Conversion from RS to LT - Need Guidance - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:13 am Thread Starter
Noob

Conversion from RS to LT - Need Guidance

I am about to tackle a monumental project. I purchased my brother-in-laws 1992 K1100RS with 27,000 miles on it for $2,000. Thought that was a killer deal on a K bike with next to no miles. I live in Utah and want to do serious touring. So, I want to remove the upper part of the fairing and replace it with an LT set-up. I've looked at a million pictures on Yahoo and I think it will all go together. Will it fit on the middle fairing sides of the RS? Can I remove the handlebars and replace them with LT handlebars? Will the cables and wiring stretch or do I need to replace all? Will the moving windshield wiring plug into the RS wiring harness? I've been told it will be a pretty serious job, but I'm up for the task if it will work. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 4:50 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter4
I am about to tackle a monumental project. I purchased my brother-in-laws 1992 K1100RS with 27,000 miles on it for $2,000. Thought that was a killer deal on a K bike with next to no miles. I live in Utah and want to do serious touring. So, I want to remove the upper part of the fairing and replace it with an LT set-up. I've looked at a million pictures on Yahoo and I think it will all go together. Will it fit on the middle fairing sides of the RS? Can I remove the handlebars and replace them with LT handlebars? Will the cables and wiring stretch or do I need to replace all? Will the moving windshield wiring plug into the RS wiring harness? I've been told it will be a pretty serious job, but I'm up for the task if it will work. Any suggestions?
Sell the RS and use the money toward buying a nice LT?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:59 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Where am I going to find an 18 year old K bike with only 27,000 miles on it? If you look in the photo gallery I posted a picture of the RS. It looks almost new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 3:08 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Where am I going to find an 18 year old K bike with only 27,000 miles on it? If you look in the photo gallery I posted a picture of the RS. It looks almost new.
I was being facetious. I should have added a smiley.

Still, the RS's are some of the sweetest bikes around. Why change perfection?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 5:09 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider

Still, the RS's are some of the sweetest bikes around. Why change perfection?
True that. The K1100RS and the Ducati 996 are the two most gloriously beautiful bikes EVER made.

Seems a shame to turn a perfectly awesome K11RS into a pedestrian LT.

Ya might wanna spend a few thousand miles riding it as is before you scar it for life.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 6:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

It's an interesting concept, I have not ridden the bike yet. I live in Utah and the bike has to be picked up in Toronto, Canada. I just can't imagine riding for 4 or 5 days straight in that bent forward, weight on my wrists position. My last bike was a Suzuki GSXR 600 and I hated the bike. I couldn't ride it for more than about 30 minutes. And once I get it to Utah I will commute to work with it (50 minutes ride each way) and ultimately my goal is to tour around down to Vegas and Los Angeles, etc.
At 56 years of age, my racing days are over. I agree it is a gorgeous bike. Maybe I'll have it shipped out here for the $700 and then decide what to do with it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 7:58 pm
Veteran

Quote:
It's an interesting concept, I have not ridden the bike yet. I live in Utah and the bike has to be picked up in Toronto, Canada. I just can't imagine riding for 4 or 5 days straight in that bent forward, weight on my wrists position. My last bike was a Suzuki GSXR 600 and I hated the bike. I couldn't ride it for more than about 30 minutes. And once I get it to Utah I will commute to work with it (50 minutes ride each way) and ultimately my goal is to tour around down to Vegas and Los Angeles, etc.
At 56 years of age, my racing days are over. I agree it is a gorgeous bike. Maybe I'll have it shipped out here for the $700 and then decide what to do with it.
I agree....you may want to ride it like that first! I am just slightly younger than you but rode 7,500 Kms through the USA in 12 days from BC to Quebec City on the K1200RS, then back in 6 days, 6,000 Kms in that bent forward slight weight on the wrists position and loved every minute of it.

You just can't compare one of them to a GSXR.....!

Nice bike, great price.....I'd buy something like that in less than 5 minutes if that was offered to me.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 2:08 am
Sheep

I agree with others that you should leave the bike as is. The ergos of the K-RS are not remotely like the Gixxer. I'm 67, never rode anything but standards. I have some nerve damage due to being hit severely in some auto wrecks. I test rode the K13S and that was more aggressive than what I had ridden in past, but then again nothing like the Duc 848 superbike I had an eye on... that was way too aggressive so bought the K13S. It took a couple months to really get used to it. Now 1.5yrs, 22K miles later it's become one of the most comfortable bikes ever for me, no matter whether it's 60mi or 600mi/day on a trip. I've built up some serious strength in my hands/wrists (it's like continuous isometrics) and the slight forward lean does wonders for the back. I ride year 'round on this sport tourer as it's become my daily driver.

The point being.... don't mess with the ergos until you've given yourself some time on the stock bike. In the first couple months I thought for sure I might need Helibars, but sure glad I never changed the layout. The aerodynamics & ergos on Beemers are rarely a mistake for most of us.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Smile

OK, I think you guys have convinced me. Since my stamina isn't that great and the trip will not save me any $, I am going to have it shipped for $600 to my home in Utah. I put a budget together and the trip would cost more than the shipping costs. Thanks for the suggestions. I think I was over thinking this one.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2010, 9:13 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
OK, I think you guys have convinced me. Since my stamina isn't that great and the trip will not save me any $, I am going to have it shipped for $600 to my home in Utah. I put a budget together and the trip would cost more than the shipping costs. Thanks for the suggestions. I think I was over thinking this one.
It being October and all, I gotta believe that shipping the bike from Toronto to Utah is the way to go. As much enjoyment as that trip can be, this time of year makes it a dicey proposition at best. Especially when it comes to possible early snow in the Rockies.

Good luck with the bike. Check it over very carefully, especially the age of the tires on it.
They may have a lot of tread left on them, but if they're a few years old I'd pitch'em and start with known good rubber.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode