Originally Posted by 2wheeler
May rent a BMW next weekend in Austin and I'm looking for a great day route. Any suggestions? Thanks.
How far do you want to go?
200 mile route -
- look for 1431 from Cedar Park (north of Austin) to Marble Falls
- 281 north (right) to Park Road 4 (turn on your left)
- Park Road 4 to HWY 29 (turn Left) to Llano
- take 16 out of Llano towards Fredericksburg
-look for Farm to Market 965 which will take you by Enchanted Rock and on into Fredericksburg
- take 290 back towards Austin and turn right on RR 1376 which will take you to Luckenback
- After you've seen Luckenback head south on 1376 to Ranch Road 1888 (on your left) which will take you towards Blanco.
- This merges with RR 1623 which takes you to Blanco.
- Go straight at 281 and take Ranch Road 165 east. That will take you back to 290
- Right on 290 back to Austin
Go to google maps and check the route.
If you are talking the weekend of the 22nd, the Harvest Classic (on Saturday) is a MUST DO:
You'll want to cut the ride to what I suggested and plan on spending a couple of hours in Luckenback. There will be about 100-150 old bikes on display, and literally thousands of bikes in the parking lot. Arguably the largest 'non-Harley' event in Central Texas, although they are well represented.
If you want to go farther - skip Luckenback and keep going south on 16 out of Fredericksburg through Kerrville, down to 337 (mentioned in a earlier post) and take 337 over to Vanderpool and Leakey. Keep in mind this is a long ride - Austin to Leakey and back is well over 400 miles and an 8hour + ride.