Wheel Repair Dissapointment - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2010, 8:47 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Wheel Repair Dissapointment

After a meeting with a pothole last month I shipped my wheels out to M.C. Wheel to have them repaired rather than spend $850 a piece for new rims. Wish now that I did. Maybe it's the softness of the K1200r Rims but when doing the repair they scraped and flattened out an area on the outer bead area. The nice rounded outer bead. Oh not one place but two places on the front and one place on the rear. I knew sending them in that they do not guarantee to not cosmetic damages but I think that these are a little excessive. In my mind my rims look like crap now. Time to save up some cash to replace them. I guess you get what you pay for. Just ranting a little. I am just so disappointed. Guess I expected a miracle.

Anthony

Anthony Pino
Turnersville, NJ
2006 Honda GL1800
2007 BMW K1200R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2010, 10:28 pm

well can you clean the edge up some and go get them Powder Coated to match your bike?

Steve
DFW
'07' GT Blue
'12' R1200GS Blue
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2010, 1:59 am

On My cars I have used Body filler on the rims and re-sprayed them to whatever color i wanted... Works well to re create that bead. Lots of work tho... and I have my Bodyman and Painter trades cetifiacates. But if you are on a budget and a winter to leave your bike on a stand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2010, 4:11 am
Noob

Your wheel must have been really bent. This past winter I sent them a wheel off of my 92 R100rt to straighten,also a victim of a pothole. There is a small flat area at the location of the former deformation. It is in the inside of the bead and is almost invisible with tire on. I forget it is even there. Wheel runs true, bike doesn't wobble anymore , couldn't ask for more. Great outfit and great prices.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2010, 7:31 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPK1200R
After a meeting with a pothole last month I shipped my wheels out to M.C. Wheel to have them repaired rather than spend $850 a piece for new rims. Wish now that I did. Maybe it's the softness of the K1200r Rims but when doing the repair they scraped and flattened out an area on the outer bead area. The nice rounded outer bead. Oh not one place but two places on the front and one place on the rear. I knew sending them in that they do not guarantee to not cosmetic damages but I think that these are a little excessive. In my mind my rims look like crap now. Time to save up some cash to replace them. I guess you get what you pay for. Just ranting a little. I am just so disappointed. Guess I expected a miracle.

Anthony
i'd be interested in seeing some before & after pictures if you have them. if you were expecting a miracle maybe your expectations were to high and what you got was as good a job as anyone could have done. are the areas you mentioned noticeable with the tires mounted on the rims???? instead of buying brand new rims maybe it would be a good idea to try and find some used rims from beemerboneyard or ebay.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2010, 3:01 am
Addict

I think Wellcraft hit it right. If a wheel is damaged it's probably only when they check it can they say if it will come true easily or not. Parts of the wheel near the cast spoke will probably be more difficult than distortion in between.

I think the issue is the OP would rather have had some feedback first, but being mail order, he would have had shipping costs either way. It's perhaps a little disapointing that the wheel straightening firm does not take care of cosmetic damage and ship back an 'as new' wheel - but that could cost a lot more for powder coating.

Like you say, a bent wheel is probably best regarded as a write off, so search the boneyards first.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode