Reno Street Vibrations, Who's going that direction? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 2:48 pm Thread Starter

Reno Street Vibrations, Who's going that direction?

Re: Reno - Street Vibrations, Sept. 24-26. Just thought I'd check to see if anyone from the SF/Bay Area was heading that way. I'm not specifically going because of Street Vibrations as my destination is Truckee. Plan on leaving Friday morning at around 9 AM from the Pleasanton / Livermore area and back road it around Tracy, up to Lockeford, up 88 (or possible 4) to 89, then around Lake Tahoe and over to Truckee. Need to be in Truckee around 4 PM, so was just checking to see if anyone was heading that direction.

Oh and an fyi: Lake Tahoe Marathon is on Sunday (26th) morning starting in Tahoe City and down around Emerald Bay to the "Y" so no north bound vehicle traffic on 89 until the race is over.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

The Ride.

Finally got the pictures off the camera and on flickr, was also going to add a Google route map but have been unsuccessful in getting it to display. (So, if you know how to post a Google map with a route in it let me know.)

Friday morning, Sept. 24th, stopped by a local coffee shop before heading out.

-

-

The plan was to avoid the freeways and stick to back country roads.
The first stop was at Site 300 on Corral Hollow Rd. just before dropping in to the San Joaquin Valley.

From there it was south around Tracy, Ca. to Ripon and the north on Jack Tone Rd. The "Jerky" guy is at the intersection of Jack Tone and Hiway 4 and the jerky is really, really good! I like the Elk.

-

Jack Tone Rd takes you up to the small farming town of Lockford where it connects with Hiway 88. 88 heads in a north easterly direction up over Kit Carson pass (8650ft) and connects to Hiway 89. 89 runs north / south along the western side of the Sierras.
I stopped in Jackson for some gas and was starting to see more Harley's on the road, but nothing like the numbers of bikes that would be on US-80 or US-50. I passed several "packs" heading up 88 as they tend to run a little slower and "accordion" a lot. 89 dumps you out on US-50 at the south end of Lake Tahoe then 89 continues up and around the west side to Tahoe City and then up to Truckee. The only mishap I saw was an "Ultra Glide" flopped over on it's side at the intersection called the "Y" (where 50 and 89 split at the Lake). Looked like a low speed flop, no slide marks or plastic parts on the ground.

This picture is up above Emerald Bay, Lake Tahoe.

-
More a little bit later...

1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S

Last edited by K13GT; Oct 4th, 2010 at 12:51 pm.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

Part II

Arrived in Truckee right around 4PM and there was a tall cold beverage waiting for me. After dipping my toes in the river for a spell it was off to Reno, about 40 miles away. Once there the Strip wasn't too crowded, yet. But things were starting to pickup.

-

-

If you wanted "preferred parking" it was $10 to park on the strip with about 99% being Harley's. I happen to like "baggers" and there was a nice selection.

Ah, but there was still a lot of other selections to choose from.

1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

Part III

Well my friend Susan and I were going to hook up with some other folks about 2 blocks over from the Strip at the new "Reno Aces" baseball stadium (AAA farm team for the Diamondbacks) and on the way we past:

-

I wanted to stop in this fine establishment but Sue was having none of it.

-

So, parched from all the walking we head yet another block over until we got here:

-

And once inside the Stadium there are several restaurants and places to quench your thirst!

-

Ahhhhh, let the party begin!

-

Oh, on the way over to the Stadium we ran into a few of the boys, but didn't see any of the "SOA" representing.

-

To be continued...

1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S

Last edited by K13GT; Oct 3rd, 2010 at 11:09 pm.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 10:35 am
Addict-oholic

So far, great pictures.. More please

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 2:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Larry.

The Aces stadium is really a pretty sweet place and just two blocks off the Reno Strip.
Duffy's is a beer bar, er... "Ale House" with 40+ beers on tap. There are several other bars and restaurants and are open even when there isn't a game.

-

This "Bar" and the patio is outside but under a huge canopy, there's also a stage (see band just getting set-up on the right) and there weren't any "Bikers". Locals start showing up around 9PM.

-

Here a pic of the stadium (not mine, grabbed it from the Reno Aces web page)

-

We had dinner in one of the restaurants that over look the field on the third base side and just outside is a patio area that also looks out on the field.

-

From the ball park we started back over to the Strip but stopped in at the Santa Fe Hotel (hmmmm... make that the bar). The restaurant here specializes in Basque food but since we'd already eaten, Cesar Salad and BBQ Short Ribs over at the ball park. And being how we had just walked a block it was time for a beer. I wanted an "Icky" but they were out.

And yes Nevada used to have a large number of Icky's (Ichthyosaurus) swimming about
back in the day.

-

So I settled for one of these...

1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S

Last edited by K13GT; Oct 5th, 2010 at 3:54 pm.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

After leaving the Santa Fe Hotel we once again headed to the Strip.
Along the way I spotted this sweet gem! Just in case you don't know what it is, it's
a HD Sprint. I think it's 250cc, circa 1968-ish and not the 350cc from the early '70's.
I'd ride that bad boy!!!

-

Next stop was in a building that had about 10 different booths where you could get "Inked".

-

1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 10:21 pm Thread Starter

Back out on the street it was really starting to fill up with people and bikes.
Something a little different...

-

And the world famous sign!

-

They were also shooting off fireworks from the hotel roof in the background too.
We hung around until the fireworks were over then headed back to Truckee.

-

Early Saturday morning I decided to walk across the bridge from the "cabin" and into town.

-

Next time I'm buying all my gas here!!! 27.9 cents / gal.

1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

After having a cup of java I was heading back to the cabin and came across this "S" and noticed something a wee bit different. Care to make a guess? I'd like to have an "S" but in Black with blue pin stripping and blue rims.

-

Anybody on this site own or know who the owner is?

-

The rest of Saturday was spent down by the river enjoying the having a cold beverage or two, watching the trains roll by and grilling steaks on the bar-b-que.
Life is good!

-

-

STILL LOOKING FOR INFO ON HOW TO EMBED A GOOGLE MAP.

1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2010, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

Well I've still had no luck in embedding a Google map(s) in this thread, so here's a link to my route up to Truckee and one for the return trip.

To Truckee, Ca.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...f009fe4d76&z=8

From Truckee to Pleasanton, Ca.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...38e98a5d62&z=8

1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode