Magazine road tests and rider size - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 9:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Cool Magazine road tests and rider size

I wish all magazines would include the riders size in their reviews.
They usually talk about comfort levels for the rider and sometimes passengers. However if you don't know if the rider is 5 ft 2 inches or 6 ft 6 inches it is not very useful to the reader.
At 6 ft 5 inches and 320 lbs with a 35 inch inseam when i am looking for a new ride and doing some research it makes it difficult to gather any usable information from these reviews.
I am looking at purchasing a new bike this year. My wife usually comes with me as she is a great passenger. I may be getting a bit long in the tooth but I still like to go around corners and let the pegs drag a bit on the pavement.
If I can find a 1300 Gt that is my first choice. If it fits my frame and can handle the GVWR of my wife and I plus luggage for a trip of 3 to 5 weeks.
Any other guys out there that have the same problem.
I wish they would build a bike with a higher GVW and no I don't want a Harley. Nothing against Harleys some of my friends have them but it is just not my style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 6:26 am
Addict

With your stats, I suggest you doing some test-rides on some demos. Most reviews on magazines will often show the rider, and to me, they're all in the 5'10 +/- 2" range, and about 180 +/- 20lbs.

As for GVWR, bikes are usually designed around an average, and since you fall outside that average range, you will probably have to get some custom suspension units. Or leave the ESA setting one step higher on the preload.

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 2:48 pm
Enthusiast

Motorcyle Ergonomics Calculator

Not sure how accurate this is but its fun anyway.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 9:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I tried the web site and it is indeed fun to play with and does give some idea of riding position.
Test rides are a good idea but where I live they are very hard to arrange and a 20 minute test ride does not truly show the comfort potential. I have ridden many 700 plus mile days in the past so I should be able to find a good bile that will fit. I did a short ride on a Ducati Streetfighter and didn't feel too badly cramped. I am interested in the new 1600 GT and may go to the Vancouver show to see if there is one that I could at least get to sit on. My other choice is the 1300 GT that I feel I can make fit. I just wish that manufactures would spend a little time making things for us bigger than average types. They see so concerned about lower seats for the shorter population. How about us XXXL types.!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode