Clear Plastic Wrap? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2010, 11:07 am Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Clear Plastic Wrap?

OK Guyz, having gotten my bike back repainted after my recent Yosemite misadventure with the pavement in a parking lot, I'm looking for advice and link pointers to some sort of clear plastic covering. I have in mind a clear plastic sheeting which I can apply myself to the vulnerable parts of my tupperware, especially the side case lids, main fairing panels, and the front piece which surrounds the headlight....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2010, 1:06 pm
4RS
Noob

Hello
3M makes a film just for this, here's one link for it. Do a search for 3M chip guard and you'll come up with tons of pages. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...otection/Film/
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2010, 3:09 pm
Veteran

Chuck
Call these guys:http://www.thetankslapper.biz/index.html
I think they are right down in Escondido.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2010, 3:47 pm
4RS
Noob

Here's another link for all kinds of 3M film. You should be able to find something to do the job you want.
http://www.clearmask.com/3M-films.php
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2010, 5:13 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Thanks men. I left a message for a small company in Garden Grove to call me. Reading all the 3M websites, it appears that the Scotchguard stuff is better left to installation by professionals. I wanted to do it myself, but I'm going to get a price quote before I go any further.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2010, 11:00 am
Noob

Try a company I used on my Triumph right across the street from Irv Seaver, Permier Protective Films, did a great job at a reasonable price. Their phone number is:

714 628 0100
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2010, 7:06 pm
Veteran

Chuck.. I've been using the Tankslapper.biz stuff for years..It's the FIRST thing I do to every bike I own... Really pays off in the long run especially when you're getting ready to sell a bike. Chimp easy to install.. they make 2 versions.. the 3M peel-n-stick stuff and their own material which goes on with water.. if you get it wrong just pull it off and reapply.. I swear by those guys... My 2 doubloons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Thanks men. I left a message for a small company in Garden Grove to call me. Reading all the 3M websites, it appears that the Scotchguard stuff is better left to installation by professionals. I wanted to do it myself, but I'm going to get a price quote before I go any further.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2010, 1:20 am
Noob

Snider's Paint Guard from Aerostich works great... its also removable. you can take it off and putt it back on again. Goes on with water. Peels right off. had mine in place a few years no yellowing.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2010, 7:28 am Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Thanks to all for the the advice and suggestions. I have a lot of leads, and now I need to do the research and see which is going to work the best for me. That's what I love about this board! I can throw up a post with a question and within a day people from all over the world offer their real world experience. It just doesn't get any better than that.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2010, 8:53 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Thanks to all for the the advice and suggestions. I have a lot of leads, and now I need to do the research and see which is going to work the best for me. That's what I love about this board! I can throw up a post with a question and within a day people from all over the world offer their real world experience. It just doesn't get any better than that.
When you're done with the research, would you mind sharing with the class?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode