Clutch Hose defect/broken line. Lost all fluid! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2010, 10:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Clutch Hose defect/broken line. Lost all fluid!

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=SlateGray]
I could not use my K1200s this morning as the clutch lever went limp after I tried to engage 1st gear. Quick examination revealed that fluid leaked out right were the hose enters the clutch cover at the far end of the hose. I tried to pull out the rubber sleeve that is supposed to protect the entry into the retaining bolt/crimp (size anyone, looks like 10mm?) the darn thing just came off.. It must have been defective to begin with - I don't see any other way it could have suddnely gotten broken...

I tried to price the cable and supposedly it's something close to $400. When you add the dealer labor to replace the hose that looks very well concealed in the engine compartment, I'm beginning to think that this "little" surprise will cost me close to 1k, if not more. Has anyone had any experience with such a situation? And, second question, since the broken hose is still practically of the same length as the original, wouldn't it be possible to crimp a new fitting on the end of the remaining part of the hose, that could be then screwed back in to the clutch housing?

I include pics of the 'bad end' by the clutch housing and the good end by the lever, with a crimped fitting that gave me the idea that perhaps I could deal with the other end by finding a new fitting. I would appreciate any answers how to takcle this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0495.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	12718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0496.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	12719  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2010, 1:48 am

Looks possibly cut?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2010, 11:09 am
Addict

$400 seemed way too high for that cable so I had to look for myself.

05 Clutch line 1 21527709456 $186.44 +core

Chicago BMW has it priced at $155. It doesn't fix your problem but hopefully it will reduce the sticker shock you're going through.

James

’06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

’02 WR250F Stock

’99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

’98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2010, 12:52 pm
Addict

That sounds a hell of a lot to pay for a hydraulic line. If it's anything like the one on the K12's it's made of some kind of nylon.

If it were me I would expose and remove the inner fittings and take the lot down to a decent hose shop where they can make up Spiegeler or Goodrich lines. These kind of shops can even re-use existing end fittings, but polished stainless steel would be nice. It's difficult to see from the diagrams, but the clutch end looks like an olive compressed by the back nut. They use those a lot on braking and air systems, but usually there's an inside ferrule to strengthen the wall of the nylon hose. Clearly you must not over tighten the back nut, otherwise the brass olive just cuts through the nylon.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 7:35 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Saba - the bike was covered in a garage. Little chance it was cut.

Sharkbait - I guess the hose is two-part, so the entire clutch pressure hose is still close to $400. But since I need the lower part - the $155 sounds better. Although, the 2 part aspect of it means more work to get to the transition between the two because it sure is hidden in the frame...

voxmagna - this DIY approach was my initial idea, and thanks for specific suggestions, but see below.

After thinking about it more, I decided to call the dealer and have it towed in tomorrow morning. They want $100 for the 3.7 mile towing to the Manhattan Dealership. Down from 'regular' of $180. Before I talked to the local dealer, I asked the acquainted dealership in Massachusetts where the bike was bought for advice. They said that "nowhere in hell would I be able to pull this pressure line off with both my hands unless there was something wrong with it". The parts manager quoted me the same $155 price for the lower hose as Sharkbait found out and after saying "this should be covered as warranty work", he connected me to their service. The service manager was also very sympathetic and said that he would most likely get BMW to pay for it even though Warranty expired 1.5 yrs ago... but my bike is far away from Boston now... So, equipped with this knowledge I decided to see what Manhattan dealer will do for me as every day I don't have the bike, I lose time and risk getting fired from one of my two jobs. I do have some other bike maintenance to do (leaking front suspension, oil change, 18k service) Maybe they will be happy with the businees that I bring in and give me a break on the defective part.

The interesting coincidence is that the two systems that I am having problems with, were worked on by the Manhattan dealer under warranty about 1.5 yrs ago. They changed the clutch (I would presume they have to take the clutch housing off and probably leave it just hanging on the hose) and they did some front end work (don't remember what, but they said they found some wire loose and took the opportunity to fix it under the warranty). I don't believe in conspiracy's but the coincidence is thought provoking.

If you have any thoughts how to negotiate with the Dealer, I'm all ears...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode