Mr. 'Terminator' in M/C Accident - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 11:24 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Post Mr. 'Terminator' in M/C Accident

Schwarzenegger Hurt in Motorcycle Mishap

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger received 15 stitches in his lip Sunday after he and his 12-year-old son were involved in a motorcycle accident near their home, his spokeswoman said.

Schwarzenegger was riding a Harley Davidson motorcycle with his son Patrick in the sidecar when another driver backed into the street, spokeswoman Margita Thompson said in a statement.

``The governor was unable to avoid the vehicle in his path and collided with it at a low speed,'' she said.

Schwarzenegger and his son were treated for cuts and bruises at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica and released, Thompson said. Both were wearing helmets at the time, she said. They were recovering at home Sunday night.

The other driver was not injured. No citations were issued in the accident in the city's Brentwood section, said Officer Jason Lee, a police spokesman.

The governor was expected to keep his appointments Monday.

In December 2001, Schwarzenegger broke six ribs and was hospitalized for four days after a motorcycle crash in Los Angeles.

The accident occurred when a car stopped in front of him and he was unable to change lanes to avoid the vehicle. His ribs were broken when his chest hit the motorcycle windshield.

``It was very painful, much more painful than the heart surgery,'' he said at the time, referring to an operation he had in 1997 to replace a heart valve. ``A rib breaking is like the worst.''
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 3:27 pm
Veteran

What happened to him is exactly what has happened to each and everyone of us.
At the governor's news conference he said that he was going about 20mph. A woman was backing out of a driveway. She stopped, looked left, then looked right, established eye contact with Arnold and backed right in front of him. IT happens all the time. People just don't see us. Probably lucky he was riding a sidecar rig.
Bruce C
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 4:04 pm

maybe a good thing

Hopefully this event may provide a necessary means for increased motorcycle safety in the DMV manual and automobile training. I'm not too positive what can be done. Can't really inform ignorant people, kinda like someones signature (forgot the screenname), "Can't teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig."

I'm sure the AMA has a few decent ideas. Maybe they can use this incedent to start a push on some issues.

ONON-
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 4:08 pm

I can say that on my KRS after its HID install, and on my S (HID from day one) I have had NO pullouts. Not one. And I ride with only low beam in daylight. This is FAR from the case in my previous years even with the KRS. I think the brighter and bluer light jumps out more at the drivers and triggers their tiny cell-phone-using brain's "hazard" signal. So far, so good, anyway.

Bright lights save lives.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 5:15 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
... kinda like someones signature (forgot the screenname)

ONON-
Mark
mikeodial

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 9:19 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkugel
I can say that on my KRS after its HID install, and on my S (HID from day one) I have had NO pullouts. Not one. And I ride with only low beam in daylight. This is FAR from the case in my previous years even with the KRS. I think the brighter and bluer light jumps out more at the drivers and triggers their tiny cell-phone-using brain's "hazard" signal. So far, so good, anyway.

Bright lights save lives.

I'm about to commit to HID next week for the same reason. Cages don't see yellow lights in daylight. Did you do both low and high beams, and do you get any annoying delay on switching low to high on sweepers at night? What colour temp did you go for? I was thinking 6K.

If you attached an insulated wire to one lamp terminal and wrapped it once round the bike under the plastic, their cellphones and gps's would probably stop working.

The Arnie story made it over here in UK and I'm pleased to hear both he and his son were ok. It seems pretty much a no win scenario, particularly with a sidecar,nowhere to go and no airbag in front.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Jan 10th, 2006 at 10:33 am. Reason: correction
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I'm about to commit to HID next week for the same reason. Cages don't see yellow lights in daylight. Did you do both low and high beams, and do you get any annoying delay on switching low to high on sweepers at night? What colour temp did you go for? I was thinking 6K.

If you attached an insulated wire to one lamp terminal and wrapped it once round the bike under the plastic, their cellphones and gps's would probably stop working.

The Arnie story made it over here in UK and I'm pleased to hear both he and his son were ok. It seems pretty much a no win scenario, particularly with a sidecar,nowhere to go and no airbag in front.

You can buy cell phone jammers easily enough, but I don't know if that would make the drivers better or worse when they get cut off in mid conversation.

George
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 2:15 pm
Rookie

Cool

Reading the news today Mr. Terminator does not have a motorcycle endorsement on his license but a class C endorsement allowing him to drive a motorcycle with a sidecar.

K12Marine
98 k12RS
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 3:45 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvreschar
Reading the news today Mr. Terminator does not have a motorcycle endorsement on his license but a class C endorsement allowing him to drive a motorcycle with a sidecar.
A class C license is an ordinary Ca. drivers license,usually the first type of license a resident gets and there is nothing special about it. And yes you can operate a side car rig among other types of vehicles by having this class license.

Bruce C
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 5:33 pm

[QUOTE=voxmagna]I'm about to commit to HID next week for the same reason. Cages don't see yellow lights in daylight. Did you do both low and high beams, and do you get any annoying delay on switching low to high on sweepers at night? What colour temp did you go for? I was thinking 6K.

I got the lowest color temperature I could; I like the white light better than the blue. And since the S already has dual high beams I just swapped them for PIAA Extreme Whites and am very happy with the results. There is PLENTY of light. And they come up faster than an HID, so you can actually flash them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode