Australia riders - lane splitting and filtering - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:30 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Australia riders - lane splitting and filtering

Australian riders, have a look at this draft proposal Australian Road Rules General Amendments and Regulatory Impact Statement 2005 (do a search in this document on MOTOR BIKE):
http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Repo...RISNov2005.pdf
Basically it proposes to make illegal lane splitting and filtering. While I think lane splitting at high speed is dangerous, filtering in peak traffic should be OK. Write your comment to let them know what you think (nicely of course):
http://www.ntc.gov.au/RFCList2004.as...24034004500204

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 4:53 am
Veteran

howzat!!

I wish to comment on proposed legislation regarding lane splitting by motorcycle riders. Whilst the legislation, if enacted may be of benefit to a few, albeit the inexperienced, I believe it presents potential dangers to others. I have about 50 years experience riding motorcycles on a daily basis, many of those on police motorcycles. I find the habit of riders stopping behind stationery cars most dangerous and I try to persuade others not to do it. I split lanes. It has saved me on a number of occasions. The cars form a natural barrier between me and colliding vehicles and I find with the massive acceleration of a bike, and the reluctance of a driver to sideswipe another car, makes lane splitting a safety must. I cannot recall attending an accident involving a motorcyclist whereas lane splitting was the problem. I have an accident free/conviction free record and if I am reluctant to sit in a line of traffic as a potential target for day dreaming drivers. The real problem is that drivers knowing motorcyclists present no threat to them, they are inclined to not watch them. I strongly suggest that the amendments to the act not be tabled and the decision left to the rider who should ride according to his ability.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 8:16 am
Enthusiast

I know the feeling about being the last in line at a stop with traffic bearing down at highway speeds, I ALWAYS make sure I am set to shoot the gap with my eye on my rearview and the bike in gear in those situations (lane splitting is not legal here in TX)

05 K1200S Blue (street bike)
01 996 Yellow (trackbike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 3:48 pm
Addict

The thing about rule making is it is easy to write down rules in pen and ink and they don't incur much in cost but diminish freedoms. The persons or departments making the rules are looking for general acceptance and credit, whilst the motorcyclists they might affect are a minority voice.

Most politicos fall over when you try to look for real justification - in this case road deaths or injuries if the rules were not introduced. So what are the stats? Of course they might just want to get bikes off the roads.

I think lane splitting and filtering is what I do out of natural preservation for my life. I want to be the only guy on the stop line, cages either side that know I'm there and I know I can beat and with nothing able to rear end me as I'm getting away first with space in front and behind.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 4:29 pm
Addict

Odd thing is that Texas (I believe) has considered allowing this practice. WA is soliciting input regarding legislation for this as well. It is a safety thing as well as a traffic congestion concern. No matter where I am, when it's a question of my life or the law, I always pick the correct action.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 5:37 pm
Looking for better limits...

I don't understand the disadvantages with lane-splitting/filtering, other than cages who find it offensive and sometimes choose to prevent it. Usually the discussions here in California are centered around everyone suffering traffic congestion, rather than seeing that it is actually alleviating it.

Eh...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 5:58 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
I don't understand the disadvantages with lane-splitting/filtering, other than cages who find it offensive and sometimes choose to prevent it.
I tend to agree. If they find it offensive, then they've seen you and know you are there - that's fine with me.

The next thing you know they'll ban rabbit ears and such adornments on our helmets, which some of us deliberately wear to attract attention - particularly when cage drivers are on their mobiles or chatting to their passengers oblivious to a vulnerable rider in front.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 2:57 am
Addict

Lane Spliting

Never done it, and won't start.
I've always had big (broad) bikes so that prevented me, but I really don't have a need for it. I've seen too many dick heads split dangerously, and as such, have never wanted to be classified in the same league.
I do understand the positive effects on traffic, and risk of being hit from behind. Only time I was ever hit behind, was me being the only vehicle stopped at the lights, and some old lady was playing with a dog in the front seat. Having the HD probably saved me an injury as I was only shunted across the intersection (thank god it was empty!).

Ride safe everyone.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 2:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytown
Never done it, and won't start.
I've always had big (broad) bikes so that prevented me, but I really don't have a need for it. I've seen too many dick heads split dangerously, and as such, have never wanted to be classified in the same league.
Ken.
I agree that at high speed, lane splitting is dangerous as there is next to no margin for error (in terms of space and time). But in peak traffic, this is where is is useful due to:
1. Reduce congestion and
2. Enhance safety to riders as mentioned above,
3. Reduce heat fatigue especially in warm weather where it is fine for car drivers to sit in traffic in their air-conditioned cars, wearing singlet and shorts. Us riders have our protective clothing and helmet, sitting still under the sun for a couple of minutes is very uncomfortable let alone in traffic jam steaming with all the heat generated by surrounding cars and trucks
4. Reduce stress due to repeated stop-start actions (pulling clutches, changing gears, put foot up and down).
And in peak traffic, it is highly unlikely that car drivers would switch lanes blindly without looking in the rear view mirrors and over their shoulders anyway.

Tim

Last edited by tatran; Jan 13th, 2006 at 3:03 am.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 8:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatran
And in peak traffic, it is highly unlikely that car drivers would switch lanes blindly without looking in the rear view mirrors and over their shoulders anyway.
Wish that were true, but it's not. If you believe it is, you are setting yourself up.

Not only do some drivers not check for MC's, some are antagonistic and will cut a rider off on purpose - I know. If you split lanes (legal, not-illegal, illegal but tolerated, whatever), the job's yours to watch out.

I do it and will continue (illegal but sometimes tolerated in NYC), but only when I feel confident and am willing to accept the consequences if things go wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode