Veteran

Riders Killed in California

Sad news.

See:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/14/cal...ex.html?hpt=T2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2010, 6:29 pm

tragic. Hope they catch that Civic driver and throw the book at him.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2010, 2:08 pm
Noob

4 more killed in Santiago Canyon yesterday by fellow bikers crossing the yellow line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2010, 10:07 am
Enthusiast

Here's another in TX. http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...s-1118793.html - But I do not see a stop signor stop lines for either one? I see no stop sign for the cop going up the hill behind the BMW car parked in the wrong direction. Thoughts?

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2010, 3:28 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge K
Here's another in TX. http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...s-1118793.html - But I do not see a stop signor stop lines for either one? I see no stop sign for the cop going up the hill behind the BMW car parked in the wrong direction. Thoughts?
The motorcyclist was in the wrong for not yielding to the police vehicle on his right. That's probably how it will play out since motorcyclists are always at fault. We're scum in court.

However, after having a woman police officer make a left hand turn in front of me while she was on her cell phone, I can see the point of the article. The semi-truck to my right blew his air horn at her but she was still seemingly oblivious to the deed. Oh, she went through a red left hand turn light too to make her turn. No one home that day.

Personally, I'd disallow use of the devices much the same as the driving public, or leave the deeds to the other officer/rookie in the passenger seat. In CA, they can legally be on too many distraction devices: radio on their shirt, car radio, car laptop, cell phone. No wonder they crash so much. I'd go so far as put any person using any distracted (inc. hands-free) driving device in jail for a night too. There is truly 'nobody home' when they are on the cell phone or texting device and far worse than a drunk driver imho.

Mack
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2010, 3:48 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
4 more killed in Santiago Canyon yesterday by fellow bikers crossing the yellow line.
I show two dead and two injured on that one. Early unconfirmed info was that one of the dead was a LAPD officer.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2010, 5:19 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
I show two dead and two injured on that one. Early unconfirmed info was that one of the dead was a LAPD officer.
The OC Register reports two dead and two injured. According to the article, the rider who crossed over the line into oncoming traffic was an off-duty LAPD officer, who was traveling at high speeds.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/mccun...za-carter.html

It reminds me of this incident, where two Ohio officers were ticketed (four days after the fact) for riding their motorcycles at speeds over 145 mph on Interstate 70:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...peed_cops.html

For those who live far away and aren't familiar with the area, the Santiago Canyon Road is a two-lane winding road that goes through the foothills of Orange County. It is very popular with motorcyclists, but also carries a heavy traffic load. It has a reputation for frequent accidents - cars and motorcycles alike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode