1985 K 100 RS special edition colors - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2011, 10:23 am Thread Starter
Noob

1985 K 100 RS special edition colors

Hello all, My name is Paul. I am an experienced rider and currently have 7 Bikes of all persuasions. My most recent love is a 1985 K 100 RS which was a real barn find. i found it in a New Mexico rancher's barn and it had been "stored" for the last ten years. I fixed it up and have loved riding it over the last year and a half.

I am perplexed as to the paint scheme. I am an experienced custom painter of cars and bikes (for fun) and the bike is not a "factory color". To my eyes this paint was done at the factory as there are no "over spray marks" or colors hidden underneath the current paint. For the last year and a half all my BMW buddies insist that nothing ever came out of the factory with these colors.

The colors are as follows, fairing is red and white with small light blue pin striping. the engine covers are powder coated red as well as the wheels. The BMW emblems are of a different type with variation on the typical but very different. EVERYTHING LOOKS AS IF IT WAS DONE AT THE FACTORY! I have scoured websites and books that show special color schemes but with little success until yesterday when I was looking at another BMW to buy and a BMW restorer heard me tell of my weird k 100 RS with the red white and blue paint scheme! He pulled out a book and said he heard about this paint scheme but it was for another model. I was so excited. He showed me pictures of this I believe R 90 that was purported by BMW to be the last of its kind and it had a strikingly familiar paint job although the engine and wheels were not powder coated and the BMW emblems were "normal emblems". He said that perhaps BMW came out with a 1985 Special paint scheme for the K 100 RS. At least it gives me hope.

Can anyone tell me anything about this special paint scheme? Any thoughts or ideas or places for me to inquire look or find more information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help and if you ever need a hotel room in Santa Fe, New Mexcio please let me know.

Kindest Thoughts,

Paul

He showed me a the
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2011, 10:57 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdasassy
Hello all, My name is Paul. I am an experienced rider and currently have 7 Bikes of all persuasions. My most recent love is a 1985 K 100 RS which was a real barn find. i found it in a New Mexico rancher's barn and it had been "stored" for the last ten years. I fixed it up and have loved riding it over the last year and a half.

I am perplexed as to the paint scheme. I am an experienced custom painter of cars and bikes (for fun) and the bike is not a "factory color". To my eyes this paint was done at the factory as there are no "over spray marks" or colors hidden underneath the current paint. For the last year and a half all my BMW buddies insist that nothing ever came out of the factory with these colors.

The colors are as follows, fairing is red and white with small light blue pin striping. the engine covers are powder coated red as well as the wheels. The BMW emblems are of a different type with variation on the typical but very different. EVERYTHING LOOKS AS IF IT WAS DONE AT THE FACTORY! I have scoured websites and books that show special color schemes but with little success until yesterday when I was looking at another BMW to buy and a BMW restorer heard me tell of my weird k 100 RS with the red white and blue paint scheme! He pulled out a book and said he heard about this paint scheme but it was for another model. I was so excited. He showed me pictures of this I believe R 90 that was purported by BMW to be the last of its kind and it had a strikingly familiar paint job although the engine and wheels were not powder coated and the BMW emblems were "normal emblems". He said that perhaps BMW came out with a 1985 Special paint scheme for the K 100 RS. At least it gives me hope.

Can anyone tell me anything about this special paint scheme? Any thoughts or ideas or places for me to inquire look or find more information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help and if you ever need a hotel room in Santa Fe, New Mexcio please let me know.

Kindest Thoughts,

Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode