BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Leguna Seca Moto GP 2006 - Advice please

5K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Berry G 
#1 ·
I'm tinkering with the idea of visiting the US in July to go to the races. I would be grateful for any insights from those experienced at attending Leguna Seca. Usual stuff......best viewing areas, are there video screens around the track, where to stay, how hard and expensive would it be to hire a bike, rookie pitfalls to avoid ?. I turned up to the Le Mans Moto GP (hired a bike in London and road down through Normandy - had a blast) a few years back underprepared and had an interesting time to say the least, given my wife will be with me this time i can't afford the fun of winging it. Thanks in adavance

#2 ·
Personally, I like watching from the corkscrew, around the red "x" on the map where it says "FOOT BRIDGE." There's a hillside there with lots of trees for shade, and it's likely to be pretty hot and sunny at the track in July. After you watch some of the race, you can walk around inside the track and see other vantage points as well. Another popular spot is where the other red "x" is near Turn 2. Again, you'll be on a hill and you'll be overlooking a lot of good portions of the track. If it's a brutal day, you'll get roasted there. Many of the good vantage points are occupied by VIP Chalets and so forth; you could consider buying some tickets to those, probably get some food and drinks included in the deal. There were bigscreens set up for the 2005 MotoGP.

I'd suggest calling Ernie Gutierrez at BMW of Santa Cruz County. They might have some rental bikes available, maybe some lodging suggestions. Lodging close by will be expensive, those motels are wise to the event.

http://www.laguna-seca.com/

http://www.bmwscruz.com/

Attachments

#3 ·
We have stayed at the Best Western in Monterey. Really nice hotel with bay windows in the rooms and fireplaces (not that you will need it). Price is good. Wife has owned a travel agency for 20 years, she is good at finding value for price hotels.

#4 ·
If you can find a Flagroom ticket for sale, I'd say that would be your best ticket choice. They feed you breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday and have TV sets available to see the action while your in the Flagroom. They also provide all the beer and wine you could possibly drink, all for the price of admission to the Flagroom. Try calling 1-800-327-7322.

Motels and hotels are the big thing if you're going to stay anywhere close to the track. Monterey, Carmel and Salinas (inland, not on the coast), are just some of the places to stay and those places really jack up the room rates. Just for instance, the place I stay in Salinas usually charges $59.95 US per night but during the Moto GP, they charge $99.95 US per night. Since it is still more than six months before the race, you might have a chance at finding a room close to the track.

If you'd like to see all the race, you need to find a spot by one of the large flat panel TV sets. There is one on the main straight and one at just after turn 4. The corkscrew is unbelievable when you see it in person but your viewing is limited to a short glimpse of the race and you'll only see them from the top of the corkscrew down to turn 9. The remaining time you'll just be waiting to see them come by again.

The hillside between turn 1 and 2 is very popular for viewing the race but it's steep (you'll have to dig your chair into the hillside) and in the sun that will bake you like a potato.

The mornings will be cool to cold and maybe even foggy but once the sun burns off the fog, look out. Use plenty of sunscreen and remember to drink lots of liquids while at Laguna Seca.

#5 ·
finding US MotoGP tickets

I checked out the laguna website and most of the decent tickets are gone. I'm not surprised, but expect any tickets will be extrememly overpriced. This kills the event for me, rather watch it on the boob tube and save the cash for oil and rubber.

ONON-
Mark

#6 ·
Pathogen7 said:
I checked out the laguna website and most of the decent tickets are gone. I'm not surprised, but expect any tickets will be extrememly overpriced. This kills the event for me, rather watch it on the boob tube and save the cash for oil and rubber.
ONON- Mark
I found the same thing when I went to the web-site a couple days ago. Apparently, everything is soldout already. Having never been to a MOTO GP race, I was thinking I'd like to plan on going this year too. Prospects for getting a couple of good tickets don't look good right now. I'd settle for watching it on TV but not sure if it will even be televised.

#7 ·
Getting back to the question .... bring sun-screen, pick-up a portable sun-shade if possible. Consider packing light clothes that breath real well, but keep the sun off - A HAT. (I got burned real bad.) On the other hand, it's on the coast. It could turn quite cool! Camping on site is still available, hotels will run $120/per night on up. I had to drive 15 miles from Watsonvill to get a Motel 6 for $84. You can rent bikes in San Francisco and ride down. There is truly great riding all over the area.

Don't listen to these noobs about the best tickest gone. Any ticket is good. You can move all around the track and find the spot you like. Yes, there are a couple of large screens set-up to cover the action when the bikes are not in site. In fact, that's one reason to be there for the practice runs, find the spot you want during the races. Oh, rule #1 - arrive early each day. Hopefully, they learned from last year and move the arriving bikes faster.

I met a Brit who set's-up the MotoGP trips for his bike club. ( all the Euro, America and Aust. races) 20 club members flew over a week ahead. They landed in Las Vegas and rented bikes to ride over to the coast, then up to the race, and afterwards ride around for a week. Another 120 from the club flew in just for race weekend. It was AWESOME !!! There were so many languages being spoken, truly international! (And a great opportunity for Americans to put their BEST HOSPITALITY to practice.) It took 3 days for the euphoria to wear off.

I took my 13 year old daughter for all three days, and now she's a totaly hooked GP junkie. I'll take the whole family this year. The town of Monteray is a great destination in it's own rite. If your wife doesn't want to be at the track the whole time, she will not be bored!

#9 ·
I found last year to be TERRIFIC!! Fun, excellent viewing with a general admission ticket!! 3 days for $90. that is a good deal in my book and I am cheap.
Bring: sun protection as everyone says (hat, pants, sunscreen). Bring a chair and sit on one of many hillsides, move around and enjoy. We tried several places on Friday and a few more on Saturday. Sunday was quite busy/crowded so we staked our spot early and stayed put. Chose the large hill in the center, facing west toward the jumbotrons, place tower, turns 1, 2, 3 and 4.

The cork screw is very 'technical and challenging" but popular/crowded with limited viewing. Check this out friday for practice and get the flavor!!

OK also bring lunch, water, fruit. Then you can also buy from the vendors when you run out. Seriously, even tho you are traveling, buy and bring a small or large folding chair.

We camped and found that to be a lot of fun, good people and convenient to the track. Parking and driving at the track is scary crowded, slow, long lines. (Camping off site comes with a shuttle service!! Wink, wink.)

A good time will be had by all!!! Don't stay home to watch on TV. You can always Tivo, record, etc.

See you there!! Go Nicky.

#10 ·
Many thanks to all for your advice and comments. Lots of useful info for us to ponder. I always attend the Austalian round at Phillip Island and the lessons learnt there sound like they will stand us in good stead. Always go to the track early, always walk the track on Friday, bring you own food, and be prepared for any weather conditions. The accommodation surprises me...I thought it would have been more expensive......Still not sure if we are going to make but will have to make a decision in the next week I guess. Thanks again for all your help.

#11 ·
mark5lam, mate if you have never been to Moto gp do yourself a favour and just GO. These 990cc machines will blow your mind (and eardrums...aaah the Ducati's....sound like no other). After seeing them live it will change your whole perspective when you watch them on TV. Get what ever ticket you can, book some accommadation and start counting down the days to one of the best weekends you'll have. My experience here in Australia and once in France is of the most amazing festival atmosphere. The biking community is very special wherever you go....if you're on 2 wheels you're a brother (no one cares what type). This could be the last chance you have to see the Great Vale, this is the last chance to see the 990cc bikes before the new 800cc bikes in 2007. I'm sure the ride up from San Diego wouldn't be too hard take.........

#14 ·
cruizbz said:
We have stayed at the Best Western in Monterey. Really nice hotel with bay windows in the rooms and fireplaces (not that you will need it). Price is good. Wife has owned a travel agency for 20 years, she is good at finding value for price hotels.
You should be getting reservations right now. They go very fast for that time of year.

#17 ·
Thanks to all who responded, the info was very helpful and gratefully received. FYI I have decided not visit the US this year, instead the lure of the Tuscan sun proved to great and We have decided on an 11 day bike tour in central Italy with the Mugello GP in the middle. Will be on a Ducati Multistrada...should be awesome......checkout the link.....

http://www.cimt.it/heart_of_italy.htm

#18 ·
If you have the opportunity go....

I went last year and got my tickets and made my reservations in March. I have my tickets for the upcoming event.

First thing.. get a hotel room. I used Expedia to find a hotel. Last year was tough since the only cheap hotel I could find was in Merced.. about two hours from the track.

Not sure what they will do about the traffic this year as last year was brutal. ON Saturday I got to the track at 7 a.m. and didn't have a problem. Sunday the main event, I left later and got within ten miles of the track by 8:30, then spent four hours in traffic.

If you can get a bike it will probably run you $250 a day. You can get a car for $25 a day.

I sat in the grandstand across off turn 11. Pretty boring but depends how adventurous you can be with your wife attending. I walked around the entire track to find the best view. I would got to the corkscrew and stand on the hill above the footbridge. That way you can see most of the corkscrew.

Bring your earplugs. The bikes are really loud. (But you probably know this from going to Moto GP in the past.

If you need tickets, try ebay. That's where I got my tickets last year. Of course you'll find the rip off artists who want some ridiculous amount of money for tickets. But if you check on a regular basis, you will be able to get general admission tickets for close to face. (which is all you need.)

#19 ·
Get on this ASAP. Most of the closer hotels to the track were reserved a few days after they decided on a date, the same thing happened to the tickets. Last year the track actually sold out of them just prior the the event. This is only the third time this has happened at Laguna ever, so most people got on this early this time.

Renting a bike is the way to go to this thing. Reserve one early if you can and enjoy the area.
Your going to see something that anyone that enjoys motorcycles should not miss out on, whatever the cost.

#20 ·
Denis, sorry your not coming to the US this year. However, I do like your alternative. Have you done a tour with CIMT before? I used Edelweiss last Aug to take a tour of the Alps and loved it. I really don't enjoy planning the details so I'm happy to pay someone to work out where to stay and what roads to ride. We are already planning our next tour we had so much fun.

#21 ·
Darryl, no haven't done this before. A leap of faith I suppose given I have never heard of CIMT before. Just came across the web site and found that tour (link posted above) which sounded perfect for my needs. I spent 35 minutes on the Phone with the guy on Friday and he had all the right answers so I booked it. I don't like wishing away the year but I can't wait for May.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.