My k1100 restore - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 10:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

My k1100 restore

Hi everyone,
I just joined the forum and recently started driving a 1996 k1100 rs with 22K known miles on it. This is my first bike and I am new to riding. I bought it on craig's list in 2008 as a project. It was in a collision and was essentially an onion as the parts came off, it made me cry. After two years of browsing ebay and beemer boneyard for parts and lots of time invested I have it back on the road with a clean title (:
I came across this forum and figured I'd put up some pics to see what everyone thought. This is it when I picked it up.

I paid 2500$ for it and 200$ for a spare engine and fork assembly with the front wheel. Now I know I got screwed... so please no negative comments. The guy laughed all the way to the bank and I was left with an insane project that took two years. The story the seller fed me was that the bike was rear ended and only the fairings were damaged. He supplied replacements, which simply needed to be installed and painted. I rode it around the neighborhood before buying and it ran beautifully (hard to kill a bmw). So I got it home and started ripping it apart and found the frame was bent... TERRIBLE. I was stumped for a few days then after much gogleing found The Frame Man Frame Man . Which by the way, all k-bike owners should know about. They have a factory frame jig and can straighten frames, rims, axels, and do fork rebuilds. Part of the process removes all fatigue from the metal as well. I also sent them both rims and my front axel (which were all tweaked).

Here you can see the frame before taking off. It is not so apparently bent in this pic and only the rear cowling portion was noticeably bent. The technicians at frame man later told me that the engine mount portion, tree assembly housing, and rear were all off from factor spec. No biggy, they straightened and strengthened it and sent it back. Voila, now to reassemble it. Now, another thing I did was to paint the frame orange. EVERYONE has given me crap for this and whatever, I like the way it looks. I can appreciate if you don't but before you complain just know I've already heard it.

After the frame was assembled I was in a little over my head. I am no mechanic, I am pretty handy with machines but I was stumped with reassembly. I had problems getting the wiring harness and hydraulic lines back exactly and the chlymer wasn't very helpful. I actually called in a favor with a mechanic friend who helped with reassembly and he painted it as well. and after words this is what it looked like.

What i didn't include pictures of was changing the air filter, gas tank (sucker ended up leaking and had to get a new one and have it painted as well), front brembo caliper, odometer gears, oil change, led kit for instrument cluster, front master cylinder, and front fork seals (which still leak so that is another project). So that is my bike and I LOVE it. BMW makes a product few can touch. I have more invested in it than its worth. I should have parted everything out, but the more time and money I put into it the more it became personal to finish it and get it back on the road. There still is some work I'd like to do on it, but it will have to wait for free time and money. I'm now saving for grad school so it may go to the back burner, especially since its on the road running quite well at the moment. By the way, I am new to posting on this forum so I am not sure the pictures are going to come up where i wanted them.
-Steve-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0933.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	12171   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0934.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	12172   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0935.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	12173   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0969.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	753.2 KB
ID:	12174   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010024.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	817.5 KB
ID:	12175  

Name:	100_0949.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	602.3 KB
ID:	12176   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0964.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	628.1 KB
ID:	12177   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0938.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	652.5 KB
ID:	12178   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1297.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	678.3 KB
ID:	12179   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1294.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	12180  

Name:	100_1295.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	738.1 KB
ID:	12181  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2010, 2:31 am
Noob

Nice wright up, at least you know its all done now.

Why did you go for silver? the red ones are faster?

Cheers
Ray
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2010, 8:28 am
Noob

K1100 restore

It looks great to me. Wish I had you for a neighbor, with you apparent mechanical knowledge I'd be at your house all the time with questions about my K100rs. I think it's a good thing when one can bring a bike back to life when its on death row.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2010, 8:17 pm
Sheep

I would have powdercoated the frame and as many other parts as possible for durability against any elements (no rust/corrosion). But you've done a lot more than I'd tackle... good job.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2010, 12:34 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesareours
Now, another thing I did was to paint the frame orange. EVERYONE has given me crap for this and whatever, I like the way it looks. I can appreciate if you don't but before you complain just know I've already heard it.
-Steve-
I think the orange adds an interesting touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesareours
So that is my bike and I LOVE it.
I have more invested in it than its worth.
-Steve-
Hey guys, none of us have EVER done that, right? (Actually I think its a mandatory requirement for belonging to this forum)

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode