good biker gear - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2010, 1:27 pm Thread Starter
Noob

good biker gear

i crashed my honda vfr 800 fi about 7 weeks ago hitting a barrier at 70mph and was told by our friends in the traffic police that it was a miracle that i survived with only a fractured shoulder and severe bruising . it was only because of my clothing that i have skin left , even though my textile trousers looked like they had been put through a shreader i didnt have a cut or craze! my honda died in the crash with the barrier and now i have a k1100lt and loving it but with the weather in sunny scotland being so good just now i have noticed the number of bikers running about in t-shirts or shorts ! ! please guys wear something sensible and drive safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2010, 1:50 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam
i crashed my honda vfr 800 fi about 7 weeks ago hitting a barrier at 70mph and was told by our friends in the traffic police that it was a miracle that i survived with only a fractured shoulder and severe bruising . it was only because of my clothing that i have skin left , even though my textile trousers looked like they had been put through a shreader i didnt have a cut or craze! my honda died in the crash with the barrier and now i have a k1100lt and loving it but with the weather in sunny scotland being so good just now i have noticed the number of bikers running about in t-shirts or shorts ! ! please guys wear something sensible and drive safe
Glad you are alive and well.
Here in the good old USA, you see the "Harley types" in t-shirts, shorts, no gloves and flip flops. In the states, where you can go without a helmet, these same people just wear sun glasses.
Us "Beemer types", always go ATGATT ( all the gear all the time.). I had a run in with a deer several years ago and dropped the bike at 30mph. My jacket, pants and gloves saved the day !

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2010, 8:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Glad you are alive and well.
Here in the good old USA, you see the "Harley types" in t-shirts, shorts, no gloves and flip flops. In the states, where you can go without a helmet, these same people just wear sun glasses.
Us "Beemer types", always go ATGATT ( all the gear all the time.). I had a run in with a deer several years ago and dropped the bike at 30mph. My jacket, pants and gloves saved the day !
Only took one post to turn a good reminder message into an Us vs Them thread ... what a shame.

- CRASH -
IBA# 21680
"Motorcycles and beer, that is how I know there is a God and that he loves us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2010, 9:16 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CRASH-
Only took one post to turn a good reminder message into an Us vs Them thread ... what a shame.
YES ! Last Sunday, I met a small group of 5 BMW's and 1 Ducati rider. We did some 280 miles through 3 states incl CT ( a no helmet mandatory)and we had all the gear all the time.
We did pass several "Harley type" groups( mostly Hogs and a few other brands), and almost universally they wore t-shirts, flip flops, shorts and no helmets in CT.
Yeah, I know it is stereotyping, but in the bike world, it seems to work out that way.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2010, 9:03 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
In the states, where you can go without a helmet, these same people just wear sun glasses.
For the record, laws about riding gear vary from state to state. In California, where I live, helmets are required. Other gear, such as boots, gloves, etc. are not specifically called out. You can find the requirements for each state here: http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2010, 3:44 pm

too hot for a jacket?

For most motorcyclists, riding the bike is a summer activity. Well it gets hot in summer, and sitting astride an internal combustion engine makes it even hotter. I think heat sensitivity is one reason otherwise rational bikers might ride in their shirtsleeves during the dog days of summer. Of course, an armored mesh jacket would solve the problem, but they are very expensive. Many bikers just don't have that kind of money to spend on their hobby. Or if they do, something else (the need for a tire, a battery, a repair) comes up and prevents them from getting proper hot weather gear. I'm not too judgemental about what another biker wears (altho flip-flops would freak me out!), because tho I hate to admit it, every summer there are a few occasions when I leave the jacket home.
Steve
1990 K75RT
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2010, 10:22 am
Enthusiast

Good / quaility gear is cheaper then skin graphs & time healing. True rider ride all year round. If ya don't have the $$ for gear - How did you afford a motorcycle. Sorry but get a bicycle. Evolution in action.

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2010, 11:52 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac829
For most motorcyclists, riding the bike is a summer activity. Well it gets hot in summer, and sitting astride an internal combustion engine makes it even hotter. I think heat sensitivity is one reason otherwise rational bikers might ride in their shirtsleeves during the dog days of summer. Of course, an armored mesh jacket would solve the problem, but they are very expensive.
What a lame - assed excuse. What's the cost of a good mesh jacket - $200 - $400? AND - its actually cooler on a long ride than riding in a t-shirt (protection from the sun) I think this one is under $200.

http://vansonleathers.com/dw/prod/jacket/vx4.html

So our riding brethren can't spend what, less than 2% of the purchase price of their bike to avoid a skin graft? Give me a break.

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2010, 1:43 pm
Veteran

I sent the following as a PM, but decided to share it with the group:

Quote:
See: http://wiki.sabmagfaq.org/Road%20Rash%20Queen

Hospitalization is far more expensive than mesh gear.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2010, 9:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge K
Good / quaility gear is cheaper then skin graphs & time healing. True rider ride all year round. If ya don't have the $$ for gear - How did you afford a motorcycle. Sorry but get a bicycle. Evolution in action.
Several years ago a fellow I worked with crashed on his bicycle while riding downhill . He died as the pavement impacted his face and forehead. Of course he was wearing a helmet, but the nature of his fall prevented it from helping him. In the aftermath of his death, I don't think any of us were cruel enough to suggest that a full face helmet would have saved him.
I can understand you guys flaming me here, but I did not suggest that mc riders should ride w/out ATGATT. Only that I don't automatically condemn every single rider who is not wearing every single piece of gear under every single circumstance. If you do, fine. But someone said a long time ago, let him who has not sinned throw the first stone. I wonder if some of the folks flaming me have not...perhaps last year, perhaps many years ago...taken a ride without wearing a proper jacket???? No , don't bother to admit it.You'll just take a beating here.
Steve
1990 K75RT
YB # 1467

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode