Need advice for Neices husband for a cruiser - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2010, 3:19 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Need advice for Neices husband for a cruiser

Neices husband took the MSF course and it looking for a cruiser, maybe not now (too bad b/c of the good deals in the fall and winter) but next spring probably.
He wants a cruiser, he knows that, and not adverse to an Asian import. Probably 750cc or so, he is heavy enough that a sub-500cc probably won't cut it.
Right away i can tell you that I am sort of partial to Kawasaki when it comes to a Jap bike, and he is trusting my opinion.
But, the point for the post, is what is a good deal for an Asian cruiser in this range? What bike would YOU recommend? Probably used unless anyone knows of good deals on something new, a "smokin' deal" on a great, overlooked bike?

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2010, 4:32 pm

I would first make sure he is making an educated decision. IMO, cruisers might look cool but are very uncomfortable on any trip of distance.

But, if he insists, I would say: "Honda Shadow".
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2010, 4:54 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

I don't think he is a long distance kind of guy, but thanks.
Gilly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 8:13 am
Addict

suzuki boulevard seems to be a nice bike, forget the model but honda just came out with a new 1200cc sport tourer. i think his best bet is to visit several dealerships and sit on a few bikes to see which one fits him best.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 11:40 am
Looking for better limits...

I'd also suggest he keep riding, as time has a funny way of erasing things for newbies and what they learned in MSF

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 2:31 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for all thje comments, welcome anything. Good advice on getting "something, anything" to ride. He is in the Chicago area and I didn't know he even took a rider course. Might need to polish up a bit next year! I'll mention this.
Gilly

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2010, 7:12 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Looked through a few sites, the one that caught my eye was the 750 Shadow Phantom, has the blacked out Harley "Dark Custom" look to it, shaft drive, and saw a new one on eBay for $7050. Kawi doesn't have anything in this CC range.
Honda has a few other types of Shadow models if my BIL doesn't like the dark, blacked out look.
Gilly

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2010, 10:20 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
Looked through a few sites, the one that caught my eye was the 750 Shadow Phantom, has the blacked out Harley "Dark Custom" look to it, shaft drive, and saw a new one on eBay for $7050. Kawi doesn't have anything in this CC range.
Honda has a few other types of Shadow models if my BIL doesn't like the dark, blacked out look.
Gilly
I really loved my shaft-drive 1986 VF700C Honda Magna. It lasted 21 years, and I was still riding it when I replaced it with the BMW. The shaft drive was quiet and truly maintenance free. It was very reliable. Honda dealers are everywhere; the bike will be well supported.

The Shadow Phantom 750 bike you selected has a lot in common with that ol' Magna. I think it is an excellent choice to recommend to your "nephew". It is a great starter bike for a large guy. I would think about buying a used bike first, then selling it off (for almost what you paid for it) after getting a year's experience. Then your "nephew" will know better what he really wants.

Here are a few things that my Magna had that this one doesn't:
* V-four engine (smooth, quiet, and not available for these types of bikes any more)
* Tachometer (can be added)
* Headers that go underneath the bike (I don't like pipes that run next to my legs, which seems to be a universal design for the V-twins)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2010, 10:48 am
Veteran

Geezz... Asking opinions on what kind of motorcycle for a 3rd party is like asking what kind of woman he should look for... It's a VERY "personal" thang and everyone has different opinions..If he's like every other motorcyclist on the face of the earth.. it's NOT just about what's a good deal or what's on sale...It's an emotional choice. My 2 doubloons.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2010, 2:17 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Right, Oh and I referred to him as my brother in law, it's my nieces husband. Does that make him my nephew? Hmmmm.
Oh well, I asked him directly if he had visions of being a Harley owner, and he said no. If he wanted a Harley the market is usually pretty good on used Sportsters, but I do like the fact that Honda is a shaft drive, and the price is pretty decent. Probably a bit more than a lightly used Sporty, but better than a new Sporty.
Anyways, he ASKED, I didn't offer, an opinion. If I were to be looking for a cruiser I'd probably just get the Harley instead of an imitation. But like Pirate says, it's a personal thang, the nephew in law will ultimately buy what he wants.
Gilly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode