Ever visited other bike forums? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 9:31 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Ever visited other bike forums?

First of all, I rarely post anything. Guess I don't have any insights to share but I just had to vent a little.
What is it about owners of other brands that just have to trash BMW's?
OMG, they have all sorts of problems, they break down all the time, they're unreliable, on and on and on. You would think that there isn't one that goes more than 20 miles without a breakdown.
I will admit, people that do this are the definite minority but you will not convince them otherwise.
What got me going is that I'm trying to sell my '07 VStrom 650 so I visited Stromtrooper.com and registered. Well, you have to have 20 posts before you're allowed to post something for sale, so I'm trying to reach my 'quota'. One of my posts was a reply to someone who just finished an Iron Butt on his 'wee' Strom (absolutely hate that term and normally don't use it) and got to thinking that maybe he would like something a little more refined and with more power. I gave him my two cents and what I thought of my '07 GT. He seemed to appreciate the info and thanked me and said that he may check out BMW's. Well, out of the woodwork comes a Beemer Basher -- "I've owned ten BMW's and I finally got a VStrom, now I can relax and have piece of mind, etc." "My friend has a GT and he wants to sell it because it's so unreliable!" "For the price of repairs you could buy a VStrom!" "If you want a sport tourer, you could buy a Japanese bike that can do everything your GT does" I pointed out that it couldn't.
I also pointed out that on the BMW websites that I go to I don't see people trashing other brands of bikes.
(Deep breath)
There, thank you for letting me vent.
Oh, I also pointed out that if they are so unreliable why are there so many still on the road, some with mileage in the six figure range.
There, I'm done now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 10:54 pm
Noob

All MC web boards have a wealth of information but I take all of the opinions wit a grain of salt.Car web boards are just as bad.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2010, 9:44 am
Veteran

I often end up on other forums in search of info. You should see what goes on on some of them.I guess it is easy to disrespect someone else when you are hiding behind a computer thousand of miles away. I don't mind a bit but you have to draw the line sometimes.

Too easy to turn that grain of salt into a 12 Ga. shell loaded with coarse salt......!

Some of them guys should ride more, when they run into problems, they may be glad some BMW rider stops and help them....oooops did I say H.....s, but I have stopped for many other brands, including scooters like some of them bashers seem to ride on one of them "other" forums.

Send us a link to that bashing thread......

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2010, 3:40 pm
Enthusiast

Those of us with bad experiences with our bikes/dealers/BMWNA will not remain silent. It is an old business truism that when a business has any unhappy customer he will tell 20 others (or in today's social media era, thousands). It is the price the business pays for failing to meet the expectations of the customer. Businesses realize this and weigh the immediate cost of customer satisfaction against potential lost future sales due to damage to the brand image and negative word of mouth. It seems to me from personal experience and comments of others who have had to deal with BMWNA that it has decided to sacrifice future reputation and sales to save money today. I suspect this is due to the enormous financial exposure BMW is facing from a spate of recalls and other issues with its new bikes. I realize not everyone is having issues, but "where there is smoke there is fire" and the recalls combined with many anecdotal accounts are surely producing much smoke.

Whether this strategy of saving money as an offset to customer satisfaction will work over the long term remains to be seen. BMW is a premium brand with many customers paying $20,000+, a considerable premium over other makes. At that price one could expect reliability and a first class dealer/manufacturer's experience. In other industries, this is certainly the case and one needs only look to Tiffany's, Nordstroms, etc. for examples of outstanding customer service. Even BMW's own auto businesses seems to be run in a more customer-friendly fashion. But its cars for the most part are reliable and there is an established, well-funded dealer network, not a hodge-podge of largely multi-brand dealerships with limited technical skills. BMWNA motorcycle group could learn much from studying its MINI group on how to treat customers and provide an excellent sales/service environment.

Thanks for letting me rant, too. There, I'm done (for now).
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2010, 5:50 pm

Well, as someone with no brand loyalty at all... :-)

My Honda Shadow is a lot more comfortable to ride, but not nearly as much fun as my K1200.

Kawasaki is the only manufacturer who I feel has really bad QA problems, but no one is perfect. Still, I may pick up a used VN2000 and put a turbo charger on it for local riding.

Yamaha disappoints me by not bringing either of their 4 cylinder cruisers to the demo rides. I ended up riding the FJR and FZ-1, but I'n not about to buy either new. All the FJR's I've seen available used are the computer operated clutch models, which it seems nobody likes.

Harley priced itself completely out of my market a long time ago, even though I rode them for 20 years and the only bike I put over 250,000 miles on was a Harley.

The lack of a local dealership for BMW doesn't bother me, since I don't take any of my bikes to a shop for servicing. So what if they charge even more than Harley shops do...

The last Suzuki I owned still used screws and locknuts for valve adjustments. I got tired of having to adjust the valves every time I took the bike on the interstate. I expect the adjustments hold much better these days.

regards,
Joe

P.S.
I bought a new GoldWing in 1983, the first of the GL1200's. It spent the first three months in the dealership waiting on parts from Japan, for warranty repairs, before I even managed to ride it home the first time. Then, they replaced the entire engine under warranty, before it was a year old. As I said, nobody is perfect.

regards,
Joe

...Hurry up?!? ...Why?
I've got all the rest of my life, to do everything I'm going to do.

Last edited by sloowpoke; Jun 27th, 2010 at 5:55 pm.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2010, 12:39 am

I have a K1200rs, a fine bike, but, does $140 to bleed the brakes seem right?" 2-3 hours to change the air filter? 1-2 hours and a royal mess to change oil. How about a rattling sound, that sounds truely offensive to a friend close by on start up! " What's the terrible noise?"
It appears that BMW makes it so hard to service, till you have to take it in for work. If you take the plastic off enough times, sooner or later it will get knocked down and broken or scuffed paint job.
I wonder how long before they build the bike so you HAVE to remove the fuel tank to put air in the tires.
A nice bike but, not even close as user friendly.

PS, I know what the rattling clutch is, but, my 5-spd Ford truck is totally silent! And the ABS is never a problem even after 100,000 miles.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2010, 7:03 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokerecord
I have a K1200rs, 1-2 hours and a royal mess to changeoil.
i could change the oil for my 2003 krs in about 30 minutes but you're right it was a messy job i never could figure out why they put the oil filter inside the engine except to drive up the cost for an oil change. still my KRS ran much better than either my k1200s or k1300s and in hind site i should have kept it.

Last edited by Razel; Jul 21st, 2010 at 1:34 am. Reason: fixed tags
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2010, 8:14 am
Enthusiast

I use quite a few different kinds of forums as I have a lot of hobbies (and I'm a perpetual noob at all of them ) and to be honest this is the first board where I have not encountered a metric ton of jackassery of one sort or another. Too many people seem to use the boards to make themselves feel better about who they are by belittling anyone with a different opinion. I think a bit of joking at my expense is fine but I feel sorry for someone who has to try to belittle someone for being different. It simply means they are too insecure to be who they are without support from the rest of the herd.

Now where can I go to poke fun at the Harley guys…J/K

Ride Safe.

"I am a Cafe Racer myself on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." Hunter S. Thompson
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2010, 8:19 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by warregl
Now where can I go to poke fun at the Harley guys…J/K
Ride Safe.
Not on ADVRider anymore....!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2010, 8:50 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
Not on ADVRider anymore....!

Have they gotten a bit sensitive over there? I haven't been there in a while.

"I am a Cafe Racer myself on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." Hunter S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode