2007 K1200GT oil burning question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 12:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2007 K1200GT oil burning question

I have what I believe to be a very simple question: Could an aftermarket exhaust (Remus) cause an oil burning condition in my K1200GT? For some background, I've been riding and wrenching on all types of motorcycles for over 40 years so I have a fair amount of experience in aftermarket exhausts and their effect on engines. I purchased the above bike used from a friend of mine with 3000 miles on it, still under factor warranty until October 2011. My GT has exhibited what I consider to be excess oil usage ever since. Burns a quart of dealer recommended synthetic every 2-3K miles, not terrible and more of a nusance on long trips.

Long story short, took a 4100 mile with two friends riding behind me most all the way( I'm the only one with a V-1 onboard). Both commented that after a long high speed run (80mph) with cruise control engaged, bike would send out a large cloud of blue smoke once cruise control was disengaged and throttle rolled off. This happened numerous times over a two week period. I did witness it a couple of times, and it was a huge cloud of smoke, not a wisp! Last week,I took my bike to my local dealer (as yet unnamed) for a 12K service and to report oil/smoke issue. After looking at my bike, the service manager, with a straight face, commented that my aftermarked exhaust (bought from this dealer) could cause the oil burning because, after all, it's only an air pump and you've now made it more efficient!!

Also consider two factors: bike burned oil before I installed Remus and was reported to dealer, and second, I clearly understand how to check and maintain the oil level on this bike. It was not overfilled. The service manager, again with a straight face, suggested I put the stock exhaust back on. I could only walk away and shake my head.

I've had a few BMWs going back to the '70s, and fully understand they are not perfect. However, if BMW is going to this extent to try and avoid a warranty claim, I'm just about through with them forever.. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 12:40 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrboy07
Could an aftermarket exhaust (Remus) cause an oil burning condition in my K1200GT?

Also consider two factors: bike burned oil before I installed Remus and was reported to dealer, and second, I clearly understand how to check and maintain the oil level on this bike. It was not overfilled. The service manager, again with a straight face, suggested I put the stock exhaust back on. I could only walk away and shake my head.
Remus did not cause the bike to burn oil before it was installed. I would bring back to dealer, perhaps one whose service manager is not so ridiculous, and get it fixed under warranty.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 1:14 pm
Addict

Really-the moron said that! I have never heard of such a thing. Idiot was just lazy and just walked around your bike waiting to give an excuse not to acknowledge a problem.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 2:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Oil Burning K1200GT

Thanks for the reality check guys. Yes, the moron really said that, and the interesting part is that the service manager is currently working at one of the oldest and most reputable BMW dealerships in the state, if not the country. I was originally going to post this thread on the "Dealers" forum, complete with names etc. However, I respect everyone else who works there so much that I would like to give them a chance to recant this most ridiculous statement before going public.

Stay tuned................and thanks again
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:55 am Thread Starter
Noob

Oil Burning vs. Aftermarket slip on exhaust

BMWNA has authorized some amount of investigative teardown work on my bike. However, they have officially stated in writing that the aftermarket exhaust should be removed and the stock one reinstalled as it could somehow contribute to the oil burning condition. When I asked the service manager how this could be possible, his response was "how would I know, I didn't design the engine".

I would really like to hear a response from any of the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers (in my case Remus) as to the plausibility of this. If there's any truth to this, I respectively sugggest that BMW dealers either STOP selling these exhaust systems or at least state that BMWNA believes these could lead to excessive oil burning in their motorcycles.

IMHO, RIDICULOUS!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Rookie

Oil Burning Remus

I have a 2006 K12GT, with more than 45K miles on it.
I installed a Remus carbon fiber exhaust before I reached 1K miles (about the same time I switched to synthetic oil).
The bike has not burned an ounce of oil, even during break-in.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2010, 7:07 pm
Veteran

Sounds more like a valve seal(s) gone bad.

But, the bad part is that ANY PERFORMANCE product can be grounds for denying a warranty "if it alters the original specs and engineering design of the bike." It's in their US 'Limited' Warranty Book (2010) page 12 #4 (ingrained in my memory). Got to be very careful with mods.

The original muffler is also the catalytic converter so that's why it costs $1,430.00. Part that interests me if your engine was smoking beforehand, the cat. should also be fouled as should the Lamda sensor. You might have had a better claim where they would also give you a new BMW muffler ($$$) since the Emissions Code and Warranty is a bit more stringent had you put on the old muffler before going to the shop.

However, they sold it to you and installed it so you can always file small claims against them if needed. Of course, you may have to pay for some engine work before you can get back your costs in court too if the court thinks their installation messed up your bike enough to void the warranty. If you installed the pipe, good luck. Local Harley shop quit selling aftermarket pipes due to warranty issues. In fact, they have very little non-Harley stuff in their shop now.

If it were mine, I toss the factory can back on and take it elsewhere before it gets written up and goes to BMW NA for a warranty claim. If they write it up as "has performance mods" and it needs expensive engine work, you can bet they've got an out and may use it - no matter where you take it, with or without the Remus can..

Good luck.

Mack
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2010, 8:16 pm
Addict

I don't see how it's possible for the after market exhaust system to cause the engine to burn oil. The best you can hope for with the aftemarket is a slight decrease in back pressure due to better flow of the exhaust. None of this can cause the engine to burn oil, and one quart every 2-3K is excessive. I change my oil every 6K, and the dipstick reads full just like the day I changed the oil last. The engine you describe definetly has issues, and it wasn't caused by the exhaust.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2010, 3:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the posts guys, here's the latest and hopefully final outcome. After some unpleasant discussion (!) with Service Manager and shop's GM, BMWMA agreed to teardown and found to quote write up "oil in many places where it shouldn't be" found faulty valve guide seals and faulty SLS valve. All replaced under warranty with NO FURTHER mention of aftermarket exhaust. Very happy ending thus far, work done seems to be exemplary. Just a shame it took so much of a hassle to get it repaired. I really love this bike when it's all right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode