Best Tyre Pressure Gauge? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 4:22 am Thread Starter
Noob

Smile Best Tyre Pressure Gauge?

Greetings from Australia - a nooby here and my first thread.
I've been totally bewildered by the array of tyre pressure gauges on the market. I always like to ride with a tyre pressure gauge in my bike kit as I like to be confident of my tyre pressures for obvious reasons.
I had a recent experience that lead me to realise its time to invest in a decent gauge.
I rode to the Snowy Mountains from Sydney, about a 6 hour run each way one weekend. The bike was due for its 20k service and it was booked in the day after I got home. The mechanic made a point of telling me my tyre pressures were dangerously low. My usual practice has been to regularly check my tyre pressures with this crapy old gauge I keep under the seat or to rely on the petrol station gauge. The message in this experience is that my gauge was rubbish and I find most filling station gauges are hopelessly inacurate if they work at all - time to invest in a reliable and accurate tyre pressure gauge.
I kind of prefer a digital gauge, they are smaller and easire to pack and my failing eye sight seems to see digits better than dials. The gauges I have seen are plastic and generally feel pretty flimsey in my hand. Many are so awkward they will not easily reach the tyre valve and some have such a poor seal when placed on the tyre valve I doubt they would be accurate in any event. Has anyone had a good experience with a particluar tyre pressure gauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 10:06 am

Re:

Welcome to the site Fox. I don't know if you can get the same items we do in the States. Fred Rau of MCN magazine did a test on about 10 different gauges about a year ago. If I can find that mag I'll post the page. I picked the NAPA pencil gauge to carry in my bag. NAPA supplies parts and tools for Jobbers, so are I believe better then a discount store.
It was the most accurate, pencil type.
I am also ready for a digital gauge, but, don't want something from China.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 1:15 pm
Enthusiast

Michelin tyre gauge,I've a friend who runs a bike tyre outlet recommended one,i've had it a couple of years,really good

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/C...auges_125.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 4:28 am
Addict

The best tire pressure gauge is the mechanical type that runs for years with no batteries to go flat or plastic parts to break.

There's a similar larger type with a short flexible hose I keep in the garage. Brass metal gauge and connector fittings.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Tire-Tyre-...item3a6033e041

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 8:08 am
Veteran

An ideal tire gauge (for me) is one that:

1. Reads accurately to 0.5 psi.

2. Stores easily on the motorcycle without taking much space. (Read: Fits in my KGT glovebox along with the other stuff in there, including the SPOT 1 that sits on top.)

3. Stays accurate over many years (and miles) without recalibration, despite being stored on a motorcycle that shakes and vibrates and endures ambient temperatures that range from well below freezing to well above 100 F.

4. Fits easily between the brake rotors and wheel "spokes" on my KGT rear wheel, to measure tire pressure without an "L" adapter. (It must also be easy to use on other vehicles - bicycles, cars, etc.)

5. Seats and seals easily and dependably on the valve stem without leaking air, first time, every time.

6. Uses very little air to measure tire pressure. In other words, you don't lose 0.5 psi every time you measure the tire pressure.

7. Offers a simple and easy way to bleed air from the tire when you fill it, so you can quickly and efficiently set the tire pressure to the desired value. (A simple valve stem "presser" is fine, though it is surprising how few of the high-quality gauges have one. I would prefer a clamp with a bleeder button, though.)

(Note: The numbers are not in any particular order, but included to make discussion easier.)

I have yet to find a gauge that meets all of the above requirements. Maybe one of you can suggest a gauge that comes close.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 1:41 pm
Enthusiast

Aside from having a weekness for buying aftermarket wheels,I've bought my fair share of tyre pressure gauges their cheaper!!,hence my Michelin one is at the end of a long line of the aforementioned,so when I'm checking it gives a consistant number,doesn't use loads of air doing it,and I'm not looking at a needle that says 36 but it could be 37!!.

No L adaptor!! ,i've no idea how I ever managed before.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Smile

Thanks to you all for your very valuable knowledge, experience and suggestions. I reckon XMagna Rider has it one, the perfect gauge for bikers hasn't been invented yet. Chris' choice is the best I can see on the net especially with such a strong endorsement, i will have to give it a go. Since I raised trhis "burning" question I have been given an "Accutire Mechanics Tyre Pressure Gauge" to try. I must say so far its only OK. Still feels flimsey despite a rubberised grip, the "lifetime Lithium battery" sounds a bit rich and I still have the annoyance of having to try three or four times to get a solid seal on the tyre valve during which time you have lost 0.5psi.
Come on world why can't someone design and manufacture a decent handy size tyre pressure gauge.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_...All-Categories
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 8:49 pm
Addict

Talking

I have three or four gauges all differant makes and models, (electric digital vs Diaphragm) and I cross check them all to be sure they read close to the near same about every other month.

I like the electrical read out type with a lighted back ground, but I may get the style that talks next time.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 10:26 pm
Noob

I have been using a digital gauge from Roadgear. It has a 90 degree head, digital readout, and gives vocal readings. Four years and works great.
http://www.roadgear.com/

trigger

HI-HO SILVER, AWAY
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 1:20 am Thread Starter
Noob

Smile At Last a Tyre Pressure Gauge for motorcyclists

Ureeka or something like that I've found it! Gentlemen and any Ladies reading this post I believe I have discovered the best tyre gauge money can buy, one that meets all our motorcycling needs so aptly listed by XmagnRider. It's the Topeak SmartGauge D2
Behold the beauty, everything we have been seeking and I can attest to the fact that the Bloody Thing works! I bought one today and the adjustable valve head makes for a certain and air tight connection first time everytime, it reads in three different modes, has a large digital LCD display for the visually challenged (like me), can be reset to zero almost instantly, has a 30 second auto battery saver, is small, compact yet solid in structure and even has a swivelling head to reach those hard to get at tyre valves.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Floor.../smartgauge_d2

http://www.topeak.com/mediafiles/ass...ile/1?WYSESSID...

Check it out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode