Odyssey batteries took a big jump in price. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2010, 6:50 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Odyssey batteries took a big jump in price.

Was in local battery shop today and they guy told me the popular Odyssey PC680MJ took a big jump in price. They used to sell it for $119 (when I got mine about 4 years ago) but now are at $163. Something about the military spec'd batteries, which the Odyssey PC680MJ is one such battery, all going towards to the war and a their need for a lot of lead too.

Just an fyi if you're in the market. Mine's about 4 years old now and it grunted yesterday on cranking like it had a stock BMW battery in it.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 6:58 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Was in local battery shop today and they guy told me the popular Odyssey PC680MJ took a big jump in price...

So do you guys who have used the Odyssey think it is worth the extra coin, even grudgingly so? I may be in the market for a battery this week (in fact I'm hoping that's all I need - but that's a story on another thread )

"I am a Cafe Racer myself on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." Hunter S. Thompson
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 8:13 am
JCW
contributor

Unfortunately with the K12R none of the Odyssey batteries of sufficient power fit in the standard location.

I used to use one that I relocated under the seat where the ABS hardware is on equipped bikes.

Now, I use a speedcell battery. Weighs about 1 pound!!

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 8:32 am
Enthusiast

Doh! 1 pound? I'm sure that wasn't cheap either. Of course, right now I would settle for just starting the bike.

"I am a Cafe Racer myself on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 9:11 am
JCW
contributor

They aren't too bad...

I got the 8 cell with 2 quick releases so I could move it between bikes easily for under $230. I think the battery was $$160.

An 8 cell MAYBE a little small for the stock replacement. I don't run any accesories on my racing bike.

The larger ones are considerably more expensive but I found someone making them on customfighters for $225-$300.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ight=batteries

Here are the speedcell ones for reference.

http://www.motowheels.com/ITALIAN/myProducts.cfm?CategoryID=915|Batteries%20and%20Ba ttery%20Accessories

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 12:36 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by warregl
So do you guys who have used the Odyssey think it is worth the extra coin, even grudgingly so? I may be in the market for a battery this week (in fact I'm hoping that's all I need - but that's a story on another thread )
Good question. So I had a peek at MAX BMW for the stock BMW battery for the K1200GT and it's this now:

61212346800 BATTERY, MAINTENANCE-FREE - 12V 19AH 13.67 pounds $179.99

Seems like BMW has gotten bit by the recent lead battery price hike too. Odyssey is cheaper if they show it as $163.00 (local dealer quote). I did see one online for $119.95 still ( Odyssey PC680MJ for $119.95 here ). Who knows what happens with the final price though. Might have changed as well.

Dunno about the Exide BMW batteries though. They sort of grunt or hesitate after a few months of use where the Odyssey didn't. My Odyssey is now at the 'grunt stage' after 4 years. The Odyssey free replacement period is 2 years for motorcycle battery installations. At the 'grunt stage' it's no warranty on any battery as in "It's just weak, but it still works."

I've pushed the bike before from the gas island when at the 'grunt stage' when the stock BMW battery was about 5-6 months old. It's quite annoying when it happens. Cools down a bit and it and then it cranks again. Odyssey PC680MJ cured that issue for 4 years. Time for another I guess.

Mack
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 4:20 pm
Veteran

I put an Odyssey in my old RT and it lasted at least 6 ...maybe 7 years. Sold the bike with it in there and it was still going strong. I've had one in the GT now for 2 1/2 years and it never hiccups. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 2:29 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

For amusement, TekBattery has some pretty slick batteries at a reduced weight and more cranking power. A five-year warranty too which beats the Odyssey by 3 years.

Link: TekBattery for Motorcycles

Prices? I'm still in shock, but they are on sale!

Mack
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 7:26 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
For amusement, TekBattery has some pretty slick batteries at a reduced weight and more cranking power. A five-year warranty too which beats the Odyssey by 3 years.

Link: TekBattery for Motorcycles

Prices? I'm still in shock, but they are on sale!

Mack
Dude....am I missing something? WTF is up with those prices? Why hell...a feller could have a pretty good night in Vegas for that kind of cash!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode