need help - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2011, 9:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

need help

I have a 2008 k1200s bmw bike, spring time is upon us, and its two to three years old, time for the yearly check up, i was just wondering if any one knows if this bike hydraulic value lifters, or regular lifters, and also what is required for this bike being three years old this may. please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:05 am
Looking for better limits...

Valves are not hydraulic. They suggest 12k-18k between valve checks.
What maintenance has been done in the last three years, and how many miles on the bike?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:57 am

no lifters

AFAIK: The valves are neither hydraulic nor do they employ lifters. Instead, these are overhead cams which act directly on the valves. It's what's called a bucket and shim adjustment. A real pain in the butt to adjust, as you have to pull the cam shaft to replace shims.

Valve adjustments have nothing to do with years, and all to do with miles. Luckily, once you have done them 2 or 3 times everything settles in and you are not likely to need adjustment for many miles after that. You just check them and don't have to replace any shims.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism, complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and solemn preachers thundering doom. The name of God is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object remains the same: to suck all the life out of life and make you live on the husk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2011, 10:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hey, there is 23, 339 km's on the bike, since i received the bike i have done three oil changes, and new tires, other then that, i have done nothing. just wanna know prices (ruffly) and things to check and look in to.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2011, 12:09 pm

You do need to change the brake fluid every couple of years. I bet you can go one more season before checking the valve clearance or just go for it and not worry. I did mine at 20,000 miles and they were good. I do not plan on checking them again until 50k miles. I am at 35K right now. They are very stable. Also do not forget to change the final drive oil. Be careful with the clutch fluid. I believe your year bike has mineral oil, (check it out), the use of brake fluid in there will trash all seals and require complete replacement of all parts. If it is mineral oil, 4 year cycle is not too out of line.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2011, 4:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
You do need to change the brake fluid every couple of years. I bet you can go one more season before checking the valve clearance or just go for it and not worry. I did mine at 20,000 miles and they were good. I do not plan on checking them again until 50k miles. I am at 35K right now. They are very stable. Also do not forget to change the final drive oil. Be careful with the clutch fluid. I believe your year bike has mineral oil, (check it out), the use of brake fluid in there will trash all seals and require complete replacement of all parts. If it is mineral oil, 4 year cycle is not too out of line.
To flush the brake fluid i know how to besides flush the abs system,do you have any pointers on that, and as well as the clutch flush im not to sure how to do that. and yes it is mineral oil.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2011, 6:52 am
Addict

As you are new to the bike and some things may be different to what you think, it is a good idea to buy the Clymer service manual which has good descriptions and plenty of photos.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2011, 9:22 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
As you are new to the bike and some things may be different to what you think, it is a good idea to buy the Clymer service manual which has good descriptions and plenty of photos.
There is no Clymer or other third-party manual for any of the current K1200 models with the "Slant 4" engines. Every once in a while, I leave a request on Clymer's website, but I don't think BMW's production numbers are high enough to cover Clymer's costs to produce such a book, especially with the K1600 models replacing the GT.

Your best choice is to buy the BMW RepRom. a repair manual on DVD, from your BMW dealer. The RepRom is a little pricey, costing just over $100 here in the USA, but it is well worth the money. As always, I strongly urge everyone to buy a genuine copy from their local BMW dealer. Cheap illegal copies are available on the Internet, but I strongly discourage anyone from supporting those slimeball leeches who profit from others' hard work.

The RepRom has its own software, and requires Microsoft Windows to run. I run it under Windows 7 on my Mac using VMware with no issues. In the past, I ran it under Windows XP.

The RepRom includes detailed procedures for checking the valves, flushing the brake fluid, and much more. The valve check is non-trivial, requiring you to remove the radiator. After you reattach the radiator, you need a special vacuum filler tool to replace the coolant.

Another source of maintenance procedures and info are various how-tos on k-bikes.com, i-bmw.com, and some superb work by SemperFi on the BMWMOA website.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Addict

Sorry, I missed that, thanks for the correction.

You are probably right on what Clymer will do if there isn't the sales volume to make it worthwhile.

With so little information about, it's probably wise then for the OP to go to whatever sources he can for information. Whilst we all do our best to help on procedures etc, I think you need something from an authoritive source to start with, then add internet advice on top as the next layer, rather than the other way around.

Unless you let the Stealer do everything!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode