there are some headaches buying out of State, but it's worth it if you want the bike. I bought my bike private sale from a guy in NH.
good luck,
Steve
1990 K75RT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2010, 10:14 am
Veteran

SimonUK
As a new resident of our country I think you will find this place is not a third world rat hole. We are not going to chase you down and throw you out of here.
We really need to know in what state you live in to help you out, as vehicle laws are different everywhere.
Example: In Shook Sez's state of Ohio, he states the license plates are removed at the point of sale and retained.
Where I live, California, the plates stay with the vehicle, although a permit is needed to take a sold vehicle out of the state. Also, Calif. has it's own, more strict emissions laws. A used vehicle being brought into Ca. must have 8,500mi. (i believe) on the odometer to be considered used.
XMagna sent you to our state DMV site. This is a great way to start with the DMV site in state that you are residing.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; May 13th, 2010 at 10:49 am.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2010, 12:07 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies, I can appreciate that this is all very dependent on which state I am living in and I was looking for a more general to do list.

I am living in Louisiana at the moment and have seen bikes of interest in several other states.

I am off to the local DMV to get their input on this.

Will post when I have more info.

Simon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode