Close call on the K12R - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 7:35 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Close call on the K12R

I had a close call this weekend guys. Early Saturday I had gone out for a ride through the Virginia countryside. On my way back I took the interstate so I could stop by my favorite coffee shop and enjoy some caffeinated goodness on their patio. That decision was almost life changing.

I had just turned into my exit ramp (a tight right exiting clover leaf) when the only other car within a quarter of a mile of me made what can only be described as a NASCAR-inspired move to the inside. He came from the far left lane in an “OH-SHIT-THAT’S-MY-EXIT” move, crossing three lanes and almost driving me into the jersey barriers on the inside of the exit lane. I saw it happen and while I was thinking “He isn’t really going to do this” I was adding lean to get to the far inside of my lane. We were side by side in the exit and I could have reached out and kicked his passenger side door. He finally saw me and the look on his face would have been comical if not for the fact he had almost run me into the wall.

He hit his brakes and I was able to ease up on my line and get back in the lane. When we got to the first light after the exit he stopped about 6 car lengths behind me even though there were three lanes open. I guess he didn’t want to look me in the eye. It was a good move as by that point I was seriously angry. By the time I pulled into the coffee shop a block later, I was shaking at how close it had been. He almost killed me for a missed exit, a couple of miles, and a few minutes of his time.

The truly ironic thing is this: when I ride I constantly watch the traffic and think to my self “what do I do if that car does_____?”. It’s how I make sure I am not getting complacent. Just before my new friend made his Earnhardt move I had thought to myself “what do you do if he makes an unexpected move to this exit?” and I had answered myself with “pause throttle, add lean, move to the far inside, and roll on throttle”. It was a mental exercise that may have saved my worthless hide.

My apologies for the long winded story but I needed to tell someone who understands.

Thanks for “listening” and remember they are out to get you.

Ride safe,
Carey

"I am a Cafe Racer myself on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 8:20 am
Addict

I understand all too well. They're always out to get ya - I do know that very well.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13896

Nice save, BTW

Ed

Edoardo Licciardello

To drive is human
to ride divine
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 8:38 am
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warregl
The truly ironic thing is this: when I ride I constantly watch the traffic and think to my self “what do I do if that car does_____?”. It’s how I make sure I am not getting complacent. Just before my new friend made his Earnhardt move I had thought to myself “what do you do if he makes an unexpected move to this exit?” and I had answered myself with “pause throttle, add lean, move to the far inside, and roll on throttle”. It was a mental exercise that may have saved my worthless hide.

I honestly believe that most(not all) motorcycle accidents and car accidents can be prevented thinking this way.

But I probably just jinxed myself...

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 7:52 am
Addict

i feel for you man, i had some dumb bitch a few months ago cut me off by crossing a couple of lanes to avoid missing her exit. just before she cut me off my six sence kicked in and i started slowing down just a tad before she made her move, even then i had to brake hard to avoid running into her. i hit my horn and this bitch had the nerve to start mouthing off, i really felt like chasing her down and smacking her in the mouth.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 9:23 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I know anyone who rides has had someone at least scare them with their antics. But what is it about people that makes them want to blame you for their mistakes? I cut a fellow off years ago, completely by mistake but completely my fault. He followed me into a parking lot and was spoiling for a fight. Now, at 6’ and 220 lbs I’m no wilting flower but I apologized to him. It was my fault! I even told him I was very thankful that he was able to avoid hitting me. Mistakes happen but there is no excuse for not owning them when you are at fault.

Of course that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.

"I am a Cafe Racer myself on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." Hunter S. Thompson
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2010, 9:29 am
Addict

good to hear you made out alright in this case. Ride safe. I've had a few close calls as well.

Once was going to a dealership, apparently some Mexican gardeners in an old beat-up pickup truck filled w/ gardening tools decided that they would try to keep up with me for some reason, and they floored it right behind me (unknown to me at that time). I signaled well ahead of time, and slowed down to turn into the driveway. that's when I double checked my mirror to see that pickup slam his brakes and go into a full skid. I immediately tucked down, cracked open my throttle (good thing I down shift all the time b4 slowing down, and thus was in 1st gear), and launched forward lifting the front a few inches, and nearly avoiding getting rear ended. I then checked again to make sure that idiot was not somehow right behind me again, and proceeded to ride ~200ft on the sidewalk to get back to the dealership, where some guys standing outside gave me the whole story about what happened...

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2010, 8:37 pm
Addict

Thumbs up

Good catch,good save.
I was riding the Gold River road last summer.Ahead of me was a works truck,followed closely by 2 cars.Behind me was a truck pulling a boat.Off the works truck came the sawhorse.The truck didn't even slow down,but the 2 close behind cars went left and right, lickety split.I braked hard to avoid getting into their panic zone,and as I was letting up,I looked in the rear view and saw smoke coming off the truck's tires and the boat just about to jack knife,all within about 20 feet of me.I hit the throttle again;pulled over a few miles later to finish the heavy breathing in peace.Guy in the truck stops.I went over and said,Thanks for braking hard.He said,I must have looked away,I didn't see your brake light.
You just can't never tell,huh.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 9:56 pm
Rookie

Close call

Close calls just come with the territory it's good when they can be called that. I had some idiot break both my arms a long time ago. Wear all the stuff. I would probably be dead if I didn't have all the equipment on. You never know.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2016, 6:00 am
Veteran

I had a huge armored truck do the same NASCAR-inspired move on me a few years ago, crossing over multiple lanes to get to the one-lane exit that I was on. The armored truck was on my left and a solid block wall on my right. I barely avoided a collision by slamming on my brakes (the ABS kicked in). He would have slammed me into the wall if I had braked any less. My heart was pounding, and I felt upset and angry.

I followed the armored truck to the bank, but got stuck at a red light. He must have seen me follow him. I could see his truck in the parking log of the bank. By the time I got there, the driver had finished his business and was leaving the parking lot. It was too late to get the ID number or license plate number, so I went into the bank and asked about the driver's name, etc. They brought out the ledger, but the driver had been smart enough to scribble his name in a way that could not be read. I am 100% sure that it was not accidental.

I called the armored truck company, and spoke with the supervisor, who made it clear that he did not care what his drivers did as long as they made their pickups and deliveries.

- - - - -

Sometimes you don't avoid the collision:

A few years ago, a solo driver in a pickup truck did a sudden NASCAR-inspired move to get around traffic. He whipped across the double solid yellow lines from the fast lane into the carpool lane where I was riding. Of course he did not signal, and I had a fraction of a second to react. To the best of my knowledge, I did everything right, but it didn't matter. Despite hard braking on my part, the back left corner of his bumper touched my front wheel and knocked me down to the pavement at 60 mph. I had a broken toe, thumb, and rib, and a couple quarter-size road rashes, but the worst injury was a badly sprained right ankle. I healed quickly, but that ankle still gives me a reminder now and then.

All that, so the pickup driver could get around a few cars in traffic.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2016, 6:54 am
Addict

Dashcam

I've had a similar experience. Unfortunately, it's only the lucky one's amongst us that get to tell the story.

I'm now seriously considering a dashcam for the car and bike. They are much cheaper now and many cyclists are using them. I used to think the odd stupid mistake by other drivers was something that 'just happened'. Since I've been motorcycling I've hardened my views to the point that if I witnessed a near death experience and had dashcam evidence to prove it, I would have no hesitation but to report the driver. It might save somebody elses life, help with an insurance claim or pick up a passing meteorite event.

Many cyclists are wearing them now. I think if more 2 wheelers used them, cagers knew it and there were a few prosecutions, the word might get around. I would need 2 dashcams. One front facing behind the screen and a second on the side to catch cagers on their cells - maybe a rear as well!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode