Lithium Motorcycle batteries - Shorai - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2010, 3:03 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Lithium Motorcycle batteries - Shorai

Has anyone used or heard anything about these batteries ?
2.12 Lbs. 270 CCA, carbon fiber case, more here- http://www.batterystuff.com/batterie...18A1-BS12.html
http://www.shoraipower.com/default.aspx

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753

Last edited by Cambridge K; Dec 30th, 2010 at 3:08 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2010, 9:29 pm
Noob

Talked to the rep at the show and it will be my next battery. Very nice and light, when i picked it up thought it was just a demo with no guts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2010, 9:03 am

LiFePO4

Very exciting technology, still in it's infancy resulting in high cost. One nice feature is it does not need to be kept fully charged while in storage as a lead acid battery does, extremely light by comparison and apparently not as toxic or hazardous. Sounds like a win, win situation to me! Just as with everything else, early adopters will pay the premium price, but at 1/5 the weight, I want one
...thanks for the tip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2010, 10:05 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I found this on another site as well - some additional info about lithium batteries and Shorai...

I can answer some of your questions and you can visit the site...http://www.antigravitybatteries.com/ for more in depth info.

The lithium battery won't really help a lot if your bike doesn't start well in the first place.. but what it does offer if a little bit quicker turn over rate because of higher Cold Cranking Amps, but there are differences in the lithium Lifepo4 batteries like the Shorai Company in your post....

There are two different types of Lithium Lifepo4 Cells... Prismatic and Cylindric... being blunt the A123 Cylindric cell is the only tried and trusted unit that has major cranking amps. A123 systems is the real originator of the lifepo4 chemical makeup that is the industry standard. There are many Chinese knock offs in the Cylindric style, but nothing comes close to the peak amp output or constant amp rate, so no one uses them. The Shorai in your picture is made of Prismatic Cells... Prismatic cells do offer higher Amp Hours, but much lower cranking amps than Cylinderic. They do offer the weight saving though. I like their case alot and the price is very good. But they are not close in power relatively speaking to a battery made of A123 cells....But then again if they used premium cells the batteries would be more expensive. For example their 7 amp hour battery puts out 107 CCA... a comprable 7 amp hour battery using A123 cells (like our Antigravity 4600) puts out 240 Cold cranking amps twice as much... and that will actually spin your motor faster. I actually use the 4-cell in my SXV 550 which is 2.3 amp hours and puts out 120 CCA... So there are trade offs in price performance and looks... just do some research first.

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2011, 8:56 pm
JCW
contributor

I've been running these batteries for the last year on my zx-10r and have a quick disconnect to trade it between the kawasaki and the bmw.

Except I got the even smaller battery like this one.
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/my...or=&collection

Worked great and they lose VERY LITTLE charge sitting on the shelf.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2011, 12:28 pm
Veteran

I just got an email from a local place that is going to sell the "Antigravity" batteries. The last start I made with my GT was a little ponderous, not sure if it was going to start or not. Although due to several factors (MOSTLY me being a wimp) the bike had not been ridden much up until the point I put it away. (If this keeps up I might have to get a cruiser or something stupid like that). Anyways, the bike is an 07, bought in Aug 08 new (leftover 07), and has the original battery, which from the sounds of it might be some sort or record. With the battery mounted so high in the bike I would imagine a superlight battery would be big check in the "plus" column. Any comments? No, not about me being a wimp.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2011, 6:16 pm

Gentlemen.

While the prospect of spending lots of $ to save a pound, the weightconsious among us will find the largest potential of weight saving by consulting the bathroom scale.

New technology is always fascinating. And if you want it, buy it.
But the weight saving is neglibel. Why spend extra money on a "super" battery as long as the regular one does the same job for less money?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2011, 7:42 pm

Iknow, Iknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by knutk
Gentlemen.

While the prospect of spending lots of $ to save a pound, the weightconsious among us will find the largest potential of weight saving by consulting the bathroom scale.

New technology is always fascinating. And if you want it, buy it.
But the weight saving is neglibel. Why spend extra money on a "super" battery as long as the regular one does the same job for less money?
I know the answer to this ...you are saving the planet
, you are saving way over one pound.
and they report that LiFEPO4 is better suited to non continuous use with extended periods of storage at 30~40 percent charge. technology
...add, I weigh 145 lbs. and it's all sprung weight
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2011, 8:07 pm
Veteran

I use lithium batteries in all my electronic laptops (I got 6 notebooks to chase around.). The things only last about 18 months and then they die very fast. I've wondered if they don't have some sort of coffin-nail chip in them to kill them off just outside the 12 month warranty.
Same goes for the metal Ni-Mi or whatever they call them small AA sized things. I had two die one me last week that I threw out. Absolutely no volts at all out of either one nor would the charger even wiggle them back to life.

The new die pretty fast and hard, imo. Lots of amps, but not lots of life.

Mack
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2011, 7:02 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrialsRider
I know the answer to this ...you are saving the planet
, you are saving way over one pound.
and they report that LiFEPO4 is better suited to non continuous use with extended periods of storage at 30~40 percent charge. technology
...add, I weigh 145 lbs. and it's all sprung weight
..Just run with 1 gal less fuel in your tank...not only do you lose weight you save 3 bucks...And every fuel stop in the next 3 months the savings go up..buy the end of March you should be saving around $4.50 per stop...its a win win

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode